The Shape of Our Universe

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Key2gb, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Lie groups are very interesting! Took me awhile to understand the gauge symmetries in the standard model are enforced via the U(1)xSU(2)xSU(3) Lie group.

Unfortunately I am no expert on Lie groups, know of any good books on their mathematics?

2. You sunk my battleship.... :(

3. Its only 248 dimentions...

4. the universe has no shape, i accept no theory or educated guess on the shape of the universe.

5. A bit ignorant/arrogant, no?

6. if i cant see it, its not there.

::im not listening lalalalalalala::

7. I have E8 as my desktop background.

My desktop is universe.

8. a shape incomprehensible due to the amount of dimensions involved

9. Bullshit. All that is needed is a conceptual algorithm. Some tribes in the Amazon region of South America can't count past two, no matter how hard you try to teach them to.

10. yeah you could explain it with maths, but then how would someone picture that in their mind? i mean the universe is always changing.. therefore my point still stands, its incomprehenisble to define the shape of the universe at any given moment.

personally i think a spherical style universe is probable given what we know at the moment and based on the assumption of a big bang and eventually a big implosion.

11. Why limit it by assuming it's just one of these possibilities? Anything is incomprehensible for those who doubt the possibility of it being done.

12. Haha. You actually think you can even begin to venture a guess on the shape of something as mysterious as the universe? Don't get me wrong, i'm all for guesswork, but don't spend too much time on this because we will never know.

13. The limitations are of the human mind; we are not at the state to know for sure the shape of the universe for sure.. we can guess for a while but only the top scientists who know their shit will understand it. ive yet to get my head around the 9 or more dimensions currently theorised.

14. why is it funny?

:rolleyes:

15. IMO. Comprehension of it isn't impossible.. but there is only so much that our species is meant to understand. Just like monkey's can't comprehend everything that us humans have going for us. We don't comprehend what our superiors accept as common knowledge. Evolution didn't cease with humans.

16. Because, we haven't even figured out what the universe contains yet, much yet the shape, if any, it takes. :smoking:

17. lol Well, like I said, if you doubt it is meant to be known, you can know this for sure: you will not know it. :)

18. the universe contains us

look at a picture of an electron cloud and a vast picture of space then compare them...it may help you see from my point of view

19. Lol. Well, I did not say that. I said that odds are it isn't within our realm of comprehension.