Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The "Purple HAze is DEad" or isn't thread

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by 4Cave2man0, Feb 1, 2010.

1. So im going to make this part short

People on another's thread turned into a argument on wether or not PurpleHaze
    is legit or not..I Say i have seen plenty of different purple strains.I just call it the purp..it gets me lifted, personally i dont give a shit what the name is, its purple, a full oz takes up 2 sandwich bags...lasts forever...Fluffy PURPLE so yeah.....What its GC opinion of the dead purple haze is alive or dead theory...

I say sure its around..(not caring)

2. There are hazes that are purple, therefore "purple haze". Most strains don't become completely extinct, just hard to locate. Anyways, the name purple haze is the biggest gimmick, most of the time. Some dealers sell any purple bud they have as purple haze. Purple is just a color, it isn't relative to potency. Purple buds are usually overrated. It seems like many uneducated smokers think purp is always the best. There are quite a few great purples. Many people seem to think that purple is really unique, and the BEST.

3. well i couldn't agree with you more, my point is

if it is purple word im going to smoke it just as if it was green...

4. people are turning this into a tupac debate for some reason.

why is it so hard to believe a strain has not gone extinct just like that?

purple haze lives on and lucky people smoke it.

5. best answer, also from that thread

6. I Just have had it man thats all..if i get lucky enough to go to amsterdam by august...il enjoy it or i have to wait until next december....Only way ill know it is legit otherwise...i just smoke the purple and just call it purp...that does it for me

7. Purple Haze is not dead. I got some shit from my dealer two weeks ago. Shit was the best weed I have EVER smoked. It was legit purple haze. Maybe its easy for me to find because I'm from the Bay Area (Northern California). I would have taken some pictures to show off but my and my pals smoked that shit reallllll quick! ahahahha

8. Noone knows if it's still around or not.
    I've talked to family members who smoked this back then and they say nothing even compared.
    Of course anyone could cross breed some haze with some purple and call it purple haze. I think we should just let it die, or have some amazing breeder try to re create this masterpiece.

9. So you are going to Holland in search of a strain which was created and bred here in the US? he Dutch breeders had shit for strains until we introduced our hybrids over there in the mid 80's. Blaze All Day is 100% correct, Purple Haze was a phenotype foundin the Original Haze which was created here in the United States by 2 brothers later nicknamed "The Haze Brothers" in the 70's and then introduced to Dutch breeders in or around 1984-85. Anyone who knows anything about strains know certain phenotypes are extremely rare. So to make it simple, most places claiming Purple Haze is full of it b/c that particular Haze pheno is about 1 out of every 1000 Original Haze plants.

Recreate what, a phenotype of an already created strain? I do know it is still around, only not in purple form, however only a select few breeders actually have the true Original Haze, which is where the phenotype came from. All Purple Haze was/is is a phenotype found in the Orinial Haze.

10. I bet 1 or 2 breeders still have the legit strain but for all practical concerns the strain is dead. I agree with most people that the name is just a marketing gimmick. I get sick of people saying they have legit purple haze. I don't fucking beleive you. Also many strains without the geno for purple can be "shocked" ( usually stressed by lowering to innapropriate temps) into being purple.

11. its still around but the chances of you gettin it are slim to none. anyone toking on Purple haze is way more than likely an old timer

12. It is not a genotype, it is phenotype, they are 2 slightly different things when it comes to cannabis breeding. However +rep for knowing that many phenotype expressions can be forced by altering the environment. A phenotype can be an expression of genotype, however phenotype is 50% environment whereas genotype is the genetic and chromosomal make-up of the strain. That being said, you can create phenotypes by changing the environment any given strain is grown in. As "MNd0ti" stated, one can change several conditions in the environment any given strain is grown, and produce different phenotype expressions.

Back when Haze was bred, early 70's era, one did not have the resources we have now; i.e.: internet, publications on horticulture and botony, grow guides, etc.... It is the same with any phenotype strain, if discovered, and a model male is also found, it can be backcrossed into the F1 mother and recreated pretty much in it's true form.

Changing temps and/or altering the environment is not so much producing a stable phenotype as it is more of forcing the exprssion of the phenotype vs actually producing the phenotype naturally.