The smell

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Potato313, Dec 18, 2012.

1. How bad is the smell when you have plants growing? I plan on doing a first grow with some autoflowers in my closet having a small set up. The only thing I'm concerned about is the smell, how bad is it? If there is a smell how can I prevent it from stinking up the whole house?

2. They will smell... You cover the smell up by sucking the air out of the room via a fan, that air then passes through a carbon filter. Do a search for ventilation. Go to amazon and search for fan and carbon air filter. Those will be the parts you need along with matching size duct work.

From what Ive seen, a grow tent is the easiest way to do this

3. Thanks, I have heard some things about carbon air filter, looks like more research needs to be done lol

4. Yes - They will smell more than you can even imagine. If smell is a concern definitely get a fan and carbon filter and have someplace to vent the air to.

5. Reportedly some strains do not smell that much. I haven't grown any of these evidently because mine wreak. Its not something you can explain other than to say it is the strongest pot smell you have ever smelled in your life. Harvest time is the strongest.

As the said a good fan filter combo will take care of the smell.

6. I plan on doing it in a closet, where would be the best place to vent the air out too?

7. Closet is a pretty tricky spot for ventilation without having to cut holes. If your willing to do so, it all depends on where the closet is. You can Look at Co2 to eliminate venting, pricey though.

8. I am going to grow in a tent and just exhaust the air into the room where the tent is located. I might aim the discharged air at an ona container just as some back up. If that dont work, luckily my mechanical room is nearby and Ill just tap into an old fresh air intake that was drilled in the side of the house for the heating equipment.

9. Guess I got to look at a few more things before considering this, it is kinda tricky, since it really isn't directly facing a window. Plus not really looking for anything to pricey, just a regular kinda thing.

10. The potency of smell depends on the strain , for me anyways. I usually just have my exhaust fan coupled with my carbon filter and run it 24/7 .

For example : my master OGK had a lovely smell to it but was nothin compared to the Gods Gift pungency . I'd go with a fan and filter though. They pay for themselves and can last 18 months .