The Scrog Method

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by greenmonster714, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Should the plants be topped at all during the scrog process, or will all the nodes form through the screen on their own without topping?

2. hi there we not talked b4 but i do have a question that you can answer for me 27 plants under a 3m by 1m sceen bubbleberry strain is that too many for the screen they are under 1 400 1 600 hps

3. really no need to top in a scrog.

4. 27 plants???? i'd say you have wayyyyyyyy too many plants. go back and re-read gm's screen size suggestions for different wattage lights.

5. How useful is it to top your plant when using this method? Will the extra side branching help the process or should i just save my precious main cola and train it along with the rest? I have read posts on other forums with people saying to top the plant when it gets to the screen,( assuming it already has enough side branches) and then let the side branches grow up the the screen and begin the training.

One other question, indica growth patterns don't seem to lend well to the technique. While im sure you can do it with any plant, i would imagine using a hybrid or a sativa that naturally creates many branches would create less stress than a cola dominant variety. Is there anyone with experience that knows which type works better?

6. Nevermind my question, I posted and then saw the answer to it already posted. Sorry!

7. Do you think a screen that has 1"x 1" holes will be ok?
    I would be letting it stretch above the screen when flowing so the buds would form above the screen.

8. Dont quote me on this but I do think 1" screen is too small you will need to get to all of each plant when you go 12/12 . Im using 4" net which allows my hands through to tend the plants

9. Damn! 4" is too big for my small space, lol.
    But thinks for the advice, think i'm gonna modify it so its 1"x 2" holes atleast.

10. make it 2 inch but 1 inch is too small it will choke the flowers

11. 2" is perfect! if you can find kennel fencing for dogs, you'll have the perfect screen. perfect 2"x2" squares.

12. #72 xshadowshooter, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2009
    From what I hear, it's best to top the plants once just before they reach the screen to promote branching (or rather, more branching). Don't quote me though! (unless I'm right, and you're quoting to say, "hey, this guy is right on, this worked for me") They will branch on their own like crazy as soon as you begin training them horizontally, however.

13. Obviously less humidity increases yield by keeping the fan leaves smaller and allowing more light to penetrate the kola. If one were to be using a small grow box and did not have space for a dehumidifier, you could always buy some buckets of damprid and some refill cartons from the local store in the plumbing section. It's a decassant (sp?) that pulls moisture from the air. That should decrease moisture content... however it will pull moisture from the soil too.... in which case it may be better to further away from the soil. I'm curious how much it would drop the humidity (anyone wanna try it that has a humidity guage?).

14. #74 Hockedude5, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    I've been growing these first generation Chocolope clones. 4 Veg (1 week under 2, double tube 4 foot florescent setups; 3 weeks under a 400w MH @ 10 inches off the top of the canopy) and 7 weeks Flowering under a 430 HPS @ 10 inches. Both bulbs run in a switchable ballast with a top of the line hammered finished, fully enclosed hood that is vented using a blower fan and tubing.

Temp stays at 77F humidity ranges from 47-54 % depending on watering cycles. The area is a 3x5 closet. Grown under a screen made of 2 in. fencing and having dimensions of 3'x3'3".

I'm supposed to have about 3 weeks left of flowering and am trying to see if people have any input on what they think these 2 will yield. If you have any comparable grows with pics and ages that would be sweet. Its my first real grow and just don't have the experienced eye.

Any tips or criticism would be appreciated.

Click the pic to see more up close..
    [​IMG]

15. nice pics Bryan:p looks good......

16. i like chicken wire, but the note on te 4x4 to tend to the plants is pretty cool. i sometimes have an issue tending cause of the room size and one sided access.

17. nice guide, I'll have to try this in the future!

18. GARRR!
    [​IMG]

Check out my thread for more :D

19. Holy shit xshadowshooter, that's awesome!

20. wow those are some nice looking plants :)) i'm doing a soil grow with 3 grandaddy purple and 3 bubblegums under a 600w HPS lamp in a growtent right now. how many plants did you grow in that 2x2 space?