Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The problem with TOO MANY Dispensaries in L.A. - KCET Piece

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by WildWill, May 15, 2009.

1. #1 WildWill, May 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2009
    I watched this piece with great interest, because I believe that there are too many MMJ dispensaries in Los Angeles, and I agree with many of the people interviewed in this piece. I'm also VERY PRO MMJ of course, which leads me to a quandry: I only promote clubs who are 100% legal in the city, not waiting for a hardship exemption. It's all a political FUBAR situation.

Anyway, watch it and learn, I think it's a very even handed piece and doesn't come down against MMJ at all.

http://p.castfire.com/fcieq/video/96533/96533_2009-05-14-223856.flv

2. #2 Lmfao, May 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    Hah ya there are at least 30 within a 10 minute radius of where I live.

3. I find it extremely telling that in the bay area, there's what, 22 dispensaries in San Francisco and FOUR in Oakland (and they call themselves "Oaksterdam", and now there's over 500 in Los Angeles City. Between Melrose and Santa Monica and La Brea and La Cienega there are at least a dozen that I can think of off the top of my head. That's just an area of about four square miles (don't quote me on that). It's worse in the San Fernando Valley.

It's out of control. I'm all for clubs that are 100% legal, and above board, but most of the newer ones aren't. Pretty much ANYTHING that opened after 2007 is illegal these days.

4. Let's not forget that probably 90% of the people with cards don't really have a true medical 'need'.

5. Well, that may or may not be true - but let's stay on subject. If we start going around quantifying everyone's medical condition then we become completely elitiest.

As long as you HAVE a qualifying condition and can find a reputable doctor to give you a recommendation, you're OK in my book.

6. Don't get me wrong; I think it should be 100% legal for everyone, not just as medicine. I just know a lot of people who get cards who don't really 'need' them and IMO that slows down desire and impetus for full legalization.

The whole med card thing makes no sense to me really. If it's medicine it should be prescribed just like any other. It shouldn't be in it's own class with regards to that.

But yes to get on topic, next to the whole 'gaming the system' argument the thing I hear back from my legislators here who are against any sort of MMJ or legal cannabis is the proliferation of illegal ops in some of the States that have MMJ laws. There is a LOT of profiteering going on under the guise of MMJ and dispensaries and it's not gone unnoticed by lawmakers.

7. #7 apollo45, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    wow that is alot of dispensaries for one city block. thats just in your face for people that dont partake, which is understandable.

maybe over the next ten years or something a bunch of them will close just because of a surplus of locations for pot. i mean if i lived in that city, i will have picked my favorite 1 or 2 locations, and only visit those stores.

EDIT: holy crap the application to open a dispensary is FREE in LA. thats just unheard of for any city permit. i cant believe they arent selling permits, i thought that would be the whole appeal to a city gov. for their state to legalize for medicine.

8. California is riding the fence, they need the revenue.

9. thats crazy. yea thats a few too many

10. ditto.

11. I think that's a big part of it. Gov. Schwarzenegger is pushing for a debate on legalization

12. make sure you understand, it's not the entire state, it's LOS ANGELES - and the city council is just being a bunch of MORONS over the whole issue.

I guarantee you that when they figure out who's responsibility it is to close these illegal shops, they will do so.

13. This is true, but it's the halfway copout MMJ laws that enable it. Yet another reason why we need full legalization and normalization of cannabis. MMJ shouldn't be in a class by itself; it should be prescribed by a doctor and bought just like any other medicine.*

*Or self grown.

14. I completely agree. How does it look if hundreds of dispensaries are sprouting up around the city. In my book, if you are not 110% legal, then you are contributing to a setback for the legalization of marijuana.

and i agree with MJ being prescribed just like any other medicine. Hell i agree that it should be legalized completely. But i guess for now im going to have to settle with proliferating counter-productive illegal dispensaries. It almost isn't fair :(

15. No almost. It's not fair, but life isn't about being fair. One must fight for one's rights or they are never realized, or worse yet existing ones vanish.

16. Edit: It's bullshit and not fair and the problem needs to be recognized and fixed immediately.

There we go.

17. Yeah the video is more of a study of Government miscomunication and general incompetence.

It also highlights the attitude that pervades our entire system that people would rather spend years trying to figure out who's fault it is, rather than sacking up and fixing the problem. I hate that shit, but look at the newspaper, that's all you see the government doing. "Who knew about torture and didn't fix it." "Who broke the economy." Just get over it, it's done, so now move on and try to make a tiny bit of forward progress, for christs sake. I hate this country.

18. you make a lot of sense, and i agree.

19. #19 ilikebud, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
    smoking bud completely stopped my migraines, and helps with insomnia and i think its the reason the bits of anxiety i used to get went away. but i dont have a medical NEED for it, but when im 18 im getting a card so that i dont have to worry about police.

you agreed that you were 18 or older when you joined GC

20. i dont see the problem with all these dispensaries... theres streets where i live with 6 liquor stores on 2 blocks and i think its dumb but it doesnt cause any problems... theres four grocery stores on ONE block, but whats the problem... and with the clinics, its not like people smoke outside of them or like they advertise their weed outside of the clinic, so whats the problem with a lot of them?