The Pursuit of Science...

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Cannibetrue, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Initially I was going to say "science is a method, not a destination. It's easily available to us all." but then I realized that wasn't true. Although observation and pattern-seeking comes naturally to all of us, true and sincere inquiry into all claims equally, is a very difficult challenge, for any person.

"We humans long to be connected to our origins, so we create rituals. Science is another way to express this longing. It also connects us with our origins, and it too, has its rituals and commandments. Its only sacred truth, is that are no sacred truths. All assumptions must be critically examined. Arguments from authority are worthless. Whatever is inconsistent with the facts, no matter how fond of it we are, must be discarded or revised. Science is not perfect. It is often misused. It is only a tool, but it is the best tool we have. Self-correcting, ever-changing, applicable to everything. With this tool, we vanquish the impossible."
    --Carl Sagan​

2. Surely it's a method for arriving at a destination? despite the destination being seemingly all encompassing

3. Nice dude, I clicked join.

4. I like science.

5. I just saw the 10 dimensions video on youtube.

I feel heavy, bloated with information...

I think that's what sleep is really for... :smoke:

6. Hmm. I like to think of science as a destination.

think about this. Many yongue scientists go down a field. Live, study, create somehting awsome, and eventually retire.

why retire?

Each person in his own right, simply wants to learn something the person who taught him didnt know. Curiosity is a basic human need.

But after a while the goals change. Science becomes a meathod of obtaining a more comfortable life.

And I think that is the point of science. And why people should give scientists money. It is because in the end, the point of knowing all this, is to use it to make us better.

7. We need a League of Extraordinary Scientists!!!!

I'd donate my money to that....:smoke: