The Secret Life of Plants

Discussion in 'Movies' started by tstick, Sep 18, 2013.

1. It's a movie about plants. It's great. The gist is that plants are conscious and some have come up with ingenious ways to get other living creatures to interact with them -sometimes to the mutual benefit of each. For example: Bees pollinate flowers and in return the plant gives them nectar that the bees use to make honey.

There are even some plants that have made themselves to actually look like the other creature that they need to pollinate them, so as to attract them.

Marijuana is a plant that has been in a dance with humanity for quite some time and has had ample time to study us and what we want and need..."What if?" So, taking that idea step further....What if the plant that we love so much, actually is able to make itself create the chemicals that keep us vitalized? After all, if we are healthy, then the plants will be healthy.

"What if?" the plants we smoke, eat, etc., are actually sending us chemicals that recognize many of the "bad" things (tumors, viruses, etc.) and cause a situation that antagonizes and/or kills them -thus leaving us healthy and able to cultivate plants? 

"What if?" those same plants are "telling" our brains (on a chemical level) HOW to improve the ways we grow them?

I know it sounds like "You're really high, man!".....but I'm just extending the possibilities that this movie, "The Secret Life of Plants", has suggested. 

Check out the movie! It's probably on YouTube....I'll check.

Please discuss!

:)

2. Here is an interesting interaction between plant and insect....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4n85-SqxQ

3. I was right! It's on YouTube!

Please, enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_X2Z9v8-6Q

4. I always thought about the smell of the plant as its way of communicating with us. Why would a plant that is so psychoactive coincidentally reek as much as it does? It's like, "hey, over here!"

5. Botany is rather interesting I agree with you.  People many times think of plants as a mix between alive and inanimate because they're typically stationary, but plants are in fact very much alive.  They just have much different mechanisms of providing for their needs than animals do, and in some ways more efficiently.

6. #7 tstick, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
    And actually, plants do move around. They are less mobile than we are of course, but they do creep. We have raspberries in our garden and they move fast (in plant terms!) Watching plants in time-lapse is very enlightening.

7. Interesting that you posted about this documentary. I've been wanting to watch this... looks like I'll have to.

8. I saw this documentary. It was striking. Highly recommand it.