The "Revs" Soil Mix

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by aptoker313, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Wee Roid, I have never posted or voiced assumptions or judgements on your character and I am thanking you to not do so again.

Btw, i did not make an assumption that the cartoon is alternative lifestyle oriented, I just thought it was humorous and not in a snarky or rancorous way.

Also, the neighborhood in which I reside is a harmonious mix of homo and hetero. About 70 to 30 in the favor of the gays. We all get along !

2. Any beating up on another group shows moral and mental weakness brought on by a diminished sense of self worth. Keeping the attacts up, brings yourself further down. Your choice.....MIW

3. It completely exists. This whole section is dedicated to just that. We make soil, hit it with the occasional aerated compost tea for innoculation, and a little fermented plant extract for a fertilizing tea. Instead of following the Rev and buying whatever he lists on his little amended FoxFarm recipe, take the time to learn the reasons why and build your own on the cheap.

Once you score some peat and some quality EWC, you will be well on your way. I'm not figuring out anymore ratios for anyone unless they have already bought their stuff (ZeroShadow:)).

4. MIW I am usually able to comprehend your posts but im confused? Am I bringing myself further down with attacks on my group? another group? maybe a group of imaginary friends possum38north's art characterizes? making it less imaginary? or perhaps more imaginary? OK I think I get it. Next time a possum comes sniffing around in my garbage, I won't give it a bowl of milk and invite it to birth its younglings in there. Am I on the right track? :smoke:

5. I currently have Mexican High N Bat guano Epsoma Garden Lime (pelletized), Green Sand, Kelp Meal... Dr. Earth Alfalfa Meal and Soft Rock Phosphate... I also have Azomite and Perlite... I know these things are good but I geuss have no idea on the ratios... Any suggestions or advice would be highly appreciated.

I now have gotten some EWC and Peat Moss... If anyone could give me a recipe for these ingredients I really would appreciate it.

6. Do I need Bone MEal? and I was also thinking about maybe some Crab Meal

7. #27 MI Wolverine, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

OK, for starters lets get your mx at 25% areation (perlite) then 20% ewc.

Next up nutrients. For every cubic foot of soil or roughly 7(?) gallons of soil you want 2-3 cups of nutrients. You did not post totals so it will be up to you to figure ratios. I would mix the kelp and alfalfa and or use one cup of each, and keep the guano as a top dress.

Lime will depend on your mix, if you use something like pro mix you won't need lime, if you use a straight peat moss you will. For the rest of your minerals, I would only use greensand if you plan on recycling your soil. It takes 6 months or longer to break down so using it on one cycle won't help very much. Azomite at a cup per cf ( that's just a guess, I use less but I have other minerals) and a half cup of SRP per cf. Hope this helps......MIW

8. Both have their place, I think most like fish bone or charred bone, your call there but if you use these reduce your other meals. It's important not to make your mix too hot, and you can always mix kelp/alfalfa with water as a drench feed or use it strained as a spray feed.......MIW

9. I may have grabbed the wrong quote but bottom line is picking on each other like chickens in a pen, or with a high school mentality is not a productive way to spend our time here. I like to think this is an escape from the pettiness in the world. If it becomes a place for personal attacts, I'm out......MIW

10. Here ya go aptoker13. This was a post or pm sent to a member and he gladly posted the response. Hope this helps.
    LD inspired my amendment mix below. I loaded up four 3 gallon containers with this. Just before I put it together I happened on a box of Dr Earth Soft Rock Phosphate(SRP). I added it to the mineral mix (Azomite and Green Sand in equal amounts) that LD suggested.

However, LD suggested using the Glacial Rock Dust at a seperate rate of 1 cup/cuft soil. Should I have used the SRP at the same rate as his suggested mineral mix or the rate of the glacial rock dust. This is just some input I would like for future grows as I want to get this formula nailed down and work it around the edges to fine tune it along with my other liquid minerals/nutes (seaweed/fish, TM 7, etc).

JaK

Per LD (thx, +rep and all that, again, for the help with this, LD):

Let's try this approach........

I use 3 mixes to keep things straight in my old brain. They are as follows:

1. Food Mix

2. Fix-It Mix

3. Mineral Mix

Food Mix

You want about 2 cups of your food mix - however you get there. You're going to use alfalfa meal, fish meal and bone meal. Mix up a large amount with equal parts (by volume and not by weight) and add 2 cups of this mix to your soil.

If you were to decide that you wanted to add canola meal (aka rape seed meal), flax seed meal (aka linseed meal), et al. then add the same volume amount of this to your mix but you're still only going to use 2 cups of the final mix. The total amount that you want to use does not increase - you're simply making your Food Mix more diverse (a worthy goal, IMHO)

Fix-It Mix

You're using kelp meal and a combination of the neem and karanja meals. Again mix these in equal amounts (by volume) and add 1 - 1.5 cups of this mix to your potting soil. If you were to add crab meal (another good Fix-It component) you would still add the same amount even with the addition of another agent, i.e 1 - 1.5 cups.

Mineral Mix

You're using Azomite and Green Sand - mix these together like the other mixes and of this mix you'd want to add about 1 cup to your potting soil. If you were to add Limestone (or Oyster Shell Powder) and agricultural Gypsum (both available at Home Depot, BTW) you'd add these minerals by the same volume but you'd still only use 1 cup of however a diverse mix you might come up with.

Glacial Rock Dust is different and its application rate is 1 cup to 1 c.f. of potting irrespective of the other minerals you decide to go with.

All the amounts above on all of the mixes are for 1 c.f. of potting soil or 7.5 gallons (allegedly).

HTH

LD

11. Thanks a ton guys. I am going to mix up my soil today. I will eventually transfer my seedlings and post some pics. THanks again!!