The spiders Are Our Friends Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by smokehound, May 26, 2014.

1. Because we want them for pets :laughing:

[​IMG]

Here's a native scorpion from my area, Paruroctonus silvestrii- possibly gravid (I hope!)

Interestingly in this species, the females are larger and bulkier, and have larger stings and claws than males, the majority of species in this genus are the complete opposite when it comes to sexual dimorphism.

2. My wife "accidentally" killed that scorpion I caught >_>

Ill get another eventually

-yuri

3. I know this is a spider thread but found these imperial moths mating thought it was cool and you would appreciate it:)
    View attachment 1801413

How are your lilbuddy's doing btw smokehound?

Attached Files:

4. I want a pet tarantula, but i can't get it because they don't like to be handled. I don't want a beautiful spider to just sit in a box all day like a furniture. I want to treat it kinda like a hamster.

5. Tarantulas vary wildly in temperament, not by species or genus, but by the individual.

A commonly kept species, Aphonopelma chalcodes -better known as 'Desert Blondes'- Is known for generally being slow to react, though this isn't the rule.  Some can be extremely defensive, and will readily kick a cloud of hairs in your face, or just outright bite you without any warning.  If you want a spider you can handle, consider getting a jumping spider from the genus Phidippus.  They can literally be tamed.   They may not be huge, nor can they live 20+ years like a tarantula, but they can live to be three years old, and are always entertaining to watch.  I occasionally sell them, great genus.  People love them.

6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX_rgHHWwv8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-yuri

7. I can't imagine having a jumping spider pet. They are so tiny and effectively teleport around.

Forget trying to keep them contained LOL

Though I am curious how you tame one and iif other spiders can be tamed or trained

-yuri

8. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434579957.400864.jpg just found this beast in my basement.

9. I don't kill spiders, as they are beneficial. If I find one in my home I catch it and let it go outside. However, I don't want any as pets. I prefer cute things that I can train. 

10. spiders make great decorative pets. Like plants

-yuri

11. No thanks Yuri. I'll stick to plants and fish to fill that void. 

12. #272 yurigadaisukida, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
    Same here. Come August I want to have a purely aesthetic aquaponic beta tank with aquaponic houseplant in my room

-yuri

13. What kind of spider is this?

Just curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5lgCKt5YQ

14. Very nice. You can train Betas as well. When I bred fish I had betas that would swim through hoops and push ping pong balls around. Cool fish. 

15. #275 forty winks, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015

Dead in two hours with a 4 hour erections.  Sounds like a plan!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11466651/Spider-that-can-give-men-four-hour-erections-found-in-Tesco-bananas.html

16. Sounds like another hoax.

-yuri

17. This guy has been here the last few days.
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1434729899.211336.jpg

Pretty cool looking...like a big X.

18. I have always bee scared of spider but I love what they do form our ecosystem. I try not to kill spider's at my house. Me I'm tons cared so I won't catch them or kill them. My GF always catches them and takes them outside puts then near or in our gardens.
    One time while I was living in southwest Florida, I went to take a piss( or fertilize with nitrogen ). On the side of an empty street lined with woods. I took one step into the treeline and walk right into a banana spiders web and of coarse it was huge and on my face. I screened so loud the house a ways down the rd turned their lights on and looked outside. I smacked it off in the woods and ran like a baby. But ever since then I have been much much less afraid or scared of spiders.

19. I used to work at a zoo at the education department where i worked with tarantulas, snakes, rabbits, turtles, and whatever small animal you can think of, even hissing cockaroaches.

one day i turned around after cleaning the sink and seen a tarantula shedding in a ziplock bag, they don't shed like snakes.  I thought the mother fucker was on top of the zip lock bag out of it's cage.  I almost shat through my mouth.