The Selfish Gene

Discussion in 'General' started by Ataraxis, Jan 17, 2008.

1. I recently got into reading Richard Dawkin's The Selfish Gene and holy shit it's the greatest book of all time.

Every page and idea reads like an astonishing realization about the world, and for people who haven't learned the concepts that's exactly what it is.

If you want to understand essentially what life is, then this book is the way to do it. The first couple chapters explain where life came from and what people really are, which is the coolest unexpected thing. You really don't have to read beyond the first 5 or so chapters, but the man is a genius and he leads it to moral implications and such that are very well formed.

Now I went to a top high school and I attend a leading university, so it's likely to astound and cause blow-out realizations for I hope a lot of people.

Anyone else dig the 'Survival Machines'

2. I'm a casual reader of Dawkins, but I have a feeling I will be reading more of his works. The God Delusion was my first (and only as of now) read and I've been meaning to look into some of his other stuff. I was kind of hesitant about The Selfish Gene but I'm glad to hear that it is amazing. I'll be checking that out soon. I recommend The God Delusion for people of all or no religions; it makes you think differently about things. :hello:

3. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check it out. I've been wondering about reading The God Delusion for a while, but not sure if it would be worth the time. Is it basically an argument for atheism? Because I'm open to the possibility of there being no God, I just don't think it's an absolute certainty like atheists believe.

4. Well, as Richard Dawkins is one of the highest regarded atheists, it does advocate atheism quite a bit. It will pretty much attempt to disprove the idea of a god and some of the harmful effects religion can have. Since you have that possibility you are a superb candidate to read it. I'm not sure how much an effect it will have on you, depends on your strength in your beliefs, but even if you won't change your beliefs, it gives good arguments and perspectives on a few things. Always good to know the other side.

5. Isnt he the dude that is in all the atheism debates and shit?

6. :hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

7. He's the big atheist dude, but he's an evolutionary biologist first.

The Selfish Gene makes no argument for atheism, he simply teaches what life really in simple biological terms. Now I think it is incredibly difficult to integrate that into any of the modern religions, but people advocate that it is possible. Either way the guy has such a complete knowledge of what life is and it is incredible to have it explained.

8. sounds like a pretty sweet book dude, you've inspired me to look into reading a new book besides "The Wretched of the Earth" and "Che" :hello: