The Rise of the Sith

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by StoryofScars, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Looking good! Will check back for more pics...

Question for you guys in here since it's on topic... is there anything comparable to CoM compost that I can find out here on the West Coast in California? I'm currently compostless and refuse to use the generic crap sold around here.

I lived in Malibu for 2 years and did not know about this.. still just a quick drive down Pacific Coast Highway for me though! Thank you again... you've helped me out a shit ton this past month or so. That's by far the most local compost I have access to.

3. IMAG0054.jpg My skelly #1.
    IMAG0055_BURST001.jpg another shot of the dark green leaves and brown splotches.
    IMAG0056_BURST001.jpg c99 showing yellowing from the bottom up and weak stems. Another sign of too much N.
    IMAG0057_BURST002.jpg another skelly
    IMAG0058.jpg the runt actually fairing better than the others. It had a bit of a transplant accident a few weeks back and I worried about it til now.
    IMAG0059.jpg IMAG0060.jpg one of the harder hit plants

BUT now that I have a day off I'm going shopping for some new soil and see if they don't improve.

4. I was about to recommend Jerry's thread as well until I read farther down. Welcome Blackwolf. Glad to have you aboard. Hopefully I can keep this interesting for everybody.

Thank you for the welcome! Excited to see how this goes  :wave:  I can see you're a perfectionist by your comments on the health of each plant haha.. they all look excellent!!

6. yeah, I have my moments. And thanks for the compliments. I do wish they were fairing better though. My new mix was way too hot for them, IMHO. Hopefully I can solve that with a transplant while I let my soil cycle some more.

7. Yeah those plants are getting a bit big for solos, probably getting root-bound..... they want new homes!  But they definitely look very good

8. yeah...I know. I'm waiting on my girlfriend's mom to visit before I set up my 4x4. She's wicked nosey.

9. So, my local farm and garden store made me quite happy today. I snagged a cu ft bag of CoM lobster compost for $9, 1 cu ft noble organic ewc for $16.99 and 6 1 gal pots for $6. Tomorrow means transplant day.

10. Damn!  Good deals! Especially the CoM

11. IMAG0062.jpg looking droopy after their transplant

12. #33 StoryofScars, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
    So the plants were showing some pretty serious purple streaks and red petioles as well as yellowing and the same splotches. Realizing I failed to add a fertilizer and they were probably hungry, I gave them some Dr. Earths bloom booster dry ferts. I know they're in veg but I figured the high P & K would do them some good. I want to give them a couple weeks to catch up and enjoy the new setup in the 4x4. It beats the Hell out of the closet they were in. Pictures tomorrow. Sorry about the lack of updates, but I've been a little down lately and needed a kick in the ass.

13. FOT1D6A.jpg FOTAB76.jpg FOTBD32.jpg the runt. She seems to be the only one growing more out than up.
    FOT4E28.jpg FOTC5F9.jpg FOT4377.jpg FOT354B.jpg see the yellowing of the tips on this one?
    FOTB944.jpg
    And now some pictures of their signs of deficiency:
    FOT55FB.jpg FOT6756.jpg
    FOTD832.jpg some leaf tips dying

14. Those girls looks very healthy man!  I don't see any signs of deficiency..... if anything, the yellowed tips make me think you overfed them a tiny bit.... maybe an alfalfa tea recently?

Are you going to clear out some of that undergrowth, or just let 'em grow naturally?

15. #36 StoryofScars, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
    The yellowing I was referring to is a little different from nutrient burn. It goes about two thirds of the way in. It's also not so much yellowing as it is they're noticeably lighter. I do plan to clear out some of the undergrowth and super crop to spread them out. I've really been behind on my duties in the room. You'll see an improvement though. Oh, and back to the overfeeding, (sorry to jump around. I'm kinda toasty) I doubt they could be unless the CoM compost is hot. All their mix was up until 2 days ago was peat, CoM lobster compost, perlite and ewc. All the symptoms have been ongoing. The dry fertilizer was only added two days ago. The newer stuff coming in is looking a lot better but I did pull off some very badly wilted lower leaves on almost all of the plants.

16. Well I'm officially down to 3 females out of the 5 pack of skellys. So, it's 3 skelly s and a c99. They're overdue for a transplant, as well. I'm thinking maybe Sunday after my sister's graduation or Monday. They're going I.to my old soil mix now that they're more established. I'll be starting a new mix very shortly basing off of Sooohaggards mix which I'll post a link to later.

17. The new mix will be this one ( https://mycotopia.net/topic/85734-organic-water-only-soil-mix/ )minus a few things. I'll be going 1 less cup cu/ft of plant tone, leaving out the azomite and just adding granite dust, also leaving out the seed meals and adding neem meal a 1/2-1 cup cu/ft, and leaving out the greensand (as it takes quite a long time to break down ) all per suggestion of Jerry111165. He's been a massive help throughout my growing adventure. Anyone not following him should do so. He's a wealth of knowledge.

18. Great adjustments to the mix!  Sounds good!

19. Yeah, Jerry has been a huge help. He saved me a good $50 in materials, easily.