The Politics of Climate Change...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Projection much?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. "the inventor of the internet" :laughing:. he's a duplicitous douche imo. fuck al gore :laughing:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Coming soon to a theater near you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yup. I find it funny how people are championing the demise of the oil companies like everything will be rosy when everything's electronic.

I'm just sitting here thinking, we're just trading an oil monopoly for a power generation monopoly. They'll tighten the screws just like big oil does. Has everyone forgotten Enron already? We're damned either way.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Not really.

I don't give a damn about Al Gore.

The Laws of Physics do not give a damn about people.

6. Thats kinda what I expected. A sitka spuce lives up to 700 years. I am sure you have grown several to maturity to see how they actually do. They are North American coastal trees with shallow roots, when they get about 200 ft tall and the wind knocks them all over in Scortland I guess you will be dead and gone by then, so who cares right? In reality you aren't planting trees, you are leaving trash for the next generation to clean up.

I don't own a pool I am house sitting for a friend. My hick county is one of the big drainages that feed the Snake and Coulubia rivers. My hick county is more imortant ecologically than all of Scotland.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Same with my area. We are the headwaters of the Missouri River. I’ve personally cut down thousands of trees. Damn things are like weeds.

I wonder how many gallons of diesel it takes to plant a tree when Mother Nature does it for free?
    RD

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not quite. I'll see out one rotation of what I'm getting in the ground just now, two if I'm lucky (unlucky). 30-40 year rotations of Sitka here, as would be expected from a crop in order to maximise sawlog material while minimising negative impacts to the crop. No terminal heights of 200 ft / 60m will be being reached on those sorts of rotations.

The wind is definitely a factor though, yep. And you'll never guess what... Due to, yep, climate change, our winds are becoming more severe and more unpredictable, culminating most recently in a trifecta of 100mph+ storms over November 21 - February 22, that done some serious damage and we're all still picking through and tidying up now.

It was actually the two generations before mine that have left all the shit (bastards), of which we're currently navigating. But I don't blame them, didn't know any better and we needed trees in the ground (as we still do to this day). That's the reality of being a small island on the western fringe of Europe, yet being subject to successive invasions over millennia, being the homeland of a global empire and being fresh out of two World Wars. All the resources are used up quick sharp, of which wood is most key.

But don't get me wrong, reestablishing and buffering our native woodlands is just as important as securing and expanding our strategic timber reserves. And so, contemporary forestry is on it with restoring the Atlantic oakwoods, bringing back the montane scrub and birch treelines of the mountains, amongst all manner of other biodiversity-benefitting things (within the confines of corrupt and stifling landownership of course - which brings me back again to the economic systems we are currently beholden to...). So, rather than leaving trash, what we're aiming to do is clear up the trash, provide timber reserves and boost biodiversity. Not to be pious or the like, like.

You of course matey are on the other end of the scale, what with being surrounded by abundant old growth on the far coast of the new world, a giant continent at that. There's no apples to apples comparison to be made here... Protect what ya got!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Less than it takes to transport it on cargo ships halfway across the world, which is what predominantly happens in this country. Biggest global importer of timber products outside China. Crazy. Hence the need to exponentially boost our own timber reserves to become self-sufficient and limit our extraction of Scandinavian/Baltic/Canadian old growth.

10. Unsure what you'd expect considering population densities and landmass sizes? It's the same story across all of northwest Europe.

Not exactly the Bahamas is it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. #1872 gumbygrow, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
    It is sad you have to choose between agriculture and lumber products for the acrage you have. I can see why globalization appeals to you so much, it is almost like your life depends on it.

I hope your reforestation projects work out well. It is hard to see 100 years into the future.

I am lucky where I live, aside from many decisions being made on the other side of the state by people in metropolitan areas that are clueless about rural life.

ATM I am trying to save a seedling that my friend left in a thin quart nursery pot sitting in the sun while it is over 100 degrees f. 90 degree root balls are not what plants crave. I could blame it on climate change I suppose, but these temps have been this way this time of year for hundreds of years. I instead blame gravity change and it's effects on the human mind. (Someday that will be a thing, and I will be on the ground floor.)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. @gumbygrow The gravity change gets stronger each year, our bodies can tell. I just went through a week of exceptionally heavy gravity. Could barely move, slept for 20+ hours 3 days straight. At one point I swear that I could feel my body sinking lower into the mattress. I thought it was the fever but now that I hear your Gravity theory my mind may be changed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Are you sure you’re not just abusing ketamine?

:poke:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. The way things are going many in Europe will likely be heating their homes with wood this winter.
    I would expect better. Any nation that cannot feed itself faces an existential threat far greater than climate change. It is the definition of unsustainable. Biting the hand that feeds you will not make things better.
    RD

• Agree Agree x 2

15. If it is a big meaty hand maybe it'll feed you for a bit

• Like Like x 1
  16. Temper your expectations with reality.

The UK hasn't been self-sufficient in food for hundreds of years! Fuck, back to the Norman Conquest even... :laughing: Climate change will / is bringing this into sharper focus, no doubt.

17. The future is friendly -

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1