The sad truth is, life has no meaning.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Clairvoyant, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Some one tell me I'm wrong? Becuase the way I see it, nothing happens after you die. You just die, and your mind goes away. There is no after life, nothingn else. There is nothing special after this world, this life. Just think about it, it gives me very wierd feelings everytime I do.

Btw, don't give me that religion bullshit. I refuse to believe in a big man in the sky who sends you to eternal damnation if you don't obey his will.

2. and since it has no objective meaning,

life's meaning automatically becomes (cliche alert) what you make it.

thats not so sad is it?

3. well no it doesnt, but u should try to make everyday as if its your last, have fun

4. Whats it matter? It's not like any of this is going to matter, you wont even remember any of this. Your basically pro-longing the inevitable, "you" being cast out of existince for the rest of forever.

I just realized how cruel death is....

5. well nothing matters, but while ur alive u should try to make the best of things.

6. well actually, heres what i believe

there is a chemical called DMT which is released by the brain every night when we reach deep sleep, it is produced in almost all eco systems - plants and animals

DMT is released when people experience near death experiences.

DMT can be smoked or ingested to make you trip out

now, when you die DMT floods the brain

need i say more?

Peace

Edit: also DMT is SCHEDUAL 1 in america and illegal in most countrys... wtf its produced by our own brain
    so technically we are all illegal... dumb fucks

7. you may be right that it has no "meaning" but why is that sad?

..you're now free to pursue whatever you want to pursue without being shackled to any particular activities or goals that a special meaning might require.

Have kids and you'll make your dna "happy", then just enjoy life doing the things you find interesting.
    That's about as meaningful as it gets.

8. theres too much depth to science and life in general that I have a hard time believing its all random. eather way life is what you make it. you really think weed is an accident?

9. Life is how you make it. If you believe life has no meaning then you should just kill yourself. But when you try to kill yourself you will 99.9% of the time back out. Why? Because you realize that even though you might think it has no meaning, its beautiful. A painting might have no meaning, but it dosnt mean you cant stare at it for a while and enjoy it. Just like life. Even if it has no meaning, just chill and enjoy its beauties man.

10. Life would suck if it had meaning. If life had a meaning we'd be powerless pawns in a bullshit game played by an egotistical prick in the sky. Luckily, life has no meaning, so you're free to do what you want. Do what you want with you life, study, learn, hack your body (intelligently use drugs) and enjoy people (and forget about the rest). You're already scheduled to die at some point, so just chill and enjoy life until that time comes :p

11. what i was tryin to say +rep

12. Life has a lot of meaning to those who possess it...

Its the after-life that means nothing to me...

13. Well, free is a perception. You're free within the boundaries of invisible laws.

physical/natural
    societal/legal
    moral/spiritual

Now, you push against and even cross these boundaries but eventually you'll meet failure.

But there IS good news for the non-believer. Your life DOES have Darwinian-evolutionary meaning. Your purpose is to leave a gene pool behind so that your descendents will evolve bigger brains and warp through wormholes and whatnot to deposit their genes and complain about life in other galaxies. So, don't think you're not doing something to help make intergalactic indifference in God a reality. Look at T-Rex...don't you think he'd be proud of how much we love KFC??

14. You know your mind is just a bunch of chemicals running within a machine so you have some essence which I believe is in itself something entirely unworldly.

15. Correct. There is no meaning in life. But we create meaning while we live.

16. Life's meaning is just to appreciate life.
    That's why we are so damn free, but at the same time tightly strapped in by the government.

17. The meaning of life is to create it and/or strive to achieve ultimate happiness.

Atleast thats what ive come to understand. You never hear someone say "Im gonna hate this job, I should apply." And by attempting to achieve happiness you create life through the way you interact wiith every single organism around you.

18. Damn, I thought the troll had gone.

You are bound to physical/natural laws, but only so much as we don't understand them. When we understand them, we can intelligently act on the laws to do things we would be unable to do without the knowledge.

You're only bound to societal/legal laws to a certain extent. You can still break them, and if you're clever enough you can get away with it.

Not sure wtf those moral/spiritual laws are or where they got authority ... because they certainly have no authority over me. I make my own "morality", and it's based on the Golden Rule. Basically it entails living a courteous life.

19. Yes, life is very damn pointless. Everywhere I look I'm always asking, "why?" about a lot of things. I only strive for LSD use and punk rock!!:p

The way I see it... Death is the ultimate prize. I look forward to the day I die because I'll be set free from reality, time, and space.

When you sleep you have dreams. Death is just a slumber you will never awaken from anymore in my perspective (awaken as in the sense of waking in this world we know now right now). I'll be in a place where I can make my own reality and never worry about coming back!!:hello: