the smell of males and females

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sibannac, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Sorry for reposting, but I am having very little success getting an answer in the newbie board. During veg, is there a difference in the smell between males and females? I have some plants wich smell rather good, but a few others which have no noticable smell. Could this just be weak plants or is it a sex thing? The ones which smell clearly have tricomes on the leaves, but the others don't have any noticable tricomes. I know females produce far more tricomes than males, so could this be why there is a difference in smell?

If they are just weak plants, should I trash them and concentrate on the good ones?

2. I think the answer to this question is too vague and your barking up a bare tree. Just my opinion.

3. OK, verrrry vague answer ;) fair enough. I just thought that maybe some experienced growers might be able to tell me whether or not males and females smell less or more pungent than the other during the veg state. Didn't think it was a particularly tough question.

In regards to weaklings which have no scent, are they worth growing or could the space be better used?

4. Its not, im just a noob, someone here can proly help more than I.

5. I don't have much growing under my belt, in my brief experiences I'd argue that yes, females smell more than males in veg, but the difference can depend on so many things that you should not scrap a plant before sexing it.

6. During veg NO; they smell the same and you can't tell the difference in physical characteristics either. Some say males are taller but, whenever someone says that or I assume it in my garden, nature tricks me and it is female. You can NOT tell male from female during veg. My question is why do your leaves have THC on them if they are in veg?

7. I know you can't tell with physical characteristics before flower, I just thought smell might be an indication. Thanks for clearing that up :) Does the plant not produce thc during veg, not even in small amounts?

8. a mj plant in veg stage will produce thc, but in very little quantities. not even enough to get you stoned, i don't think.

9. What is it that produces the pungent smell then, if there is such negligable amounts of thc?

10. Just curious, do you know where the seeds came from or are they bagseed,
    I wondered if its because they're bought seeds and with some of the seedbanks selling seeds with very unstable genetics meaning not all the plants you get will be the exact strain you bought

11. They are bagseeds (from the same grower), they are a first time grow for me, kinda test crop before I commit to expensive seeds.

12. Yes it does produce some THC in VEG but only in very small amounts. Can you take pictures of the leaves so we can see?

13. Its the resins that you smell and not the THC
    THC and other Cannabaniods are present within the resins, both male and female plants contain the resins

I also can say with certainty that some females I have smell skunkier than others of the same strain? I really tend to think its more of a healthier plant producing more resins than the less aromatic plant