Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The problem I see with MMJ

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by s3v loves you, Jan 7, 2012.

1. As with every drug, you build a tolerance to weed. From what I've saw/read, dispensary prices are about the same as street price, sometimes even more. If someone on a low budget uses MMJ for medicinal purposes daily, he/she is going to build a tolerance.

Higher tolerance=more weed
    More weed=more money

Of course, you can always buy in bulk (1-2 lids at a time) but even that is going to run $350-600.

Isn't weed just too expensive for some people who actually need it?

I mean don't quote me on this, but I don't think many people spend $400 a month on their (non-MMJ) medication.

2. Oh you'd be very very wrong with the amounts of money people spend on prescriptions...especially the elderly. Also prescriptions are usually covered by health insurance, if they WEREN'T you'd be paying a TON.

For example: I take a non-generic anti-depressant - every month it's $25 - except for the first couple months of the year when I have a HUGE deductible that I have to pay - so this month it was $131!

IF I DID NOT have insurance it would be $131 every month. Oh and that insurance - we pay a good $250 a week through my wife's work for me and my daughter.

The elderly who aren't on Medicare or have Health Insurance can rack up huge prescription bills. There are drugs out there that cost anywhere between $10 and $100 PER PILL.

I worked in the Health Insurance field for a time, I know of what I speak.

The difference between pharmaceuticals and MMJ is that Pharmas are covered by insurance and MMJ is not.

3. [quote name='"WildWill"']Oh you'd be very very wrong with the amounts of money people spend on prescriptions...especially the elderly. Also prescriptions are usually covered by health insurance, if they WEREN'T you'd be paying a TON.

For example: I take a non-generic anti-depressant - every month it's $25 - except for the first couple months of the year when I have a HUGE deductible that I have to pay - so this month it was $131!

IF I DID NOT have insurance it would be $131 every month. Oh and that insurance - we pay a good $250 a week through my wife's work for me and my daughter.

The elderly who aren't on Medicare or have Health Insurance can rack up huge prescription bills. There are drugs out there that cost anywhere between $10 and $100 PER PILL.

I worked in the Health Insurance field for a time, I know of what I speak.

The difference between pharmaceuticals and MMJ is that Pharmas are covered by insurance and MMJ is not.[/quote]

Well I kinda said that I'm not 100% on the prescription prices.

I just don't see marijuana as a reasonable form of medication.

4. My neighbour spends 400 euros a month on weed when he isn't growing it himself.

5. I almost started growing here in Canada for patients but was told the company finding me legit card holders that I don't set the price I arrange one with the patients to work with what they can afford its a good system but I see growers selling ounces here to card holders for $30/ounce

6. [quote name='"markhener"']I almost started growing here in Canada for patients but was told the company finding me legit card holders that I don't set the price I arrange one with the patients to work with what they can afford its a good system but I see growers selling ounces here to card holders for $30/ounce[/quote]

Well this isn't Canada, and buying from the grower is different. Most people just go to a dispensary

7. Grow.Your. Own.

..and be free!

8. You make a LOOOOOOT of ASSumptions. You know, you just may not be accurate here. There's a SHITLOAD of patients who grow their own. If you're not a patient, how would you know?

There are also plenty of patients who get low-cost of free meds from growers directly.

Again, you don't have a frame of reference, you're just spit-balling on a subject you know very little about.

9. [quote name='"Smokey_mctoke"']Grow.Your. Own.

..and be free![/quote]

Most people aren't going to bother growing. Not to mention that that takes like 4 months..I'm just being realistic.

I'm talking about the old lady that can barely walk, not the college kid that lied to get his medical card

10. She would get reduced or free meds from every single MMJ Club I've ever been to. The high prices that we who can afford to pay help subsidize patients who can't afford it.

11. [quote name='"WildWill"']

She would get reduced or free meds from every single MMJ Club I've ever been to. The high prices that we who can afford to pay help subsidize patients who can't afford it.[/quote]

I guess if I had that information before I wouldn't have made this thread :p

/thread

12. I'm sorry, but I am going to quote you on that. This was before we tried MMJ. Before my wife's insurance kicked in, we would have to spend over a thousand dollars a month on my medications. I have an extremely rare condition and most of the medication I tried before MMJ cannot come in generic form, as such the companies can charge whatever they want. And as somebody who can't live without the medications, we were stuck. MMJ, although expensive in itself, has taken the place of many of my other medications, which are more risky and harmful anyways.

It might be expensive, but it's better than the alternative, at least for me.

13. people build tolerances to prescription drugs too...

14. setting up a grow(medical is onmost always grown indoors) cost thousands...now if you just grow a couple plants in your back yard then its way cheaper but you are still going to have to spend money maintaining the plants

15. Is this due to the financial cost you see of a patient who uses cannabis on a daily basis?

Consider this. At one point (less than a year and a half ago) docs and those who thought they were had me on over 15 separate medications at one time. I have good drug coverage through my insurance plan. However copay's always apply, and average $10-$20 each prescription. Monthly, I would spend $250 or more. Sure prescriptions were mostly covered, but those damned co-pays.

I have read that an average medical user can expect an ounce of cannabis to last about a month. Now, in this situation, slightly more is being spend on cannabis than pharmaceuticals. However, taking so many meds at once is hell on a body and mind. Not only does each med have its own side effects, when you combine many different classes of drugs-the side effects multiply. There have been very scary times that had required a hospital visit due to medication interaction. Add $2k-$3k minimum there.

After making a decision to give the finger to the big pharm, I halted all medications except for one. Still side effects, but extremely minimal compared to what it used to be.

And in the end, I am consoled by the fact that a once high liver count is now low again.

I am curious, however. Are you suggesting that a plant that has been used for over 5000 years for its medical properties is not, in fact, actually medicinal?

16. [quote name='"anonymous157"']
    I am curious, however. Are you suggesting that a plant that has been used for over 5000 years for its medical properties is not, in fact, actually medicinal?[/quote]

No, that's not what I'm saying at wll. I'm just saying I see the chance that there is someone who has a serious disease with a low budget who can't afford cannabis so he has to take the pills his insurance covers. I find MMJ to be great for some, but it kind of screws others.

But, I live in Virginia, so I'm just talking from what I know, not what I have saw/experienced

17. If weed was legal in Canada you would get HUGE discounts since it would be classified as medicine. I get about a 80% discount on all medication the doctor prescribes :)

18. maybe im wrong though since the pharmaceutical companies wouldnt be supplying it?

19. grown your own /thread

20. ^
    it will be awesome when the time comes for doctors to say as you are leaving their office...I have no pills to subscribe, just go and grow your own medicine in the dirt under the sun. Until you get your grow established you will need a supplier..