The Scrog Method

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by greenmonster714, Oct 22, 2004.

1. this is very interesting. anyone here tried this?

I'm guessing you would just take your plant and route everything out to the sides thus letting the light travel down the middle...

2. #83 hobbiest, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
    Building a Cabinet.... I want to utilize scrog method, and have done hours of research. My cabinet is 8sqft in floor space. I have a 2.25ft(ht) area for veg/cloning and a 3.5ft(ht) chamber for flowering. Does the screen need to be in place for vegging? Can I veg to the desired height in the veg chamber and then transfer them to the flowering chamber where the screen is and just train the plant into the screen?

Any advice is appreciated!

3. #84 xshadowshooter, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
    Most of the training will be done during veg--in fact your veg period will be much longer while you fill the screen with the plant. If you have separate areas for flower and veg I would suggest that you mount the screen to the container so you can move the screen with the plant.. this should solve your dilemma.

The space you have is a bit small vertically. I figure your pot takes up 1 vertical foot, the lights take up .5 foot.. that gives you .75 feet to veg, or 8 inches. Well you are going to need about 3 inches above the screen for the plants to grow before you pull them back, so that means five inches to the growing medium from the screen. Also, depending on the type of light you are using you are going to need between 1 and 10 inches of space between the tops of the plants and the lights. You might have a bit of difficulty training due to the cramped space, thats the only problem I see.

Attached is a quick mspaint i drew up showing how you will probably need about 3 feet, 3 inches of space. But you may need less, i don't know your exact situation. The "neutral areas" is the recommended distance to keep your lights from the plants to prevent heat stress.

Maybe it would be more economical to your situation to switch the lights out, instead of switching the plants out?

Attached Files:

4. Much thanks for the quick reply!! And special thanks for the drawing... very compressive.

4ft*2ft*6'2" is actual inside measurements - can be seen here

The flowering lights will be 2 400w hps, or 2 250w hps. I was planning to use air cooled "tube reflectors" to encase the bulbs with a ~200cfm fan to exhaust. But another option was to put the lights in the 5in(ht) area above that were set aside for ballasts and cut holes in the shelf for a glass partition. I was just a little worried about the plants stretching because I would be unable to lower the HID at all.

The carbon filter will take up a good amount of space in the top of the flowering chamber it's roughly 20in long and 4in diamiter.

Anyways as to scrogging... I have decided that the easiest way is going to be to affix the screen to the pot/e&f/dwc container (still undecided on what to choose yet either, although I do know its going to be hydro). Sorry for going so off topic, as soon as the cabinet comes in I'll start a thread in grow rooms.

P.S. I've been silently watching your blueberry scrog for a while... looks fantastic!

5. hey does anyone know of any place to see how people train their branches. i've read the insturctions, but it's just not clicking in my brain of how to do it. i think seeing a video or picture explination would be best.

also i've been thinking of starting a grow that would be scrog in a rubbermade stealth grow-op. would it be best to use one or two plants in something like that?

6. #87 hobbiest, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
    I had much the same problem piecing it all together. I have not found any videos on scroging... although I have seen some before/after pics... cant remember there though. Basically if you read enough tutorials and guides on how to do it, read journals of scrogs you eventually get the idea.+

As for your container... Rubbermaid makes a huge variety of containers so it's different to each situation. There are many different routes you can take... some people grow 1 plant per sqft, other people use 1 plant for every 2.5sqft. Really depends on which medium/system you plan to use. If your thinking hydro there are some good descriptions of different methods here. Personally I am growing 1 plant per 2sqft, but I have a little more head room.

7. Hobbiest, if stealth is not a big issue for you you could remote several parts of your set-up (carbon filter, ballasts for examples).. Really the only problem I see is the lack of space.

Scrogging is a really simple concept. Let the plant grow up through and then pull it back. Rinse, repeat until the screen is full! I'll make an mspaint for you, icefox.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bear with me I'm a little drunk and baked.... My cabinet is about 2 weeks away, I'm probably going to use swc with a large Rubbermaid container as a res. The only problem I have is that I will have to fold down about 2-3 inches af the screen in the veg chamber to have room for clones and the mother. I think I will let the scrog get a little out of control so that when I move it to the flowering I can train the extra 3 inches of screen on each side with the excess branches.

As for the grow space, I really don't want unsightly carbon filters sticking out of the cabinet. I'm going to start a thread in grow design tomorrow with a complete description. I appreciate all of of your advice and input.

Overgrow the country!!!!:D

9. you really want to only veg until the screen is about 80% filled. remember, there will be a bit of a stretch in flower.

10. Too true. I was just describing the basic idea of it :)

11. how bout this for all the SCROGer's out there... what's your favorite kind of screen that you've seen the biggest yield off of? chicken wire? dowel rod? just a metal rack? i've seen all sorts of pics of different kinds of screens just wanna know the opinion of the experts!

12. In my opinion (which is far from expert as I've only done this once), at least an inch and a half is necessary for the holes. The reason is, although you want the branches packed tight, they will have big fan leaves coming off of them.. keeping a little bit of space between the branches will keep you from having to trim as many leaves and allow some light to get to the lower branches a bit.

I found some fencing that was perfect while I was driving around and snagged it that night..

13. imo, the perfect screen is kennel fencing. it has 2"x2" squares.

14. Very specific and informative. Thanks! I'm using bagseed, so I don't know the characteristics of my (soon to be) plants, but it sounds like it should work well either way!

15. So scrogging just basicly supports the plant? What about the people that move from veg to flowering? Can they scrog?

16. I did:hello: but its a bitch to weave it through just start off from the bat with a screen I agree 2" x 2" is the best

17. I was trying to make sense out of the 50 watts per square foot chart, but your example didnt match, or maybe Im just crazy. So could someone just please tell me how many watts of HPS I would need for a 2 plant ScrOG?

18. #99 ledman, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
    Vegging: Here is where alot of people make mistakes. They get in a fired up hurry and get confused somehow. Flip their shit over to 12/12 way to soon and wonder why their screen never filled up. At that point the screen is nothing more than a support system for the plant. Normally one would veg a plant till the screen is 70-80 percent full before switching over to the flowering cycle. Having knowlege of how much your strain stretches is helpful when determining when to switch to flowering. For example: If one had a very stretchy sativa. You would want to start flowering her with much less of the screen filled. Just the opposite for a nice stunted indica. Timing has alot to do with scrog. We go over that soon.

Pulling It Back Through: Okay, so you've got some growth through the screen. Should have about 3-4 inches aye? Don't be a pussy here. lol....... If it breaks. I'll explain what to do later. Reach under the screen and pull that branch back under the screen and place it where you want it to be. Even if it takes tying it in place with the plastic twisty ties. Now I could really get technical and shit and start with the be sure there is an internode in each hole of the screen but it really doesnt matter man. Just get the growth under the screen first. In the next few weeks. You will see were to guide the new growth to best suit your needs.

Training: This can seem brutal to some. lol........ Scrog is not natural growth for the cannabis plant. I am sure of that. It must stress the shit out of them the whole cycle of life. Imagine taking a plant that usually grows anywhere from 3-12 feet and making it grow in a space no larger than 2 foot. Training begings in the pulling it back through section. Try to situate your main branches towards the barest parts of your screen. They will branch out the most and usually be the largest bud in the bunch. Use some kind of uniformity to your laying out of the branches. Crisscross/ zigzag whatever you use. Remember theres are going to be alot more branching when flowering kicks in high gear. So allow some room for that as well. Lesser buds that are now exposed to more light are then encouraged to grow upwards toward the screen through some leaf triming. An often debated subject but one I feel that is usefull in the scrog method.

Hi Guys, i put some pics about my work and my "research" into ScrOg. Is not too much and i wrote in italian in the pics, but i think everyone can understand.Not bad pics, expecially my ScrOg box lamp ( extreme ScrOg!!) and some concerning how to develop under the net.

Anyway,if anybody wants some explanation about pics and my different tecnhiques, i'll be glad to answer if i'll be able .. hope it will be helpfull..cheers!

Attached Files:

19. I did a type of bassackwards scrog method.. I decided when my plants were half way through veg that i would scrog so i put a screen up and then bent the plants in a sort of way as they grew, the problem was the middle plant... where can i bend it if the other four are bend around the outside of the square so i just let it grow.. not its been two weeks into flower and they've stretched through the net BUT i've got a lot of flowers into the light so it worked pretty well.. Now the big center plant grew all the way to the light so i moved the light up and this happened twice so.. i dont know it doesnt care if its 87 degrees touching the bottom screen on my reflector.. whats the deal? The pistols are still growing fine so close to the light.. Should i just move the light continuesly until i cant anymore? It wants to like touch the light!!

400w hps
    i do have air coming via fan, and air going out via duct connected to the light with an inline fan at the other end

Attached Files: