The Politics of Climate Change...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Let’s all put our buzzwords away and have a reasonable discussion. The biggest political components of climate change are international economic competition, coastal elite posturing and green corporate greed.

In theory weaker nations need more powerful ones to be limited in their emissions so that they can be allowed to develop without drastically increasing emissions. However this is more about countries like China (who never planned on playing by the rules) taking advantage of countries like the US (who do) to get ahead.

Then you look at states like California with people trying to ban straws while their streets are littered with shit and used needles. Stars take private jets to retreats to discuss how the common man can reduce his carbon footprint so they can live it up without feeling as guilty.

Finally we have multiple alternative forms of energy that don’t seem to be more efficient than coal or nuclear power no matter how much money the government throws at them.

Now take into account that following the guidelines laid out in the Paris Agreement will have a statiscally insignificant effect on temperature and ask if it’s worth the tax money, your country’s economic status on the world stage, and being talked down to by people who don’t live in the real world to address something that has happened naturally forever.

The question is not does climate change exist, but how much of an impact are we really having and are there any steps we can take to address it if so that won’t take us all back to before the industrial revolution and that remains to be seen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. What happened to putting buzzwords away?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Sorry man lol

That’s the horse barn... I built it after work and weekends out of local rough cut (Hemlock) timbers - ten years ago. Took me darn near all summer due to time constraints.

Right down to the stained glass windows :)

6AACD71E-6D67-42AB-AB43-CCAC7D9FB724.jpeg

Our home is across the (dead end road) street.

I’ve told my wife tho that later we could sell the house and remodel the horse barn and be quite comfortable over there lol

J

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. You could make a very cozy cabin out of that horse barn, though, for sure, the surroundings make it extra much so. Gorgeous in the summer. Well done, for just a summer's work, by my understanding of it (I'm just an amateur carpenter). Are you a tradesman or artisan of some kind, or self-taught?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don't Lie Jerry
    We all know it's a She Shed
    Lovely Job, right down to the stained glass, love the hay door and hoist beam
    Where's the weather-vane?

• Like Like x 3
  6. I’ve been picked by away at an antique farmhouse across the street for 13 years now - it’s very old - well over 200 years but we aren’t 100% sure. I don’t want to derail the thread but could show you via PM if you wanted.

Have you seen the movie “The Money Pit” lol

Not a carpenter but have been in the commercial roofing business since I was 17 - so, what’s that - 12 years, right @STIGGY ?

Lol

Ugh - going on 33 years I guess. I do enjoy carpentry tho.

Sorry to get sidetracked OP.

J

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. I mean +10ft on the ground at once, not over the course of winter.

8. Nah, this subforum is tense enough as it is. With sincere apologies for clamping down on you in the other thread.

[​IMG]

This is my pride and joy - built by my grandfather after the nazis were kicked out, improved by my dad and uncles, now it's my responsibility and I love nothing more than building on it. The darker-red painted porch add-on you see is all me - as is the roof, which you can't see.

Screwin', nailin', poundin', layin'. -Roofing company slogan I saw on a guys t-shirt in San Francisco, CA.

To bring it back to the thread topic - here too, the weather has changed much, and drastically so, in a very short time. We've had an unreal heatwave here.

I don't know what to think - the science is not solid enough to be brazenly confident about whether or not this weather is natural, or if it's man-made. I suppose I lean in the favor of playing it safe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. It looks like many allow the politics of climate change to override any facts we may have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I doubt that many if any from either side have watched these videos debunking the "science" of the deniers of man made climate change. Also more videos at the post after this... i've watched some but not all of them... i currently have a stack of information that i could post but lacking time to do so... i also want to give the deniers time to state their case and let things settle down a bit first... lol
    posts 21 & 22

The Politics of Climate Change...

11. Not sure where this fits in but the climate change topic seems to have broadened a bit today so why not here? i like penguins, could watch them waddle for hours in their tuxedos... There is another photo at the link that is amazing imo.
    /////

The world's largest king penguin colony has collapsed, losing nearly 90 per cent of its population
    The cause of the population collapse remains a mystery, with scientists speculating that climate fluctuations or disease could be to blame

The biggest colony of king penguins on the planet has collapsed, with nearly 90 per cent of the population vanishing since the 1980s, ecologists said.

The colony was first discovered in the Sixties on Ile aux Cochons, also known as Pig Island, in the southern Indian Ocean, between Madagascar and Antarctica. At its peak it contained two million birds and 500,000 breeding pairs, but new satellite images have shown an empty landscape, in which 88 per cent of the colony appears to have vanished.

Although nobody has set foot on the island since 1982, photographs taken from a helicopter during a recent flyover show that there could be just 60,000 breeding pairs left, and scientists fear the decline will continue.

[​IMG]

The world's largest king penguin colony has collapsed, losing nearly 90 per cent of its population

12. Bio
    X
    The thing is - the Internet, TV and the Radio is full of SCIENCE from both sides -

“The Deniers” - eh - pretty funny any how. I’m not saying it is or it isn’t - because I’m not a scientist - and neither are you - and watching a handful of videos isn’t making either of us one.

I did notice that there wasn’t a response to the Los Angeles high heat days each year facts I posted tho - the temps have been up
    and down for the last hundred years -

Or the fact that the Earth was covered In oceans back in the day -

Or that the Earth was a tropical jungle at other times -

Or that Climate has been fluctuating and changing for so many millions of years -

The poor dinosaurs! Won’t someone PLEASE think of the dinosaurs?

Climate change? Did Mankind cause them to die off?

“Penguin Colony Collapsed” - when I was a kid it was the Bluebirds back in the later 60’s - this shit happens dude - species die off

Who knows. Not me -

Or you.

J

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. One thing about using the abundance of lake effect snow to counter climate change is that it is also a direct result of climate change. The condensation that forms lake effect snow comes from the Caribbean and South America. The temperatures during the winter in New England may not be too far above normal, or may even be below normal, but when you add warm moisture to cold air in the winter you get snow. There may not have been as much snow in the past as now because there was less moisture to dump. So people saying "Well we got 26 feet of snow last year, tough guy, how is that global WARMING?" Warmth means water in the air and water in the air in the winter is snow. Or rain. New York may be buried in 50 feet of snow if the conditions get bad enough for long enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Good points and why i ignore the chatter from natural gas futures bulls as i continue to short natural gas... they are always posting pics of snow when snow doesn't mean really cold temps.. snow is a sign of not so cold temps usually, doesn't mean a lot of natural gas will be burned... or that global warming isn't happening... ocean temps rising and rising levels more telling imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Try again and do some studying first.

What is lake-effect snow? | EarthSky.org

Lake effect snow happens when colder air, usually coming south from Canada moves over a Warner body of water.

Not from Caribbean or South America

Lol

J

16. I get about 3 or 4 articles on climate change daily by Email and rarely post them but this one stands out in a different way than most. Easy to relate to even for those who can't see the warming trend. There was also one about a new shipping route through an arctic channel without the use of ice breakers that were needed before which is another sign.
    /////

Climate Change Has Already Hit Home Prices, Led by Jersey Shore

Between 2005 and 2017, increased tidal flooding erased $14.1 billion in relative home values across eight states, according to research by First Street Foundation, a Brooklyn-based nonprofit that seeks to quantify the effects of climate change on coastal communities. The group found that 820,000 homes are now worth less than they would have been otherwise, including 75,000 homes in New York State and 15,000 in Connecticut.

** above was just a snip** article is very long with a map.
    Terms of Service Violation

17. Please do yourself a favor and actually read the science. Or if that’s too daunting of a task watch the yt videos by potholer54 who breaks down the science in a very accessible way. No climate scientists deny that the earth has experience climate change throughout its history. It’s actually a fundamental part of the climate models that underly the global warming theory. There are three or four major factors which are found to have a statistically significant impact on global temperature trends. These factors include greenhouse gas concentrations which increase temperature by absorbing uv radiation. Aerosol concentration which reflects uv radiation and cools temperature. Lastly solar output which is effected by both the orbit of the earth around the sun and variable solar output. Scientists have been able to craft a pretty excellent model taking all these factors into account that pretty nicely matches with historical data and correctly predicts modern trends. So in times in the past when we had very hot temperature it was due to factors like greenhouse gases and increased solar activity due to the wobble of the earth’s orbit around the sun. When people say things like while we had an ice age even though GHG’s were ten times higher than today they are either ignorant of these other major factors or being deceitful. During the various ice age periods we often had both much higher aerosol concentration and drastically reduced solar activity due to the orbit of earth being further from the sun. These other factors played a much larger role in the ice age and were able to counteract increased solar absorption from GHG’s.

Lastly, it’s global warming not los angels warming. If you look at global temperatures they are going up significantly. Solar output has actually gone down slightly since industrial revolution, aerosol concentration is slightly up, and the earth’s orbit around the sun has been relatively stable. The only factor left that can account for this increase in temperature is increase in CO2 because those other factors haven’t changed significantly and the way they have changed would actually lead to a slight decrease if they were driving the temperature change. If we werre around for another ten thousand years this would no longer be the case as the earth would experience another wobble in its orbit which will lead to drastic temperature increase regardless of how much CO2 there is. But because those other major factors are relatively stable in the time frame of the past 500 years as well as likely the next couple thousand CO2 and other GHG will be the main driver of climate change.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Idk how many times I have to explain the same basic shit in this thread before one of you “skeptics” actually reads it and attempts to grapple with it instead of continually strawmanning the science of climate change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thank God that you’re here to dumb it down for us poor ignorant souls.

Maybe if you spend all weekend doing the same on all the Stoner forums you can join - You!! can make a difference!!

or if that’s too daunting of a task

Well now! Thank God there’s smart fellows like you out there!

J

• Like Like x 1