The Ruins

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dizzy, Feb 20, 2019.

1. #1 Dizzy, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Was up late last night when the fam was asleep. Seen this on and and watched it. Movie is creepy af lbvs. Who else has seen this and maybe agrees with me? Like wtf kind of demonic plants are those lbvs. Its wild!:eek2:

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Was that where the tourists get caught on top of the temple by the plants
    Was good Yes

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lol yep the damn Natives would not let them leave either! Messed up!

~Toni~

4. The female corpse discovered inside the temple by Amy and Stacy is intended to be the same character seen screaming for help at the very beginning of the film, but the living character and the corpse were played by different actresses.

Though the film takes place in Mexico during the summer, it was shot primarily in Australia during the winter. Heavy coats were provided for the actors in between takes, and water and olive oil had to be sprayed onto their bodies to simulate sweat.

In the novel, there are no "ruins" to speak of, just a hill overgrown with the vines and the shaft cut into it. Director Carter Smith suggested changing it to an ancient Mayan temple, an idea with which writer Scott B. Smith agreed.

Ben Stiller was involved with this film for the reason that he is a friend of novelist/screenwriter Scott B. Smith.

Pumpkin vines inspired the look of the carnivorous vines in the film.

The graphic amputation scene was the first to be presented to studio executives for approval.

Director Carter Smith had just purchased a copy of the Scott B. Smith novel and started reading it when he got the phone call offering him the film adaptation.

All the outdoor scenes were shot with natural light.

The film rights were purchased before the novel was published.

The Greek characters, while present in the novel, were not originally included in the screenplay. Director Carter Smith convinced screenwriter Scott B. Smith to add them back into the story.

The Mayan temple was made up of three separate sets. The first was the facade overgrown with vines for the characters to walk up. The second was the top of the temple, where the majority of the film takes place. The third set was used for the underground shaft and tunnel scenes. Shots that show the entire temple from a distance were a blend of the sets and CGI.

The character played by Shawn Ashmore wears a T-shirt with a symbol that resembles a bull's-eye. Director Carter Smith remarks on the DVD commentary that this was deliberate.

The opening scene featuring the characters talking by the swimming pool was the first scene to be shot. [ /spoiler]

Jee Dizzi .......it got rotten reviews

5. #5 Dizzy, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

No offense vostok because i respect you alot but I make my own opinions about the movies I watch! IDC about critics lol.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thats OK Dizzi I was wanting to exercise my new found Spoiler

I thought it may come useful ...lol

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. SPOILER ALERT

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. So @vostok what do you think of this movie? @PuffPete the question is for you too.

~Toni~

9. I asked a 'horror' friend if he has it ..if he has ...he will drop it off

I hate horror but for my GC movie mates I will give it a try

the last I watched was 'the hills have eyes' after reading ' Sawney Bean.'

shudder!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. I need to see this.

As

• Winner Winner x 1

11. The older one or the 2006 version?

~Toni~

12. I enjoyed it, I have seen almost all the horror flixs and have come to see them as all merging together
    I really like when a new one comes out and has not been done before
    The Ruins was one like that. I don't like movies that have been done over and over and over if you understand what I mean.
    We need some fresh new talent to write some new Horror and Sci Fy flixs to scare us to death
    I have always loved a good scare since I was about 6yrs old.

• Winner Winner x 1

13. Yea i get you mon. Its like sometimes there are scary movies where you know whats going to happen before it even does. That gets on my nerves tbh lol.

~Toni~

14. The Grudge , was like that how many times can they re do it

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yea the first Grudge was cool imo but the other ones kind of fell off. Also the Friday the 13th and Nightmare On Elm Street movies...too many of them lol.

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. [​IMG]
    Craven based the film's script on the legend of cannibal Sawney Bean,

which Craven viewed as illustrating how supposedly civilized people could become savage

The Hills Have Eyes (1977 film) - Wikipedia

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. And all those Shark movies are just for when we are really stoned

• Funny Funny x 1

18. Lol do Puffer Fish worry about sharks :p

~Toni~

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Never
    But if a big one does ever swollow me
    I will make it very bad for him in the end :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Creative Creative x 1

20. Haha I bet :laughing::laughing: that is toooo funny!

So oan do you like action movies at all?

~Toni~