The richest one per cent of Americans earn nearly a quarter of the country's income

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BuddhistStoner, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I know the flavor of that kool-aide. It confuses people easily. So the taxes being the lowest ever must be Obama to then?

2. What has been cut!?

Are u serious???

Dude check out how many gov. layoffs there have been since 2008. Look at the budget cuts EVERWHERE (except military). Im talkin ALL the way up to the federal level.

U will see that earlier in this thread I posted that I sell tools to places like Natl Park SVC, US Forrest svc, BLM, etc... All of these places are federal. They have taken HUGE cuts. I know because I deal with them every day.

Its not JUST the federal gov though. ALL state and local gov. agencies have taken huge cuts too. Things like your road depts, water depts, electric depts, etc...all of these are government run. They have taken HUGE cuts in their budgets.

U can go look up the facts. The gov. has been cutting budgets on these programs since Obama has been in office.

I was making A LOT of money under the Bush presidency. :D

I am struggling to survive now...

How is that happening with a Democrat as the president????

Im no expert...I honestly want to know....

3. I think everyone has missed a Vital point in this conversation. Everyone on both sides are trying to defend their positions, and rightfully so. This is America after all!! That's why so many people have fought and died. TO PROTECT THE FREEDOM OF AMERICA! How about we cut out 3/4 of the foriegn aid to other countries and worry about saving our own!!!!! That should cut lots and lots from our "debt".

4. AND – everyone who is talking about “foreign aid” is only talking about “non-military foreign aid”….”MILITARY foreign aid” costs not 40B per year but more like 700B per year – and that is just what is “tracked” – a LOT more of of it is “discretionary” spending – which is tracked by no one….we are bleeding people!

5. The cuts are being done in the name of reducing the size of government? Or the cuts are being done because there's simply no more money left to spend?

Are you suggesting that, if we didn't have such a budget shortfall, these programs would still be cut? I really, REALLY doubt it.

6. Honestly I have no idea why the cuts are happening. Its just odd to me that these same gov agencies where booming under the Bush administration and now they are struggling under Obama.

How can republicans bitch about this president?? He has done more for them than anyone else.

7. Do you know why insurance premiums are so high? Their is no cross state competition...they're basically government granted monopolies. And now you want to use taxes so the government can give them even more money? This is the type of bullshit we deal with because our POLITICIANS are greedy, snakey people. You can expect the companies to want to maximize profits, the government shouldn't be giving them tax dollars.

I want the government involved in as little as possible, period. Let people and companies fail, you learn more from failure then anything else. Failing doesn't mean stop but our government promotes stopping.

8. Flat Tax != Fair Tax. But, Flat Tax = fair, or at least FAR more fair than the tax system we have now

9. #189 goshox78, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
    LOL get off the anti-Fox kool-aid man. Please tell us what network you get your news from? Cause I guarantee they are pumpin out as much (if not more) kool-aid than Fox is. And no, I'm not a fan of Fox, ALL the MSM is full of crap, although I could probably argue that Fox has a little less than the others, but its not an argument I care to spend any time on. I just think its hilarious how liberals throw out Fox kool-aid in the middle of an argument assuming that because someone is from the right that they must be getting all their info from Fox.

10. Um... entertainers do count, the ARE like everyone else. They have a talent, they realized people will pay for that talent. Isn't that what everyone does? Finds their talent they can make money with and persues it?

I do however agree that the rich should pay the same % as everyone else. Everyone should pay the same percentage of taxes. Unfortunately the problem with this thread is its not about rich paying the same %, its about how evil all the "rich" are and they don't deserve to be rich/wealthy lol

11. IRS: 235,413 million-dollar earners - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

"And, the data show, the 235,413 taxpayers who reported earning seven digits or more in 2009 took in a total of $726.9 billion — yet 1,470 paid not a penny of income taxes."

For the sake of argument, let's say the government took ALL of their income, not just the % of taxes that would normally be taken out. So now you have ~$730B....how much was that deficit, again..? I'm preeeety sure it's a metric assload more than $730B, yes?

I agree with those saying they should pay the same % as everybody else, IMO that's the only fair way to say that everybody is "paying their fair share." The tax code should be far, FAR more simple than it is, there shouldn't be an entire industry of people just to determine who should be paying what (or rather, how to pay as little as possible). However, I adamantly disagree with this class warfare bullshit, because as my point above demonstrates even if we were to just outright confiscate the $ of the rich it still isn't anywhere close to enough, and it doesn't fix ANY problems.