The reason we like pets..

Discussion in 'Pets' started by terradactyl, Sep 21, 2009.

1. #1 terradactyl, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
    why do you think we like pets?

imo we like pets because they don't have opinions (that they can express to us). they're a blank mind basically to us, so we project our thoughts on to them, making us think that they think like we think.

a pet never judges you, because you don't judge yourself, a pet never disagrees with you, because you don't disagree with yourself, and so on.

pets are an extension of our minds basically, which is why we love them. which is also why it hurts to lose one.

thats what i think at least

2. like a counselor.. a 3rd party you can talk to

then they shit all over your carpet and you wanna kick their ass!

3. Throughout history humans have used pets for practical purposes like finding and killing pests, hunting/tracking, herding, personal guard, etc. I just think that those tendencies have carried over to now where we use them as companions. I think we used them for those very purposes because of what you said OP, they are reliable, they never talk back, they listen ( to a degree) and they can focus.

4. i like dogs because no matter what happened during the day they are happy to see you
    when you get home their world is complete and you know they are in complete happyness and that makes me happy knowing i made something else happy

5. ^I like seeing my dog happy when I come home aswell. It always puts a smile on my face. My dog does this funny howl at me everytime and hops in excitement. It's a very fine example humans and almost any animal can live in complete harmony. Nature is ment to come first in humans but not nowadays. :/

6. i love seeing my dog when I get home from class. he does everything in his power to impress me, which is always. was walking him through some trails a couple days ago and he was walking next to me unleashed when he saw a bird and immediately starting focusing on it. I yelled at him to go get it, 30 seconds later hes running back to me with a dead bird in his mouth shaking his tail uncontrollably like "is this what you wanted? or i could go back and try to get another"

7. My cat keeps me company,

Is my alarm clock in the morning, greets me with purrs

Knows when I'm feeling sad 'n lonely

Right now shes curled up on my bed fast asleep..

8. ferrets are the best stoner pets ever. who needs cable tv! just get stoned and let the ferrets loose. they are amazing and so funny! anyone who has a couple of these furry little guys knows what im talkin about. cept for those in california, where weed is basically legal but ferrets are illegal lol wtf is cali on

9. I hate animalz, everytime I see my momz dog I just make sure no one is lookin' and kick it as hard as I can and giggle my ass off.

Nah I'm just kiddin', but I love reptilez somethin' about them is just so amazin'

10. Huh? I've disagreed with myself by doing shit that while I'm doing it I'm disgusted with myself.

We like pets because (i'ma take a dog in this case, cuz hampsters/rabbits don't have much personality imo) they're friendly to us no matter what pretty much, and also because as a human touch is pretty important, it's nice to be touched/touch, like that orgasmic feeling you'd get when your mother would run her fingers through your hair, or whatever.

Pets just stimulate the pleasure center imo. We know they're friendly to us, and we enjoy touching soft alive things haha. I dunno

11. "To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs." - Aldous Huxley

12. As a cat person I must say my experience with pets has been quite different cats have personalities and prejudices which they will act on with little regard for their owners. I guess I've always liked this because living for some time with a cat you can come to know them more fully then you can ever know the curious depths of a human mind.

I didn't know this until my brother got one a couple years ago. I was reticent at first, but damn if that little thing wasn't the funniest little thing ever to run about my house.

13. LOL wut

14. my dog is like my child. i love it when i come home and she gets all overly excited. then she just chills and watches tv with me. sometimes she wakes me up by attacking my feet in the morning. that's why im awake now lol

15. +Rep to notbakedenough for using the quote I was going to use :D.

This song from Iggy Pop's new album also jumps to mind.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-DXj_YhNtM"]YouTube - Iggy Pop - A Machine For Loving [10][/ame]

16. I like pets because their so damn cute and for some reason, dogs are always mostly attracted to me in a group of people, and stick with me. It's pretty awesome.