The smallest reptile ever!

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Storm Crow, Jan 29, 2021.

1. I found this to be quite interesting-

Scaled down... why this tiny lizard is the world's smallest reptile
    Colin Freeman
    Fri, January 29, 2021, 11:16 AM
    [​IMG]
    The minute lizard - known as Brookesia nana - Glaw et al, Scientific Reports 2021

Small enough to perch comfortably on a human fingertip, it might be mistaken from a distance for a cricket or a beetle.

But while this insect-sized chameleon may be barely half an inch long, it still holds a record-breaking place in the animal kingdom - as the smallest known reptile on planet earth.

The minute lizard - known as Brookesia nana - was tracked down by a team of naturalists in the northern forests of Madagascar, the Indian Ocean island that lies 250 miles off Africa's south-east coast.

According to the team's findings, published in an article in the journal Scientific Reports, it is proof of how animals that evolve in isolated island environments often grow either far smaller or larger than the norm elsewhere. (snipped)

Yahoo is now a part of Verizon Media

So we now have a brand-new, record-breakingly small chameleon where even the "big" females are less than 1 inch long. And apparently, although only about a half inch long, the males are very "well endowed" for their size! (They saved that "naughty" fact for the end of the article.) The study, however, comes right out and makes no bone(r)s about the focus of their study. (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun) :laughing:

Just for you "hard-core science nerds" :coffee:-

Extreme miniaturization of a new amniote vertebrate and insights into the evolution of genital size in chameleons
    Extreme miniaturization of a new amniote vertebrate and insights into the evolution of genital size in chameleons | Scientific Reports

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Love you Granny...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I could see having a big terrarium with a few of these becoming a fad. But that won't happen unless they breed easily in captivity. They very well may be endangered, but being so small and inconspicuous, no telling how common they are on Madagascar.

Granny :wave:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Wow!!! I Never Knew there was a Reptile that Small. That's Amazing an it is so Cute too <333333 Thank you for Sharing Granny Much Love.

~Toni~