The psychology of social networking

Discussion in 'General' started by Gooch_Goblin69, Sep 22, 2010.

1. #1 Gooch_Goblin69, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
    Why is the "my day" thread so popular in the real life forum that it has to have a sticky?

Are there really so many lonely people out there that they have to come to the internet to tell people about their day? Will their friends not listen? Do they have friends? Does that whole forum represent a socially retarded cross-section of the earths population?

You decide GC!!!!:wave:

The title of the thread has been changed from The Psychology of GC to the current title. This really isn't about GC. It's about social networking. *RMJL

2. You cant have friends on the internet?

that sucks for you.

3. Maybe the person's bad day involved their friends or family or others who would generally listen?

Why ya have to hate?

4. i don't become friends by saying arbitrary bullshit to eachother.

A friend on the internet is not a friend just an idea that you build up in your mind to suit your own needs.

5. Untrue. I've become real friends with some blades I've met on this site, a couple I've met in real life and a few I've just talked with on the phone. But they've been there for me like any other friend I have, where I met them makes no difference.

6. Has it not been been your day,your week,your month or even your year Gooch?

7. Maybe they dont

8. Awesome, I just started watching Friends.

Is there really a difference between talking to people in real life and talking to them online? We're all people just having conversations. I used to play a game with someone online and then we became friends and then became college roommates.

9. no....I have real life friends that I smoke with on this website that I originally met through the internet.....arbitrary bullshit? lol:smoke:

10. I don't know if you've noticed...but we're on an online forum. People talk about things. Some people talk about their day. Some people talk about sealing joints with semen.

It's a forum.

11. It's okay OP, I'll be your friend.

12. *sigh*

I'm interested in the psychological drive to post things about your life for total strangers to read. It's just strange to me, I've even caught myself doing it. Why why why?!?!

13. Social Gratification? Expression?

some write in journals, some write anonymously for the world to hear.

14. do you mean to that this website has filled the need for socializing that humans have, instead of real face to face interactions with people?

My god our world has gone to hell.:hide:

15. Why though? They know there thoughts why do they feel a need to write it down?

16. It's easier to post embarrassing things anonymously because...well that should be obvious. I don't know why people would post boring mundane things that they do every day though. I think the main reason people post personal things here is because they want someone to give them +rep.

17. It would be unhealthy to try and obtain all of your social gratification through the internet....but honestly, that is all some people have, and you must learn to respect that.

18. Oh I'm not going to try to stop them. But I can have my opinion.

And my opinion is this: Socializing in this manner will ultimately lead to changes in human congitive functions and/or behavior. Part of human developement is face to faceinteraction and if you change that you will get a different results. Whether they are good or bad I do not know, but I aim to find out.

19. So Wrong

Where else, except a bar maybe, are ya gonna find someone to "talk" to at 2am :D

20. Since the Internet started gaining mass appeal in the 1990s we have been changing the way we socialize. Blind dates now start via online dating sites as opposed to friends setting up friends, people now find information and like-minded individuals through sites like GrassCity, and Chris Hansen's job has never been easier. Over the last few decades, we have changed our day-to-day life based around the internet.

One of the biggest changes we have seen is the "power" that people feel when granted anonymity. Scientifically speaking, it can turn you into a "god." Why do you think places like 4chan, 7chan, 420chan not only exist, but thrive even though they do not have a truly organized forum structure? The anonymity to say and do whatever you want, knowing the repercussions only range from a temporary ban to a permaban. These people will say things they would never say on a regular day-to-day basis (supposedly), yet the fact that they are anonymous in their posting allows them to view themselves as someone nothing can stop from saying or posting whatsoever pleases them carnally.

So the reason somebody posts on the "My Day" threads here could be for a plethora of reasons. They've had a bad day, and they want to vent without having to break the facade they've created in real life by confiding in their friends who aren't in this forum. Perhaps they've had a fantastic, uplifting day and want to share it with the world, so they post it here in hopes that maybe somebody finds solace in their joy. Or perhaps they are just searching for +rep, as stated earlier.

So yeah, the internet is changing how we interact with one another. Big whoop. So long as human interaction still remains a large part of our society, we can adapt. Not saying that it will end well, nor that it will end horribly. We could go the way of a Utopia where the internet is merely another communication outlet, or we go the way of Brave New World with our interactions serving only as a way to forward a consumerist society.