The Reality Of Reality

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by StaminaIsSuga, May 3, 2010.

1. We, as humans, give objects in this reality value or meaning. We assign the importance to these things. Lets try and give an example. Lets do money, that's a pretty standard concept. Has our society not made money a key important value? Money buys us happiness apparently. But what is money? What is the idea of money? Could we not use goods and services instead of money? Why can't i trade you this chicken (food) for you to mow my lawn?

Also in the end, you will feel no affection towards the things you value in this life. Afterlife or not, you will not recall any of these meaningful concepts or value. You will not feel affection towards things that you "love," because the only reason you "love" and feeling affection is because you have had enough experiences with that something to "love" or "care" for it.

Ponder over things you find of great value, and you will soon come to realize that it just an abstraction, as said.

2. importance is subjective. whats important to one person could be meaningless to another, why?

because humans cant agree on shit and, to be honest the only things that are truly important are those that benefit our survival (food water and shelter). anything but that, is strictly in your head.

i dont NEED to be on the internet, i just enjoy what it has to offer. thus it becomes "important" (if you wish to look at it this way).

3. Another debate about reality is that, is our human reality different than any other organisms?
    Many theologians debate that the reason the Laws of the Universe follow mathematical rules is simply because humans first invented mathematics and then started looking at the universe through their “mathematical colored glasses”. They've merely “projected” their man-made invention of mathematics onto the universe, the universe doesn't really follow laws based on mathematics. How do we know the Laws we know are as human made as the languages we all speak. Thomas Kuhn (a philosopher) has even gone so far as to say that if we ever met aliens from another planet, they could possibly have completely different “Laws” for describing the "Laws" of the universe, which could have nothing in common with our “Laws”.

4. here's a clip about Ludwig Wittgenstein (my favorite philosopher) and his formulation of launguage, meaning, and reality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-iLxleHaw&NR=1]YouTube - John Searle on Ludwig Wittgenstein: Section 2[/ame]

5. I understand what your saying but it has no meaning in everyday life. Give up all the things that you hold valuable - family - smoking - sex. Is the enjoyment you get from them abstract ?

You could go without these things and be a monk but would that give your life more meaning?

6. Abstaining from the abstraction maybe be too extreme. Is all about accepting every experience for what it is and what you can learn from it. You've been given a gift to experience life. You must experience as much as you can. The highs and the lows. It's all important so you can put the pieces together. Thoughts and choices are very powerful. Then again, this is all just my belief.

7. Do you think it is random coincidence that we as humans have the ability to choose?

I mean this towards the idea that when you think about it, our universe runs on these "laws." It is run on these laws and without them how would our universe exist? It seems like the "thing higher" than the universe created a world based on laws, and suns and planets all follow the laws, but when it comes to what the planet contains, the laws seem to become more random. I know i worded that terribly but hopefully someone gets it. So does life bring forth the statement "laws are meant to be broken" hence of our existence?

8. Damn ya'll *****s got it all wrong. One as to consider at the very basic level, that nothing is forsure. The idea of anything could be completely off. The universe could be controlled by a fat cow. That's just one example, but anything could be anything. Who is to say it's just how we look at it. That it created by God. It might just be a video game, centered just for me, were no one else is real. I mean just nothing is grounded. Definition is very undefined. Anything can be questioned. So anything that is said can not be certain. Because this universe could be anything and everything not this universe could be anything. Humans appear to be to small, just simply a organism, not made or capable of understanding it all, although our hubris creates the illusion of knowledge. So nothing is stable really, this might just be a dream. And that is not an impossible theory. Who is to say this, what we know to be everything, is how it is? It seems so stable, but that's because it's what we know and see. It actually is completely abstract and strange. One crazy fucking story line if you ask me. If it was created by something, that's pretty impressive. To be able to become up with the idea of life. You have to imagine if there was nothing and creating that life and all it's intracaties. Amazing. But then again we might have the wrong idea of time with no beginning. hence no creator. Maybe many many universes before. All part of a game in some dudes office. I think the best way to view everything is as one of those pictures were you see two people watching two people watching two people watching two people infinitely idea. But I do believe that the idea of religion is proposperous. Who is to say god just focuses on human one species and that its all for us. Thats just the hubris talking. I mean its possible beacuase anything could be anything, but it just seems unliekely. But this is what I realized. If you view life as a game, it's one amazing fucking game. Wouldn't you buy that if it was avaliable at game stop? (Bring it back to your sckewed view of whats "important") This game has virtual reality. Youre in it. You get to be a charchter , no control though, and do what ever you want. ANYTHING. better then gta and youre in it. and its this story line. what a story line. what if the game created all the story line like in some fictional game. Amazing. so this game is fucking great. But man sees its over my head. try to comphrehend it all and you just get fuck, obisouly not made to understand, but who knows. anything could be anything

9. Your very imaginative :)

I like reading something about nothing.

I have a question, it may be stupid or it may not. You said,

"Definition is very undefined"

Define "undefined" and is it more factual than the term definition.

A common theme in these reality/what if, is how people in their description of what they beleive/want to beleive - allow certain words to have more signifigance over other words.

I have read that people say it may be abstract to feel for something.

Well anyway I dont know what the fuck I am talking about :smoke:

Except to say that even in trying to communicate your beleifs you are contradicting urselfs.

I do it as well, thats how the world works.

10. #30 .....CAM....., May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010