The Secret

Discussion in 'General' started by pavlakos, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Yesterday in the cafe, me and some friends were discussing the government and then got into Christianity being made for control and all, you know, all the good juicy topics like that.
    As were talking, this dude who was sitting by himself at another table walks up to our table and suggests the book The Secret in a broken English accent.

I found out The Secret is based on a movie which was released in 2006, and is about the law of attraction. Its an extremely interesting and informative film from what I saw but I cant find the full thing anywhere.

Knowing this Secret of the law of attraction and applying it has made my life 100 times better than before, knowing that I am in full control of my life(i didnt just now find out about the law of attraction btw). Especially the metaphor with the genie, as ive always believed in genies for some reason and been fascinated by the concept. For the first time I felt like I am the genie, manifesting my wishes at my command. No reason to get a gienie anymore :p

If anyone has been depressed or feeling lost, confused and without purpose in life, I highly suggest watching this. Knowing you are in charge and responsible for every aspect of your life, is extremely empowering and just an awesome godly feeling.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_b1GKGWJbE8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_b1GKGWJbE8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I hope someone is helped by this, if not I hope you enjoyed the clip :)

2. What a bunch of total bullshit. I bet the people who came up with this scam are filthy rich.

3. So if only all those poor people in Africa would change their emotions and feel good, the universe would listen to their song and they'd all get out of poverty? Man this is some bullshit.

4. Rain Dance IMO

this stuff is bullshit BTW

5. really? what makes you so sure its bullshit? the law of attraction has helped me.

i guarantee you if everyone in africa implemented the law of attraction everything would be ight over there. instead of saying its bullshit, why not give it a shot?

6. Agreed...I never saw what was so compelling or amazing about this movie/book other than the fact that whoever created it is rich from basically telling people to be optimistic instead of pessimistic.....I personally thought it was really lame in the way it was presented - they tried to make it seem all cutting edge but in the end it was just an infomercial for something you already bought

7. My mom bought this movie like 2 years ago because it was on Opera, lol. Anyways, it's a pretty powerful movie, but it would require you to turn your whole life around to becoming 100% totally positive. For me, impossible. But, I mean, it got me trying to think like them and all the others for about a week or so, but it was too hard to do. I would recommend it's worth a watch though.

8. its actually much more than being optimistic, its more like manifesting thoughts into reality.

and let me ask you something, like does attract like, right? so if the people who made this film know this ARENT rich, then theres a problem. If they werent asking for money would you still think its a 'scam'? i never payed a cent in my life for anything like this, nobody else has to either. TRY IT. find out for yourself first, before bashing.

but you cant just try it. you have to feel it.

9. Yeah, it's kind of ironic actually. There's this huge hype surrounding it, all this buildup and a mysterious title like "The Secret". But really there is no secret at all. This "Law of Attraction" is nothing but common sense. I don't need a book and a movie to tell me the value in being optimistic, thinking good thoughts, and working towards my goals. I admit I haven't watched the whole movie or read the whole book, but I don't really feel a need to. I'm happy with my life.... things are going pretty well for me. And what about people who are killed or have their lives ruined by random acts of violence, natural disasters, and other factors beyond their control? How the hell is this "secret" supposed to help them?

10. I've been trying it, feeling it, and living it my whole life... way before this movie/book ever existed. I just don't understand what the big deal is. It's common sense overcomplicated to fool people into thinking they're learning something new.

11. really? sure people know its better to be optimistic and happy, but do they know that they can control the future by thought? and if its such common sense why is the world in the state its in?

12. I dl'd full version of the secret off of bit lord last winter, it's probably still there...

It's definately got a "self-help" feel to it, but it also has some interesting hypotheses regarding physics and the law of attraction. Yes, the people who made this made money, the show did not do well when aired in Australia... just check Wikipedia for the full story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(2006_film)

DVD sales probably went better, but there was a "falling out" with one lady who was originally behind all of this.

Also, what you guys might not be aware of is that there are two different versions of the Secret:

1. Before the falling out including that lady.
    2. After the falling out excluding her.

I wonder which version the YouTube post above is
    ?

13. Yes, I've known for quite some time now that to a certain extent, I can control the future by thought. It's not that hard of a concept to understand... you decide what you want in life, what your goals are, you keep these thoughts in mind, and live your life. If you stay on track, you'll most likely end up getting what you want. But it also requires a strong will and perseverance.

Why is the world in the state its in? I don't know if there's a single answer. Maybe because people are greedy, and human nature is ultimately flawed. Everyone has common sense, but lots of people ignore it by oppressing others. People are born into situations that are virtually impossible for them to turn around. Circumstances in third world countries like disease, poverty, famine, etc. Try telling them that they're in complete control of their own future.

14. ONe word: Exodus.

15. god this movie is stupid. just very dramatic way of explaining a simple and very old concept and creating impression that it is solution to all your problems.

find your own damn answers morons!

16. It focuses too much on the positive which I happen not to like....when you acknowledge all the negative in your life, it makes the positive, for lack of a better word, more positive. The Secret says only focus on positive and positive will happen to you, which can be true...but this still does not account for negative which is needed for positive...in the end you have many more people that basically become optimistic about all things life ignoring anything negative....you can't turn your back on negative, it's always going to be there and ignoring it is just repression which can be even worse....learn to deal with the negative instead of mentally bypassing it and you are a stronger person

17. I found this part funny:

"
    Spoofs and parodies on television

• In the March 17, 2007 episode of Saturday Night Live, cast members spoofed "The Secret" in a sketch with Oprah Winfrey (Maya Rudolph) interviewing Rhonda Byrne (Amy Poehler).<sup id="cite_ref-SNL_transcripts_39-0" class="reference">[40]</sup> Includes a scene of a man in Darfur being scolded for his lousy attitude.<sup id="cite_ref-washington_post_40-0" class="reference">[41]"</sup>

18. wow, what a joke of a video.

19. :hello: Couldn't have said it better myself. People assume that just because they have problems in their life, that they're somehow suffering or not happy. What they don't realize is that everyone has problems. Some are big and some are small in comparison, but no one is ever completely 100% satisfied with their life. As corny as it sounds, the only thing you can do is make the best out of what you have. Value not only the good, but also the bad, because it ultimately makes you a stronger and better person.

I also find it funny that "The Secret" defines success as being rich, owning your own business, or being in some kind of officially qualified high-ranking position. Not everyone's goals in life include material possessions and social status.. but then again I guess the people who would be watching this video in the first place probably do value those things.

Key2gb, maybe you and I should keep this dialog going, and record it all in a book. It's all basically common sense and wisdom that comes with life experience, but I bet if we twisted the words around, started fabricating hidden meanings, and got successful people to talk about it in a movie, we could make a fortune. Oh, and we'd probably have to put in some mystical sounding music and give it a profound, but ambiguous title to lure people in. What do you think? :D

20. Long read here, but I thought it was interesting. It's from an amazon review of The Secret:

source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3MSL8...&ASIN=1582701709&nodeID=283155#wasThisHelpful