The role of enlightenment in life?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by SheenTheSage, Jan 7, 2012.

1. A true teacher has nothing to teach, other than what one already knows.
    The enlightenment one seeks, be they buddhist, christian, islam, jewish..
    its all here
    its always been
    we are in heaven!Nirvana!

one self makes them think otherwise.

This is heaven :)

2. See that is MUCH easier to understand, and I would agree almost entirely.

I don't believe that this is nirvana. I believe nirvana, or as we call it in Judaism "Olam Ha-Ba, the World to Come" is attained after breaking free from the cycles of death and rebirth.

3. If this is what enlightenment is, then fuck it. I'd rather feel the suffering that comes with desire than not desire at all.

edit: I might have interpreted this the wrong way, I don't know. I took this post to mean that we shouldn't desire because it brings suffering.

What is it about not being enlightened that causes me to do things because I "have" to, and what is it about being enlightened that makes me do things because it brings me joy?

4. There is a modern day error that enlightenment is equivalent to liberation, such that liberation is derived from a source of consciousness, or wisdom or love, when in fact it is the mere idea of liberation that keeps us perpetuating a misguided life, all secrets have been hidden by resources, the deepest secret is that of security and safety, and it is because of this cyclic aspect of creation that we as a human species reach "golden ages" and "lows" when in fact it is just a harmony with our natural surroundings, but it is a human error that is made in the process of reaching enlightenment on a global scale that says we must worry about being safe when others must worry about their next meal...so what becomes more important the safety of the now, or the security of the future...that is why it is so hard to understand the law of attractions and the realization of enlightenment because one is always attracting a different idea of what is truely important in their lives, many who claim to see the law of attractions or to become enlightened miss the entire point of both, to raise a consciousness and become more harmonious with not only our fellow man but also our human planet, this is where we derive true intelligence from and a true awareness of what enlightenment really means in our society today, this moment and every preceding moment.

5. #25 TesseLated, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    as likened to this cup of tea....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq7Hw5q4IvU]MAX SEDGLEY - "Happy" - YouTube[/ame]

:smoke:

funtowatchfunky

about 'enlightenment' <sigh>

Attention leads to immortality. Carelessness leads to death. Those who pay attention will not die, while the careless are as good as dead already.

Foolish, ignorant people indulge in careless lives, whereas a clever man guards his attention as his most precious possession.
    -Buddha

6. enlightenment is just... knowing that the glass is broken and every minute with it is precious, while as beforre you would admire the glass while it is not broken.. but when it breaks you become :(

7. [quote name='"nathann"']

They just tell me that I don't understand Buddhism. When I ask if they've ever read, say, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, or even any of the books written by the Dalai Lama or any of the Rinponches, they just look at me with a "mer?" look on their faces.

I just invisibly facepalm and change the conversation :laughing:

In fact, my best friend, a Hasid I grew up with, was "converted" to Buddhism through a book call "Dharma Punx," which is nothing but new age Buddhism, the same tripe I alluded to in my last post. He has never read any other Buddhist text, yet he considers himself a Buddhist. It's just baffling to me how anybody can swear allegiance to a spiritual system and not actually practice it, or have no knowledge of it.[/quote]

oh lol not even Buddhists then..they're....idk what word. not trying to be offensive but it seems bullshit that they tell people they're Buddhist when they don't know what it is.

I'm not a Buddhist, but I'm trying to learn enough about it to become a Buddhist. like.. a real one, for clarification :p . and then study. Buddhist scriptures. and go to a temple. to practice buddhism. and expand and grow. real Buddhism. with.. the buddha and such.

mer.

8. Everyone has the potential to be buddha, you dont need to go anywhere.
    Everyone IS the buddha.

9. Doing something with the feeling of 'have to', implies doing something without understanding that you have a choice how you do it. Whenever you do something, you have the opportunity to raise or lower your energy by how you approach it. Doing something that you choose to do, without fully accepting that you are, lowers your vibration.

Doing things because they excite you and bring you joy, reflects who you really are. In this state, you get to vibrate at a frequency where nothing you choose to do won't excite you. Everything is being experienced as a reflection of who you are. By approaching things this way, you raise your frequency of vibration, moving you closer to living in that state called enlightenment.

10. #30 MelT, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    I'm a Tibetan Buddhist, but I study both Buddhism and Hinduism (and Jainism, etc.,) and transcendental states. There is no difference between Buddhist and Hindu enlightenment. Buddhism arose out of Hinduism and the same drive for the same goal, there was a change in approach, not the aim. This goal is the same in all eastern traditions, including the Tao, which contains a good deal of Buddhism, particularly Mahamudra.

The word 'god' in the Gita is a provisional, english translation of a non-theistic principle, as Hinduism was originally not theistic. It was only modern times with writers such as Blavatsky and William James who tried to show that the eastern idea of 'potential' was the same as the christian god.

In a similar way, we in the west tend to mistranslate the Buddhist idea that 'all is Dukkha' into 'all is suffering'. 'Dukkha', means 'unsatisfactory', not suffering. Reality is regarded as unsatisfactory because we're constantly unhappy with what we have and are either bound by continually wanting material wealth or fearing its loss

Enlightenment makes our reality easier because it literally removes desires, so the unsatisfactory nature of existence is lessened. I don't mean that you come out of Kensho and decide not to desire things, it simply leaves. It's a direct experience as the whole of this reality and beyond, giving the subject a permanent 'outside' POV of reality, so all is seen holisitically instead of via the individual, which leads to greater sense of place and caring for others. It also comes intrinsically bound to 'qualities' that appear during/after the experience, such as overwhelming compassion.

MelT

11. [quote name='"TheAtmansPath"']Enlightenment gets you liberation from suffering[/quote]

I love this definition. Simple, yet still has depth.