The Republican Party is a Cult

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tripper157, May 5, 2010.

1. People in cults believe only one thing and will never listen to the other side. No matter how obviously wrong they are, they will keep believing only one thing.

I know this is a huge generalization, but pretty much every single republican/right-winger I have talked to shows all the traits of someone that is in a cult.

I had a discussion with a bunch of republican about Obama's Health care plan. Every single one of them is convinced it is the same exact thing as a single-payer system. When, I would point out the clear distinctions. I would get a blank stare and the same talking point argument over and over again. I am not saying, I support the the health care plan. I just think objectively enough to see the good and the bad in it.

Another thing that puzzles me is when Republicans say Obama was not born in America. Think about it: Obama came from nothing, he didn't have any powerful friends when he was starting out do you really think he could've fooled the system by himself. His original birth certificate has been produced on dozens of occasion. Those, republicans that think he was not born in America will just counter with the same argument: Well I don't think he is a citizen. I have never seen his birth certificate. Are you fucking kidding me?

Global Warming is another thing, that most republicans don't believe it. I think not believing in global warming is like thinking that the Holocaust never happened. I mean virtually every credible scientist thinks its real. I believe almost every country's official stance is that global warming is caused by men, except for America. How do you not believe something that is essentially a scientific fact, without contrasting evidence? Oh yea because some idiot republican politician said so.

I have nothing against Republicans, in general. However, i don't think I have every met one that thinks for themselves. Please, please stop watching Bill O' Rielly and open your eyes

2. The logic based in your opinion is completely invalid and can be interpreted the exact same way for the democrats

3. Why is it invalid?

Obviously, I meant "cult" as a metaphor for close minded and lacking the ability to think for themselves. This is my personal observation not a fact. With the majority of Democrats I talk to I find I can have an objective and logical discussion. While, with Republicans all they do is give me someones else talking points (either their parents, teachers, or Bill Orielly) no matter how ridiculous they are.

4. couldn't you say the same for democrats who beleive only one thing and never listen to the other side?

why just republicans?

5. again.. same goes the other way dude..

some idiot democrat politician makes a documentary.. and now it's scientific fact?

[​IMG]

6. How can someone who thinks for themselves believe in anthropogenic global warming? :confused:

7. This thread is going places.

8. OK, we can stop right there, because you're damn right this is a huge generalization. Trying to speak for even MOST people in any given party is pointless.

#1. Obama did not come from "nothing". People who come from nothing do not get groomed throughout their entire life and attend Harvard Law. Not saying it hasn't been done, but he certainly had a shitload of help.

#2. When you have money, you have Power. If people didn't actually think he had the power and control to manipulate something like a birth certificate, they wouldn't be accusing him of such. He hasn't fooled anyone "by himself". And on top of that, the questions regarding his citizenship were really brought to light mainly by him spouting off about Muslim religion. Regardless if he is or not, when you're running for President of the United States in a post 9/11 era, you should probably STFU about any ties to a religion that so many in the US are ignorant about and automatically associate with the "enemy".

There has been plenty of evidence coming forward to suggest that Global Warming is not accurate or at best inconclusive as well. Of course, opinions tend to take sides when a Democrat wins a damn Nobel Peace Prize for "discovering" this. Our world goes through cycles of change. It has for millions of years. And after the winter we just experienced, I'd sure hate to experience "Global Cooling".

Huh. You sure sound like you have something against Republicans with huge generalizations and assumptions with every one of them. Oddly enough, Republicans are finding themselves leaning more towards the Libertarian party, which tends to sit pretty damn well in the middle, between both "extremist" views, and favors all those who are fed up with bullshit from both sides.

9. I would like to see your hard science degree please.

10. Lol, take a look at the highway sometime.

I live in Rhode Island, and the amount of cars I see baffles me. Then I think about all the other states, and all the countries (especially China, more and more people get cars there every year). All those emissions can't be good for the environment, and that's just cars.

I mean I'm indifferent on the issue, and don't really know why I'm posting about this, but I used to be in disbelief that we could cause global warming, but at the same time we have to have a massive impact on our environment with the amount of nasty shit we put out now. George Carlin said the earth was fine and we were going away, and I used to take that to mean we don't really have that much of an effect on the environment...but I think it really means we can fuck up the planet only so much before we destroy ourselves, but after that the earth will be fine. Kind of like the dinosaurs.

But my main point for this thread was that the human species is a cult. Cult mentality is almost unavoidable with the way we process the world.

11. Exactly.

12. You can just go to one of the many threads where global warming has been thoroughly debunked and provide your new evidence for man's impact on climate.

I do have a degree in economics though, which enables me to see the perils of consensus in mainstream thought. It's no wonder I'm such a skeptic. Keynesianism is a failed economic theory that most people subscribe to, and most economists are still awarded Nobel prizes for. It's insane.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.

13. #13 Gooch_Goblin69, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010

Yeah bud it may have gotten warmer over the last 100 years, thats what they show in "An Inconvineint Truth" but have you ever looked at the temperature record for the last 700,000 years? Thats why gore doesn't show that because the earth has been both WARMER and COLDER than it is now at times when humans weren't around. It's been warmer when humans were around too, like from 1000AD-1550. There were record breaking crop harvests all acrossed Europe. So obviously human activity isn't the sole cause of huge temperature changes. Nope accualy the Malinkovitch cycles of the sun make alot more sense. Look it up on wikipedia.

Yeah some republicans are dumb, I've met dumb democrats to in about equal numbers. Anyone who is guillible and just slurps down whatever their party tells them is an idiot. You have use your critical thinking skills and figure shit out on your own.

14. #14 Gooch_Goblin69, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010

But dude also think of how many plants there are out their taking c02 out of the air not to mention all the bacteria taking shit out of the air. If we make more of what those organisms eat to survive, that could hypothetically lead to an increase in population of those organisms and thus pollutants are taken out of the air at a faster rate.

Some think that the drop in temperatures after periods of significant warming was caused by a boom in plant life during the hot periods and at some point there were so many plants that they sucked all the C02 out of the air and made it get realy cold. Thus lots plants died. And thus c02 began building up again at a faster rate than plants were taking it away. I think they may have affected it slightly, like humans are doing now, but ultimately it's the sun.

The sun is god. just sayin

Cult mentality is avoidable once you become the ubermensch. Thats what Nietzsche envisioned I
    think.

"I teach you the overman. Man is something that shall be overcome. What have you done to overcome him? All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."-Nietzsche

15. Um all republicans are not far right just as democrats are not all far left. There are people who tend to draw towards the center. Since you don't realize that it sounds like your part of one of the cults your preaching about. You just got bitch slapped with irony son. ......... And have you ever heard of Code Pink? That is an actual colt and they are democrats, so you need to recognize and study both political parties before you make such statements.

16. Global Warming is a hoax, there were a group of hackers who hacked a university, found thousands of emails and documents stating overall it's just bullshit for the government to tax the people for no reason. Once the word came out, the media started saying "Climate Change", what the fuck happened to Global Warming? You don't really hear about the warming anymore, now it's "change".

Over 30,000 scientists petitioned against the idea of global warming, the scientists who say it's true are either on tv, or in books edited by the ones who want people to see it. Oh well, doesn't really fucking matter because i'm just a conspiracy nut to began with.

17. Wow. Are you willfully this ignorant, or do I blame the public education system?

18. It's not like democrats are any better, so I don't see what the big deal is.

19. 2 pages in and this thread has exceeded my expectations thusfar.

I'm expecting 3-4 more pages of solid action, followed by an odd but fun bump by someone several months down the road.

20. I didn't know there would actually be people debating global warming.

Every single recognized national and international scientific society/academy have agreed that:

1) the temperature has been rising at a rapidly increasing rate in the past decade. Much, much faster then in the past
    2) Most most of that warning is attributed to human activities.
    3) If something doesn't change, then the rate at which the temperature rises will continue to increase causing types of extreme weather and rising sea levels.

-Yes there is a few scientist that dont agree with the mainstream opinion. A good deal of them wouldn't even fit the requirements to work in a academy. There will always be skeptics even with things like evolution.

-Just look at pictures of glaciers 50 years ago and now. That should be sufficient

Unless one of you is a scientist, who can give me specific data on why one of these points is false then SHUT THE FUCK UP. Because you don't know know more then scientists who have spent most of their life studying this