The real Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'General' started by tokinbud420, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Jedi mind tricks posted this n their facebook feed, I felt it was worth sharing..

the REAL Thanksgiving: Most of us associate the holiday with happy Pilgrims and Indians sitting down to a big feast. And that did happen - once.

The story began in 1614 when a band of English explorers sailed home to England with a ship full of Patuxet Indians bound for slavery. They left behind smallpox which virtually wiped out those who had escaped. By the time the Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts Bay they found only one living Patuxet Indian, a man named Squanto who had survived slavery in England and knew their language. He taught them to grow corn and to fish, and negotiated a peace treaty between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Nation. At the end of their first year, the Pilgrims held a great feast honoring Squanto and the Wampanoags.

But as word spread in England about the paradise to be found in the new world, religious zealots called Puritans began arriving by the boat load. Finding no fences around the land, they considered it to be in the public domain. Joined by other British settlers, they seized land, capturing strong young Natives for slaves and killing the rest. But the Pequot Nation had not agreed to the peace treaty Squanto had negotiated and they fought back. The Pequot War was one of the bloodiest Indian wars ever fought.

In 1637 near present day Groton, Connecticut, over 700 men, women and children of the Pequot Tribe had gathered for their annual Green Corn Festival which is our Thanksgiving celebration. In the predawn hours the sleeping Indians were surrounded by English and Dutch mercenaries who ordered them to come outside. Those who came out were shot or clubbed to death while the terrified women and children who huddled inside the longhouse were burned alive. The next day the governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony declared "A Day Of Thanksgiving" because 700 unarmed men, women and children had been murdered.

Cheered by their "victory", the brave colonists and their Indian allies attacked village after village. Women and children over 14 were sold into slavery while the rest were murdered. Boats loaded with a many as 500 slaves regularly left the ports of New England. Bounties were paid for Indian scalps to encourage as many deaths as possible.

Following an especially successful raid against the Pequot in what is now Stamford, Connecticut, the churches announced a second day of "thanksgiving" to celebrate victory over the heathen savages. During the feasting, the hacked off heads of Natives were kicked through the streets like soccer balls. Even the friendly Wampanoag did not escape the madness. Their chief was beheaded, and his head impaled on a pole in Plymouth, Massachusetts -- where it remained on display for 24 years.

The killings became more and more frenzied, with days of thanksgiving feasts being held after each successful massacre. George Washington finally suggested that only one day of Thanksgiving per year be set aside instead of celebrating each and every massacre. Later Abraham Lincoln decreed Thanksgiving Day to be a legal national holiday during the Civil War -- on the same day he ordered troops to march against the starving Sioux in Minnesota.

This story doesn't have quite the same fuzzy feelings associated with it as the one where the Indians and Pilgrims are all sitting down together at the big feast. But we need to learn our true history so it won't ever be repeated. Next Thanksgiving, when you gather with your loved ones to Thank God for all your blessings, think about those people who only wanted to live their lives and raise their families. They, also took time out to say "thank you" to Creator for all their blessings.

what ya think?:smoking:

2. I think the fact we still call native americans Indians is ridiculous.

Seriously, it stemmed from a mistake over 400 years ago, about a guy mistaking the east coast USA for India, and actually believing the natives where Indians.

A Indian is one of those Hindu motherfuckers that reek of curry. (Surprisingly they all come from India.)

3. yea I guess the fact they're called indians is annoying?:confused:

what do you think of the rest of the content i posted...?

4. Ive heard conflicting stories, that come from more convincing sources.

This came from the Manataka American Indian Council, to be honest, I sense a really strong bias.

5. Its savage i guess but didn't "indians" also war with each other, brutally murdering fellow natives?

6. I think that applies to all kinds of people

7. I'm not sure but probably, man always wants to war with one another for some strange reason.

8. Yes man is naturally a fighting animal, but when it boils down to it, creating and expanding in the america's would probably not have gone over well with the natives, they probably would have been wiped out at one point or another.....

9. damn............ppl were fuckin mean.....still are....what are we doing...

war? how stupid is that...why dont we just ban all guns all over the world as well as bombs and other warfare....fuck that shit......why cant we make it so a fight between nations might not result in the planet blowing up....damn ppl are stupid.

10. Idk why not ban currency as well, because money is the root if all evil right?.... And as a gun lover and hunter i would hate that, weapons and killing techniques are only going to advance, its a fact, of course until we blow ourselves into oblivion lol.....

11. inevitably they probably would have wiped themselves out but still others lived peaceful lives that were completely destroyed with the arrival of the colonists. We, being the colonists, accelerated the removal of the native people of their land.

People are very stupid, I agree. It's fucked up, dude. It's a harsh reality but fighting will always exist. For some reason its etched in the genes of our species. Maybe it's a type of natural darwinism. Natural depopulation from within.

12. I hate to sound insensitive, but really? Can we just call it water under the bridge? Everybody knows that Columbus was an asshole and the native Americans were here first. Just give it a rest. The holiday Thanksgiving has evolved into a holiday where you're supposed to give thanks and appreciate friends and family. Nobody associates it with that conflict anymore.

It was more than 500 years ago. Just eat some turkey or whatever and be happy you're with your family instead of being raped by some narcissistic Italian.

13. "natural depopulation" i like that theory.

14. You can be ignorant to the past if you want and celebrate your turkey day, be my guest. I'm not saying we should feel horrible about this, no one in this generation even had anything to do with whats in the article. I just think it's interesting that we have a holiday celebrating the day several hundred people were murdered, is all..History isn't nice at all, in fact a lot of it is brutal, bloody, horrible wars and massacres. Like I said man always wants to war with each other, natural darwinism? I dont know.

15. i'm sure glad the goodness of human spirit over 300-some-odd years has morphed the festivities into an altogether more wholesome and enjoyable experience.

that i can enjoy. and get realy stoned and eat tons of turkeyyy :hello::smoke:

and the fact is,

the most brutal of times and events of history, WILL be repeated, no matter WHAT we teach people about those instances in the past. the question is only when, and i really don't care if it's 1000 years from now or 10,000 or 100,000. our capability to commit evil is far greater than that to prevent it.

at the very least, directly before humankind becomes extinct, there will be some period of massive turmoil and distress, wherein humankinds' grim animalistic nature will again be dominant and necessary for survival. At some point, pure brutality will reign.

and after that, there will be ice ages, global scale natural catastrophies, whatever else, and in however many million or billion years the sun will die out anyway. PLENTY of shit that would have just wiped us the fuck out EVEN IF we hadn't obliterated ourselves already, WILL HAVE happened, in the future. whenever.

Just don't see the point in caring about humans that will live hundreds of years from now. They cannot affect your life now, and far in the future BOTH of your lives will have become equally meaningless. And if I don't have an incentive to concern myself with future humans, I certainly don't see the need to dwell on past mistakes.

by the way, I don't necessarily really agree with any of the above, just throwing out some counteragrumentsss...

and i say with a cheerful heart and NO apologies: "HAPPY THANKSGIVING"
    I give thanks that we live in a rare period in human history (<0.5%, maybe?) where some of the world is pretty peaceful and civilized.

:confused:

16. For real? Ras Kass said in "Nature of the Threat"

"On November 25th, 1491
    Santiago defeats the last Muslim stronghold, Grenada
    King Ferdinand gave thanks to God for victory
    And the Pope of Rome and declared this date to forever be
    A day of "Thanksgiving" for all European Christians

.. Now listen, when you celebrate "Thanksgiving"
    What you are actually celebratin
    is the proclamation of the Pope of Rome
    Who later, in league with Queen Isabella
    sent Cardinal Ximenos to Spain
    to murder any blacks that resisted Christianity
    These Moors, these black men and women
    were from Baghdad, Turkey
    And today, you eat the turkey, for your "Thanksgiving" day
    as the European Powers destroyed the Turkeys
    Who were the forefathers of your mothers and fathers
    Now fight the power, you bitch-ass *****z!"

This claim doesn't hold any truth to it?

17. [quote name='"Krementz"']Its savage i guess but didn't "indians" also war with each other, brutally murdering fellow natives?[/quote]

When Indians went to war there were generally few casualties. Native American warriors were revered if they'd killed like 3 people in battle during their whole life.. I'm sure this wasn't the case for every tribe but I used to read a lot of books about this crap and it was often the case. Native Americans were more wiped out by disease than war.. Although there was no shortage of brutal murders from the Europeans.

The genocide of native Americans is a black spot in our history, but it shouldn't ruin thanksgiving.

18. #19 TexRx, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    It's typical Americana

We visualize our Thanksgiving 'feast' as something peaceful......A moment where Pilgrims and Native Americans seemed to have called a truece and are sharing a meal in honor of this

But the reality is that Native Americans are still segregated in the USA. Left to live mainly on reservations....and most don't want to be a part of our world

It's frustrating how it's kinda bogus. Native Americans were slaughtered just like the original post demonstrates .......But we impose peaceful imagery that hides the truth. The native americans were mostly not or friends and they still aren't

:)

19. Christopher Columbus never once saw nor stepped foot in what is present day USA. He saw the Caribbeans and called them the West Indies, and thought all the native Americans of as Indians.

Just sayin.