The Routine

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Jakigi, Feb 29, 2008.

1. We need to break the routine. The routine kills us. We all subconsciously enter routines, society is designed around them and we can't escape. It is the routine that dulls our thought. At least, my own. I'm going to break it, routines make life go by way too fast.

2. I just pictured a society built on innovation. There was no schooling, occupations, just a unified society dedicated to solving the mysteries the world and their minds had to offer. People sharing thoughts, with the unified goal of improving society. If only...

3. Part of the mystery is figuring out why other people don't want to solve it.

4. Falling into a routine that deadens your mind and numbs your creativity is bad, for sure, but don't you think sometimes routine can be a good thing, or at the very least a stabilizing thing? Routines help us to get through our day, perhaps to more easily get through the things we don't enjoy to get to the things we do enjoy...

5. The Majority of people deny the mystery by convincing themselves they've got life figured out.

I don't see how a routine is helpful. Its helpful now because the routine fits into the mold of society. But if nothing was telling you to go to work everyday and society built up people that strive to better the world or our understanding of life, wouldn't you be trying to better humanity instead of grinding so you can survive.

Do you see the difference in mentality? Humanity has the potential. We just really suck right now.

6. I remember explaining this to a friend of mind who was caught in a rut. A few months later he used it as a jab, when I was doing something routinely. haha

Sometimes things just work best if you find a method and do it the same way every time.

Routines are very primal, if you are a believer of the '3-brain' theory, we all have 3 brains, the neocortex (responsible for creativity, language and similar pursuits - most newly evolved) the limbic system (responsible for emotion, memory and other mammalian attributes) and the R-Complex, which is responsible for xenophobia (fear of the unknown/change), as well as your perception of time. The R-Complex thinks in linear patterns and is very routine oriented; it is called the Reptilian Complex, because it sits on top of your spinal cord and is equivalent to the brain found in most reptiles.

Even if the '3-brain theory' (look it up for a better explanation) isn't 100% correct, it does nail down the three major systems in your brain, and lets you know that if you want to be creative you have to forget about time; and start doing things out of routine.