The real reason why Marijuana is illegal?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by wackjob18, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Lots of people think the reason why Marijuana is illegal is simply because people are dumb conforming sheep and they listen to everything the government tells them. Yes I agree to this statement when it comes to our society and culture being against it.

But my question is, why is the government against it? I hear lots of people say "Because the politicians are just stupid" I personally disagree. I think politicians are smart people and know how to manipulate people in order for people to be on their side.

I also hear people say all the time that Marijuana will help the economy. (now before I go on, I am extremely ignorant to what I'm gonna say and my opinion might be totally wrong). Would it?

This is just an opinion of mine that could totally be wrong, but I think the real reason why Marijuana is illegal is because it would hurt the drug companies (and possible alcohol, tobacco companies) big time. I'm ignorant when it comes to any drug besides Marijuana so I could be wrong, but what I have noticed is that all drugs that are legal are difficult to make yourself. Like if you make alcohol wrong, it can have devastating effects on you. I'm pretty sure most legal drugs are the same way as well.

I think this gives companies big advantages because they are a company and their survivability is about how good their product is. Also if a product is hard to make, they basically control the price. Especially with drugs because drugs for many people is very important. So they can charge 100$ for a tiny bit of their product and people will pay for it because they have to.

However, if a product was easy to make (like Marijuana is) they would not have as much control over the market. Because if they grossly overpriced it then people could just make it themselves and not pay for it at all.

And if Marijuana has lots of medical benefits and it's easy to make and on top of that it has almost no bad side effects, there is no real reason to not use it. So what the government does is label Marijuana as a "immoral and bad drug" so then the sheep minded people (which sadly is the majority of people) will not use it. Even though in real logical sense, it makes no sense to be against it. Of course, who the fuck uses logic these days?

Although Marijuana may help the economy overall (idk if it would if it had a big devastating effect on the drug companies, alcohol, and tobacco), I wouldn't be surprised if politicians in the federal government are lobbied by drug companies (and maybe other companies) to be against Marijuana, so then that company has complete control over the drug market and they can jack up their price to anything they want and people will have to pay for it.

Do you think I hit the nail on the head or am I totally missing something?

2. Marijuana is illegla because the hemp associated with it threatened the timber industry so they began to make promotions against it so the timber industry would prosper

3. Watch "The Union: Business Behind Getting High.

4. Marijuana was made illegal because blacks and mexicans smoked it, got happy, jolly, talked to whites, made music. Higher class people didnt understand how those people could be so happy, so they made it illegal because it must have been from satan himself. The reason it is still illegal today is because it can put so many other companies out of buisiness, and eventually could hurt politicians. Politicians are nothing without money. So that, and along with politicians being too afraid too admit their mistakes, is why it is illegal. Case closed.

5. No that is what they used for the public to make it illegal not the real reason

6. It is the reason... The whole hemp thing was why hemp was made illegal, We arent talking about hemp. Though relatives, they are two differant plants.

7. lol if that were how it really was then hemp would be legal right now :D

8. It is legal... In the US atleast, you just can not grow it.

9. I wonder why that is

10. There made it illeagl because mexican were coming in the US and "taking there jobs" and black males were seen as a threat to the white man so there like "lets kill 2 birds with one stone" and make the one thing that black,mexican,native american,and outlaws had in common witch was smoking the marijuana plant,witch at the time the white people took cannabis in the liquid form for the stores.Too bad their elaborate plan fail miserably as they still have a problem with them "taking there jobs" and black males are still tapping that sweet white ass.:bongin:

11. * Racism
    * Fear
    * Protection of Corporate Profits
    * Yellow Journalism
    * Ignorant, Incompetent, and/or Corrupt Legislators
    * Personal Career Advancement and Greed

Why is Marijuana Illegal? «

^^^ It's a long read, but it pretty much tells the whole story

12. regarding the tobacco companies fearing it, i don't really think that's really the case. yeah, it's not addictive, but it's lucrative and much safer than tobacco... and, since they already have a huge infrastructure set up that could EASILY be converted to producing cannabis, and that they already have facilities that they could process it with... it's like it'd be a no-brainer.

and besides, people typically want to continue smoking weed... they usually don't want to continue smoking tobacco most times... so, it would be a much more enduring market for them.

granted, they probably feared it in the first place, but now? well, i'm sure there are a couple CEO's that would leap at the chance to be able to grow and sell marijuana cigarettes (hell, maybe even MJ/Tobacco blend cigs too.) cause, that's one hell of a nice slice of the pie to be eating, moneywise.

13. Weed is illegal because William Randolf Hearst's paper concern was at risk because of the growing popularity of hemp, so he used his influence and people's racism to turn public opinion against weed by linking it to mexican immigrants. Awesome history lesson, right? :(

14. Why was it made illegal in 1937?

Ever hear of nylon? Or plastic? Or DuPont?

Hemp was (and remains) a threat to the new product nylon in the mid 1930's. The Secretary of the Treasury, Andrew Mellon, was also DuPont's banker. So Treasury got a revenue act, the Stamp Act, passed eliminating the threat hemp posed to the new technology that is nylon and its derivatives.

Nixon was threatened by hippies in the early 70's when he was looking at ways to win re-election in 1972. So the Controlled Substances Act came into effect and cannabis was included in Schedule 1 of the CSA. It helped get him re-elected in a landslide so it must have been the right move. ;)

Why is it still illegal? Because of the money it created for the warriors waging the war on drugs and representatives thinking that a pro-prohibition stance is necessary to win election.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."
    - Upton Sinclair

Here's a tidbit for you...Nixon was right because the Dirty F***ing Hippies were right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKEZoY-TMG4"]YouTube- Dirty F@#*ing Hippies Were Right![/ame]