The prohibition of illicit substances

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Tryptagogia, Jun 14, 2010.

1. What is your opinion on it and what hypotheses do you draw on the standing prohibition of substances proven to be less harmful than already legal substances, such as Marijuana Versus Tobacco or Alcohol.

2. Yo, I'm sorry I gotta be the one who breaks the news to you. This is a marijuana forum.....called Grasscity.com......of course people want to see it legal.

3. Any substance on this planet that I decide to consume/ingest into my body should be legal.

4. Yes, but many people have different opinions on it, for example people who run Grow Op's profit off of it's illegality and there are any number of reasons why a stoner may or more often may not want it to be illegal.

I'm questioning the community as to why they think it is illegal.

5. I cant remember where I saw this quote, but this guy said something along the lines of..

Ok so we're on this big blue ball spinning at 300 mph around this gigantic million degree fireball in this infinite space we call the universe....and you're telling me I can't smoke what I want?

6. Anyone who has ever even looked into this knows that prohibition only brings violence and creates a black market

7. While we allow people to slowly kill themselves with alcohol, tobacco, and cheeseburgers .... all of them addictive, toxic, and life-ruining as fuck .... any sort of prohibition on chemical-based "guilty pleasures" is hypocrisy at its worst.

8. #8 Blaxmith, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
    I think this thread becomes a lot more interesting when we exclude cannabis... i mean 1) this is a cannabis forum, but 2) cannabis has been said to be one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man, and that was from the DEA's own Administrative Law Judge!! LOLFEST!

first off, illicit, in regard to its common use, its bullshit. whenever you see illicit, its used to describe something that is obviously illegal, like hardcore drugs. but illicit MEANS illegal, so it would be very redundant to use the word unless there was something else to it... the only difference is, the word "illicit" has a very prevalent connotation that means harmful. sadly, many many things are harmful, and almost none of them are illicit. when you say "illicit substances", we're basically talking about popular psychoactive drugs.

this is backwards for a couple reasons, it gets into society's head. people think that "illicit substance" = harmful, and therefore psychoactive drugs are harmful, which CAN be true, but almost EVERYTHING can be fatal to some degree (except cannabis, which just exaggerates the retardedness of the cannabis laws, but is not the point. we all know cannabis should be legal).

when we get down to it, cheeseburgers can be just as dangerous as things like Aspirin and Morphine (even potatoes can be deadly. 10 raw potatoes and you'll die). but cheeseburgers are legal, why?? CAUSE THIS IS FUCKING AMERICA. WE GET TO DO WHATEVER THE FUCK WE WANT, AS LONG AS IT DOESNT HURT ANYONE ELSE OR INFRINGE ON THEIR FREEDOM.. this is a fundamental american belief: individual liberties. its the shit our country was founded on, its why the whiteys came to this continent in the first place! so once we realize this, i think its natural for rational people to change their stance on illegal drugs.

ALL drugs should be legal, not because they arent as harmful as they're made out to be, and not because people should be doing these drugs, but because this is fucking america. If people push for prohibition of anything, without also pushing for the prohibition of Alcohol and Cheeseburgers, they're hypocrits, and are probably making money off of either a) cheeseburgers, or b) alcohol, c) crooked law enforcement officers, who receive funds FROM TAXPAYERS to fight a "war on drugs." Although people may think that the Drug War targets drug smugglers and 'King Pins,' in 2008, 49.8 percent (half) of the 1,702,537 total arrests for drug abuse violations were for marijuana -- a total of 847,863. Of those, 754,224 people were arrested for marijuana possession alone (btw that data is available @ http://drugwarfacts.org/cms/?q=node/53 ) or d) the pharmaceutical industry, which would be destroyed by cannabis legalization, seeing as ALMOST every modern "medicine" (which causes thousands of deaths each year through improper use) can be replaced by cannabis, while being completely safe, natural, and free to grow.

in conclusion, the only people that REALLY think drugs should be illegal are making money from prohibition. everyone else is brainwashed by the phrase "illicit."

to those that say "but drugs like crack cocaine destroy neighborhoods! they destroy families!" this may be true, but poverty is really the thing that destroys neighborhoods, not crack. alcohol destroys families too, and cheeseburgers kills people too, but if people were to try to ban either of these "illicit substances," we would laugh in their faces. they already tried with alcohol, and that was a lolfest. if someone started to whine about cheeseburgers killing people, we'd say: "THEN STOP EATING CHEESEBURGERS YOU FAT FUCK" even though they're just as addictive and can be as deadly as some of the illegal, hardcore, psychoactive drugs that people are familiar with.

9. Yeah, asking a bunch of stoners if they think weed should be legal is not gonna be interesting.

10. which is why its a lot more interesting when we exclude cannabis, which is how i started my last post :smoking: