the SMALLEST you can grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Squim, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Ok, I'm planning on experimenting with growing really small plants, like trying to do it in a 4 liter plastic bottle. I dunno. I don't expect it to work out, but it would be cool if it did so I'm going to do it no matter what you guys say.

I just want to know from you, what do you think the smallest possibles space you could grow weed in would be?

2. The smallest? Probably a PC case. If you start a grow in a 4L bottle post some pics.

3. yea if you do def post some pics, it'll be good to see

4. Yeah I definitely will.

I think i read somewhere that the smaller the volume of soil that you use, the smaller your plant will be. Does anyone know if this theory has any merit?

5. #5 champloo, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2009
    Yes thats true, your going to get a root ball, literally. There will be like no soil left lol. I dunno man, maybe a naturally small strain, like an auto flower or something.

Go for it though, i had a stretchy 2 ft with ghetto lights from home depot and in a small pot, for like 2 months, then it got destroyed. But when i pulled it out, it was just a big ball roots in the shape of the pot, next to no soil visible :p. The thing was still green and healthy lookin too, exept it never ended up getting 7 fingers even, it got to 5 and kept making those, and then it stopped growing almost all together and just kinda sat there.

6. last year my plant was in a dixie cup and only about 8-10 inches
    when it started to bud outside.
    which means you technically CAN force it to flower after about a month of seedling

7. if ur going to do it that way, start with a jiffy pod in a dixie cup, then transplant to an 8oz cup with good airy soil after couple weeks. before 12/12 transplant again into ur 2 liter bottle. u can finish it in that. u can cram a lot in a little space. depending on veg length of time, they can still get pretty big. the flowers wont be huge due to the crammed roots, but will work nonetheless.

8. I once read a thread where a guy posted that his friend once flowered a plant in only
    a single OZ of soil, inside a coke can, with LEDs. Some kinda "smallest plant" contest
    back on OverGrow or something like that.

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

9. I did this once with only a south window . Waited about 4mo and lucky for me it was a girl . The girl was in a spare room the season for growing outside {window} was right for flower time and so it did real nice like. I was very happy but the smell of weed was going skunk city i had to get rid {dry it} now . Sad ending roomie thing it was his house .

10. Easy. Get a clone, plant in small container. Wait a week, flip to 12/12. Smallest you can grow. :)

11. The SMALLEST plant you can grow will give you the SMALLEST yield you can imagine.
    Is it worth messing ???

12. #12 Squim, Mar 10, 2009
    it's only for personal use, and i don't smoke a lot.

Sweet.. what kind of yield did you get?

13. #13 Klutter, Mar 10, 2009
    Ya realize you can literally train one of these down to give ya a bud the size of a pencil right... it's simple training and cutting.

I'd highly recommend googlin' up bonzai methods, and not necessarily for MJ, but in general. If you incorporate the same methodology, you'll end up with the smallest MJ'er you can get.

I'd also recommend avoiding any auto-flower strain for this, as you'll need to train in veg for quite some time to promote leaf size reduction.

It may also take a few tries to get the right sized light.... could be a couple Christmas light bulbs for all ya know...so start small and work, well, smaller.

If ya do this please journal it and update this thread with the journal link - I think it's an absolutely fantastic/novel experiment!

14. Thanks.

For making leaves smaller, i just cut them off right? then smaller ones will grow in their place? i think i read that somewhere...

15. It was the shot class contest was a good thread could use anything you wanted but pot size was not more then 1 oz those crazy guys got some good results was fun to watch

16. if you fimm and trim you can get a short and bushy plant with a decent yield out of a 4" pot. Idk how tall it would get tho

17. aight now all i need is to get my hands on some more seeds... haha

18. Put a pinch of soil in a thimble, put a seed in there and germ it, when the cotyledons break the surface you have now "grown" the smallest plant imaginable. But to what end?

19. to the end of being cool. I mean growing a small plant with at least like a bowl or two of yield, not just a seedling.

20. I believe it would be much cooler to pull down several ounces than a bowl.

I could see experienced growers wanting to try this for kicks. But then I don't think they would be asking about it in the Beginners section.

FWIW, my advice is to try just focusing on the basics and successfully growing out a strong yield before you start getting fancy.