The Road

Discussion in 'Movies' started by PunkSamurai, Jun 11, 2010.

1. So today I was over at my friends house and we all sat around and watched this post apocalyptic movie called "The Road". Literally blew my mind man :smoke: Shit was cray not really wantin to ruin any of it so have any of you seen it? I guess it was based of a book I bet thats pretty good too.

2. Pretty sure OPRAH was trying to promote that book a year or two ago, which is kinda why I was skeptical to see the movie. Anyway I finally watched it a few nights ago and it was pretty damn good. Definitely worth watching while high:smoke:

3. One of the most depressing books I've ever read.

4. Not a bad movie at all. Some parts didn't make sense. Wearing plastic bags on your feet is not helping you in anyway. Also the dude that stole all their food. He wasn't a young man, if he were to survive up to this point, he probably killed people. If I found a score of food, where there was no food, the only way I would give it back is if I was killed for it. I wouldn't let someone strip me naked and take it back.

I am sure there will be more movies like this. Looking forward to them.

5. I love to watch these sort of apocalyptic movies while blasted or not. Movies like Children of Men, I Am legend, Blindness, and others like The Road always suck me in because the intensity level is always there.

Its so visually compelling, grim but perfect setting wise. Viggo Mortensen is great as are all the performances in this. I haven't read the book but I'm not sure if I will. The movie was powerful enough.

6. The movie is very faithful to the book. Both are very powerful, both are very good.

I'm carrying the fire, too . . . And I'm going to use it to light my bowl!

7. "The images are searing, but there's little for Hillcoat to bat around besides endless agony. The Road is glacial and precise, but rarely offers the viewer something to chew on besides utter finality."

8. I disagree with that. I mean, it certainly isn't a happy movie. It presents a very realistic view of a post-apocalyptic world, as opposed to The Book of Eli and some of these other movies. There's no food, everyone's slowly starving to death, people are turning towards cannibalism. But I don't think the movie is as bleak as people make it out to be. It still contains a very positive note. The movie is about the powerful love and connection between a father and son. Even in a dying world where all humanity is seemingly lost, the father and son are still determined to be "the good guys," to "carry the fire," as they often say in the movie. Even if the world contains no more humanity, they carry it within themselves.

At least, that's what I took from the movie.