The Spiritualist Lounge

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Rad Bad Nomad, Feb 4, 2012.

1. What's up fellow spiritualists and tokers!

This is a place for everyone who believes in a higher power and a spiritual existence to come share their views about life and the mysteries of the universe!

I guess I'll start it off with a couple questions.

How do you define God?

What do you think is the purpose of life?

How does your spiritual perspective on things affect how you live your life day to day?

What is your favorite spiritual activity?

How would you define yourself?

Love and Light :smoke:

2. Hey man,

I have something to contribute about the "purpose of life".

First, let me start off by saying that I don't consider myself to be very "experienced" (I don't think this is the right word, but I can't think of any other) in the spiritual sense. I actually think I've just been starting to "wake up". I never gave much thought before about what I'm doing or why, I have just simply been doing. I'm still trying to sort out how I see the world and what role we play in it. I'm a beginner basically. I've just starting meditating lately in attempt to shut off the incessant chatter that is my inner monologue, my thoughts.

Anyway, I've been pondering lately on what the purpose of life is. I've concluded that there is no one purpose. At least one universally accepted purpose. And when I thought that, today, I became quite depressed. I feel as if a sudden loss of motivation has swept over me. When you think that no matter how much money you earn, no matter what job you attain, no matter how high you climb the ladder of life, at the end, you will lose it all. All that which society today places so much value on, will fade. So what is the point?

On one side, I don't feel so depressed. Maybe it is a good thing I've realized this. And now I can assign my own point to my life. Live it how I see fit.

I hope my post doesn't seem too scrambled up. Like I said, I'm still a "beginner" and am just now starting to articulate these thoughts.

I hope this turns out to be an interesting thread.

What is your view on the purpose of life?

3. Whoa man thanks for sharing! Couldn't have asked for a better first post.

We are all beginners here man, don't sweat it you're definitely heading in the right direction. Meditation is a wonderful place to start.

Ah the purpose of life, one of the great mysteries. You are right, there is no "one" purpose, as the purpose of life must remain constantly balanced between those subjectively experiencing it and those who are not.

But, after saying that, if I HAD to define the purpose of life it would be "to create balance". The universe is in a constant balancing act between expansion and contraction, life/consciousness is just one more means through which this dance is done.

It is to learn and to teach, to grow and to wither, to go out and to come back.

Those are all objective answers, but each individual will also have their own subjective purpose to their own subjective life. Examples include: ending suffering, acquiring money, having sex, etc etc. Is one purpose better than another? I can't answer that with certainty just yet.

And as far as the realizations you've been having, it's completely normal to feel a little bit of depression when you realize what a "mainstream" existence in today's society really is. A waste of life. But also as you're coming to realize, and many others are as well, it doesn't have to be. More people are "waking up" every day, the world is quickly approaching a tipping point. Hopefully we will be able to come out of the chaos better then we went into it, I have faith.

Thanks for your input man :smoke:

4. #4 Magnuson, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
    I've always thought God was all-being, all-knowing, nothing - yet everything. Which is why I think when you're grateful for your life and aware of how beautiful our lives and world are you are being thankful for God.

Would have to describe it to you in person to understand, but you get the jist ye?

-To be happy, spread happiness and love to those around you, enlightenment, just to love others and positive vibes.

How does your spiritual perspective on things affect how you live your life day to day?
    -Makes me appreciate every second of my life, the beauty of everything.

-Unmentionables, meditation, thinking, lucid dreaming, etc.

-A blossoming flower

5. Yeah I get the gist, I have similar views of God and what he is. I think the best way I can put it is God is the "energy" behind the illusive shell we see, touch, and feel. Or even further, "God" is what originally created the energy in which we know in this universe "cannot be created or destroyed", but he also is that energy. Basically, in the beginning he "transferred" his energy into many different forms, and that's how "reality" originally came into existence. In the "end" God will draw this creative energy back into himself, "transfer" it back into it's original form, and begin the cycle anew.

This is why the circle is the most sacred of all symbols, nothing describes the phases of existence better than this. Ellipses would also fall into this, because though existence is indeed cyclical, it is always just a little different. We see this symbolism throughout the entire universes, from how our earth and the other planets orbit the sun, to how the earth goes through it's seasons. Each year the seasons are always the "same", but they're always "different".

I'm not sure what I was rambling about but hopefully that made some sense? lol

6. #6 KaptainKush21, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
    Great Thread man. Im digging these questions and discussions. I actually just got done meditating about 15 mins ago.

How do you define God?
    I think of "God" as like previous peeps have posted, all-knowing, all-being, also I think all religions are right in their basic roots, kinda of like all pieces to a very large puzzle of the cosmic consciousness, something we as humans cant comprehend, because it is way beyond us. But man has manipulated these religions, or spiritual guidelines or help, into something we all see and read and experience everyday.
    I dont believe humans are really suppose to live the way we do.
    Caught up in the everyday bullshit, money, stress, just everything that doesnt matter.
    Maybe the "universe" itself is "god or gods"? who knows. But we will find out one day, when we each embark on that journey into life without flesh, also known as death.

Love, spreading love, and all things positive, enlightenment, attaining enlightenment, just being in tune with our surroundings both physical and spiritual and cosmic.

Just appreciation for alot of things we take for grant, every second Im alive is a blessing. Me being an artist and creative person makes me really appreciate some of the talents I have, Just honestly makes me appreciative and thankful, even on the bad or down or sad days. I try and keep focused on the bigger picture.

Thinking, unmentionables, learning about myself and my mind/body, listening to others thoughts or experiences, meditating, liquid mind pandora radio (check it out) greatest music ever, dreams-and everything involved with them.

A creative artsy person, who sometimes thinks he has things figured out, but the universe amazes me and quickly puts me in perspective everyday. Just a spec of dust in this vast amazing place of existence trying to explore his own spirituality and explore the universe and myself in it.

keep on smoking and pondering
    :smoke:

7. The Purpose Of Life

There is no purpose to life :)

in this vast nothingness of perfection
    why would one want to go and find something better than this?

This is it. ! :):):)

8. The purpose of live is to keep breathing in my opinion

9. does that not make it unattainable to complete this purpose?
    because eventually there is the cessation of bodily functions. :)

10. "I am that I am."

What we see is God... so there's really no need to name or define it.

"Meaningless, meaningless, utterly meaningless says the master."

No point. "It's all been done."

But that means you are free to make up whatever point you'd like... just try not to get too attached.

"The Lord is my shepherd,
    I shall not want... "

'True contenment is contentment indeed.'

"... He makes me to lie down in green pastures."

Nothing is my favorite thing to do. All things are the same without discrimination.

"King of Kings."

I alone am nothing. No definitions needed.

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."
    -Buddha

11. #11 Philosophocles, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
    Purpose of life is to live, and to die. To find harmony. And to continue the infinite cycle of life. Simple as that.

It happens at the smallest level of life, take plants for example, they grow, live out their life, then die, giving nutrients back into the land, allowing the next generation to grow, thus continuing the cycle. Nature if we look at it like a single entity, has found harmony, it is an infinite circle of giving and receiving.

This cycle continues even at the largest levels of existence. Take stars for example. A star is created and then billions of years later, it supernovas. Then in it's aftermath, in the cloud of elements that it leaves behind, new stars are formed, some which will supernova in the billions of years to come, then creating new stars.

I believe humans have not fulfilled our meaning of life, we are not an infinite circle, but a straight line. We take but we don't give. We're a straight line, not a circle. And until we reach a circle, I don't think as a species we will fulfill our purpose.

How do I define God? God is everything. God exists but at the same time doesn't. God isn't an all knowing, all powerful entity with his own consciousness. It is not one thing. I like to think of like this; we like to think of ourselves as one bieng. e.g, "I" want to move "my" finger so "I" move "my" finger. But we are not ONE being, we are a collection of billions upon billions of cells that work together to make one. Neurons fire up in our brain which send a message to the cells in the finger which then moves it. All this works together to make me. Like this, God is not ONE being, God is the collection of everything that is, was and will be; light, energy, gravity, consciousness, emotion, the physical and metaphysical, everything.

12. #12 TesseLated, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012
    I define It as being beginningless Energy...the thing that permeates all things and experiences Itself through That. It IS Consciousness, It IS Motion, It IS Matter, It IS space...It is All....no separation is possible. We are being perfected in It.

The purpose of life is to enjoy it. It experiences Itself through us. Thats why we are here.

My goal in Life is to help/give back to others...To live a life looking inward to understand my Self (my perception of it..lol), yet outward to understand others. Both are needed, imo.

I define myself as creative, yet simple...lol...There is greatness in simplicity.

Great thread! :smoke:

I put this little story in my thread but Ill but it here too....

In my first class everyday I have two first graders.... I give them a 5 minute break halfway through the 50 minute period to chill out by the books and the comfy chair....

I hear many interesting exchanges during this time....while Im getting their homework in their folders, etc...but the other day I heard William say to Jay....

"Have you ever thought that nothing matters?'

He asked him like three times before Jay replied 'Oh yeah, sure'.....

William says....'Well, something DOES matter'....Jay just looked at him as William had his hands in his pockets...

He said, 'PEOPLE matter, dude.......yeah, people'

13. How do you define God?
    How wouldn't I define it? :p

What isn't the purpose of life? :p

It makes no difference.

Living.

No idea, but I had an interesting thought while walking yesterday.. I can liken my willpower to Moses, and my emotions to the sea (Red Sea?) that he parted. Not that I'm a Christian.. but the thought struck me and I was intrigued :smoke:

14. there is no purpose of life...life is life..."God" recognizing "God" is the purpose of life id say...the ultimate goal for the individual soul is to recognize and become one with "God" while in the human body

15. Haha great! I have a bit of a different opinion on the singular conscious of "God" then you do however. You mention specifically the fact that our bodies are made up of billions of individual beings operating as one, and we experience that singular consciousness, so if God is indeed the collective of all the individual things in existence (us included), why therefore should we assume that collection of all things would not be undergoing a similar/totally different singular experience. Also why shouldn't our cells be having their own singular experiences to which we are only semi-aware.

I've pondered a while whether or not the earth (gaia) is a consciousness entity. Like our consciousness has a one-way communication with our cells, the earth has a one way communication to us. We can understand what it wants us to do, but we can't really "talk" directly to it. Just like our cells can let us know what they're thinking (through things like cancer/depression/etc) we can communicate to the earth - through our actions.

I think I'm rambling again... too... high...... haha :smoke:

16. Im sort of a pantheist/panentheist that believes there is a "source" of energy behind and possibly beyond everything. but i don't see it as a higher power or anything, just "the source". there's no need for higher or lower because we are all part of it.

but im agnostic and an athiest. I don't believe in god, and i don't know.

I do believe in Qi, and i meditate, tai chi, etc. so i have spiritual parts of my life.

it effects my day to day life a ton because it's a world view and an occupation of my time. its part of the development of myself and it also helps my pain and sadness or anger.

"it" being my spirituality.

I think the purpose of life is happiness and peace, empathy and compassion. and to follow your path and do what you want.

My favorite spiritual activity is meditation. actually my acupuncture sessions because my acupuncturist is a mentor to me on this journey. that, then meditation.

I try not to define myself

17. i have just deleted my ramblings ..... i read it back to myself and it made no sense!! i couldnt post it.. :)) sorrry

but i would like to say... what a great thread... and reading the views, comments, insight, love n stuff..... i am greatly moved to say... Maybe there is hope for us... us as a species ... maybe us humans can " wake up" and change. Save this planet and ourselves!! There is a chance.

Peace

18. Wow powerful stuff there man, glad I could be part of something to inspire such hope.

I'm sorry you deleted your thoughts man, most people on grasscity are experts at deciphering scrambled thoughts (seeing as we have them so frequently) haha

19. I believe in the spiritual essence, but I do not believe in a 'god'

Unless you consider 'god' to be an infinite source of absolutely every (of logical existence or not). Not something that created everything, per say, but that existence is infinite.

I believe in everything in existence is created from frequencies, waves, energy, what have you, that extends from a single point, but since it is infinite, the single source of everything never really begins, and never really ends. The human brain is a structure of waves of matter created to receive and interpret other waves that we consider necessary to existence. Thoughts are waves, matter is waves, light (color) is waves, energy is waves, everything is made of a specific set of frequencies.

Now I say that everything emanates from a single source, that source, since it is the central radiation of everything, could be considered a god in a sence, but it didn't create anything, it doesn't maintain anything, it just is.

Our brain is capable of thinking because each of our thought processes is really a very specific frequency. Only your brain can pickup the channel of your thoughts, EXCEPT in cases of telepathy, be it voluntary or not.

I could go on forever. Yes, I consider myself spiritual, yes I have creationistic beliefs (Is that even a word?), but no I do not believe in god, or not in the typical sense of a god.

20. look within find where you begin, all in all after all