The Politics of Climate Change...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 16, 2018.

• Like Like x 1
  1. Did you miss the sarcasm?

2. I saw it on the lady's face when she responded.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah, they were both being sarcastic. It must be hard to change the moon's orbit.

4. I was kinda making a joke - but only a little as we are so dependent on it.

In my opinion theyll (the kids; the younger generations) just need to keep working on making “plastics” out of plant based recipes. I have zero doubt we’ll get there. We already are in some markets.

We dont need to get rid of plastics - we just need to make it sustainable and biodegradable.

j

5. Sounds like putting a bandaid on a laceration.

It's easy to say we just need to keep working on it, but when we've got elected jokers like the above doing everything in their power to maintain the status quo, sarcastically or otherwise, then its a case of pissing into the wind.

6. “When we’ve got elected jokers like the above”

We? I’m not following you. Have you gained American citizenship recently?

Dude - those morons are just that - and have nothing to do with alternative plastics manufacturers doing what they do.

Sounds like putting a bandaid on a laceration.”

Yeah - I have no idea what that even means

Investors are pouring billions into the alternative plastics industry — and these companies are racing to deliver

“We”…

lol

j

7. So you’re able to misread an entire (well written if I do say so myself) paragraph in the other thread, but can somehow get angsty about a use of we’ve instead of you’ve? Talk about pedantry... :laughing: Cracks me up. I forgot how blustery you are when I engage with you here in the politics pit.

Anyway, it totally still stands. The stance this joker takes (pandering to the status quo to the detriment of progressive tech/the future) has knock-on effects for the climate in my part of the world, it’s a global issue, hence the use of we’ve. Furthermore, as an example, hemp is one of our best plastic-alternatives, and my spidey-senses are telling me this Texas GOP dinosaur ain’t about that life.

8. Yep - sucks about the states that are behind in the times compared to the bulk of us states that have been or are becoming totally legal regarding recreational cannabis and are growing massive hemp farms.

Scotland must be recreational by now and making various products from hemp and working on things like plastics derived from hemp?

j

9. So you're following me now?

Not recreational here in Alba, not legal. It isn't a devolved matter and as such, we're stuck with whatever the legislation is that comes out of the UK parliament - which is currently a conservative, authoritarian, backwards view of illegality and punishment, despite several high ranking police chiefs and councillors stating that they don't have the resources or willpower to prosecute recreational users or homegrowers. The ruling coalition in Scotland (our parliament is designed to ensure outright majorities are very hard to achieve and coalition agreements are the norm, so to better represent wider cross-sections of society, unlike the UK parliament) are both pro-decriminalisation, especially the Green Party, and so with independence there will be a movement to align with more progressive policies around cannabis, surely. Unfortunately, we're beholden to Little Englander mentality currently.

And then for the hypocrisy... England is actually one of the world's largest producers and exporters of both medicinal cannabis (tinctures and such) and hemp, for export to Canada and legal US States mainly. And the woman who is the drugs minister of the UK has publicly stated on several conditions that cannabis should not be legalised or regulated under any circumstances, however her husband is a managing director and major shareholder in those very same 'legal' medical cannabis and hemp companies. Due to such conflicts of interest she has had to refrain from speaking on "certain aspects of her drugs brief", but with no other recourse. Of course...

And so, the young inner city youth who gets busted with a gram and a scale goes to the jail yard for a decade stint, while the managing director of the 'legal' cannabis company gets another fat paycheck bonus to squirrel away offshore in some tax haven and to invest in some shady hedge fund who fund fossil fuel expansion, the same fossil fuel companies whom then pay into the pocket of that Texas GOP senator to say nonsense, in order to dilute the seriousness of the issue and eek out whatever profits and advantages are there to be eek'd.

Are you following me now? It's an inter-connected problem of fuckery and injustice that we're all having to deal with in order to establish morality, sanity and continuity for the present and future. The growing up of a species, but on a knife edge.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Why on earth would you think I would be following you?

My whole point of the last couple day’s conversations is your own hypocrisy - Where your country isn't even vaguely close to mine in terms of cannabis legalization yet you feel the need to try and shit on our idiot politicians when your own are just as bad.
    You bring up our ghettos when you absolutely have your own.
    You bring up our judicial system and knock it about when you’re sending kids to prison for a gram of herb.
    You say stuff like “hemp is one of our best plastic-alternatives, and my spidey-senses are telling me this Texas GOP dinosaur ain’t about that life.” when we have a list of US companies working on hemp plastic and you have none.

Listening to anyone shitting on my country when their own comparable issues in their own countries fall into the same category is old and tired so expect me to call you out on it every chance I get.

Its just the way it is.

j

• Like Like x 4
  11. Well I laid it out pretty elementarily, not particularly difficult to follow. Furthermore, we're having a discussion here in a politics sub forum, following what the person you're having a discussion with is saying is pretty important to be able to have said discussion. Basic adult stuff really. I've not dipped my head in here in awhile and it seems I did forget that, for folks such as yourself, it's not about having a mature discussion about politics, rather its about being defensive and reactive, nitpicking the other persons posts and construing language in a certain way in order to "win". That's how it seems to me a lot of the time anyway. Just a microcosm of the wider political attitudes currently in society really. Pity.

Its just the way it is, aye, and outsiders critiquing America's (or any other nation's) policies, society or culture just is the way it is also. You need a thicker skin matey if posts such as mine irk you so much, which seems to be that they do considering your reactions, going on years now... There's never actually discussion of the points I raise, just deflection. "Ra ra, you can't say that, you don't live here!", "My country's better than your country!", blah blah. Playground stuff isn't it.

Anyway, you've totally missed everything I was saying in the previous post, as it seems you were too eager to score some points. You definitely weren't following, do try to follow this time if you can...

I'm unsure how cannabis legalisation ties in with my hypocrisy in regards labelling a corrupt GOP politician a joker because he was asking if the forest service could change the orbit of some celestial bodies. Weird one. Yeah we got some shit politicians here for sure (none that would suggest such idiocy though I reckon), par for the course in politics really, although saying that, the politicians in parliament in Scotland are generally tending towards ok/decent -> really quite good (the opposition parties in Scotland and the UK's politics as a whole are a lost cause). We do have some really deprived areas here, some of the poorest in western Europe actually, however that's something that Scottish government have been trying to change since devolution was achieved in 2000, but they've been totally hamstrung by the UK government. For example; there has been a recent movement towards opening drug rooms in Glasgow in order to deal with a heroin epidemic in the city (aka providing a safe place off the streets with clean needles for people to shoot up in) and the backing was there from the city council, from the populace and from Scot Gov. But then Westminster says no way, we're keeping it as a criminal problem not a health problem, case closed. And so the door was shut on the initiative (although certain councillors did continue to run the practice and I think lost their jobs for doing so). So what I'm trying to illustrate here is that, across many many aspects of society, we're trying to do things different here but are unable to due to overarching political structures that won't be changed until we become an independent nation, whereas looking at how some of the states in the US treat their deprived areas, it looks to me like similar initiatives are not happening enough over there. Initiatives that look to actually help people I mean, not make money off the back of their suffering. So, if you want to start having a go at me about Alba and her politics, you need to start reading and learning about the place, like I have done with America, and then you'll have a lot more credibility in what you're saying, rather than it just being some reactionary waffle that doesn't address anything, other than your bruised ego - because you find it heinous that someone who is knowledgeable about your society, but outwith it, has a point to make.

In regards the US judicial system, it is a bit of a mess - a conversation I'm willing to have elsewhere if you're intae it. My point about a kid being sent to jail for a bit of herb wouldn't happen up here, maybe for an unlucky poor black man in London, and more likely still for a similar demographic in parts of the US, but that was just an example I was using to make a point, not intended to be taken literally which would've been obvious if you weren't looking to point score. That's great that the US has many companies working towards plastic alternatives, hopefully it's a fruitful endeavour, however comparing what's happening in regards this in America (with a population of 330 million and the largest economy in the world) to Alba (with a population of 5.5 million) is moot.

I anticipate your reasoned and measured response.

P.s - "LOL! You're a riot dude." Doesn't count,.

12. #1153 DaPhats, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021

13. But you ARE a riot dude.

I’m always and forever open to intelligent productive banter and conversation. What I am not open to, and never will be is the ceaseless downtroddng of my country, and especially when you have many of the very same issues happening in your own country - but of course that never comes up - just more and more negativity about mine.

I was the first one to agree what an asshat the politician is that suggested we come up with a way to change the moons orbit - and could care less what party they belong to. Morons are morons.
    You talk about our elected jokers that aren’t doing anything about moving forward with plastic alternatives - of course we do; theres hundreds of them and the majority of them are complete and utter idiots but so what? We still have many companies here that are working towards tge better good and experimenting with various hemp formulas to replace fossil fuel based plastics.

How many companies in Scotland doing the same?

You bring up the moon orbit moron and say that guys like him aren't doing anything towards bettering the plastics industry or cannabis/hemp. So what? Theres always going to be asshats like that and especially as long as we maintain tge stupid ass 2 party Republican/Democratic system. In the meantime though, we have many, many states that are completely legal regarding Cannabis. I can grow my own, carry it in my car. I can go to the store and buy it.

Can you? No fucking way yet you still figure you’ll spew your negativity about my country when you’ve got your own fair share of idiotic politicians blocking your rights to grow and carry and walk into a store and buy cannabis.

Of course we have our issues here. Its a big place with a broken political system.

But every single time I see you in here in the Politics subforum you are shitting on the United States - MY country. I live in a beautiful place - we love it here. When I see someone who has the same issues but decides to constantly be negative about my home you can bet your ass I’m gonna pipe up and could care less whether it bothers you or not.

Never positive - always negative about where I live. Always.

What do you expect? Put the shoe on the other foot. You wanna have meaningful conversation? Throw some positivity about my home instead of shitting in it every chance you get. Otherwise this will never change.

j

14. This reads like some whiny bullshit jerry.

Perhaps some introspection is needed in regards your conditioning, because it seems like you have an issue with equating negativity as an attack. Which is not the case. Rather, my negative perception of much of American politics (key word here), is providing opportunities for reflection from an external source which may (or may not) be beneficial for those living under such a society . A different perspective, nothing more, nothing less, but still equally as valid.

I've never insulted your country, by calling it a shithole country or something (unlike a former US president), but I do offer constructive criticism as evidenced in my postings on that joker GOP shill and in the white privilege thread and throughout a decade plus of posting here. Moreover, I do ask probing questions to American Blades in this subforum (which is like 95% of the posters - so of course America is the main topic of the day) in order to perhaps get posters to question their own ideals, as well as mine. Again, totally valid, negative or otherwise. You're mistaking my critiques as bashing, due to your own personal worldview and/or biases/complexes. That's on you matey.

All my negative views/constructive criticisms on American politics are legitimate and well informed.

Finally, you think that I don't know that if you exclude politics from the equation, much of America is a fucking bad ass place to be? What with the culture fusions, the hospitality, the diversity, the music the vastness, the glut of natural resources and National Parks (founded by a Scotsman btw) and yes, the legal herb. Alas, we're talking politics here, so engage with the constructive criticism rather than getting irate about it all, that way we both may learn something rather than going round in circles chatting shit.

To end on a lighter note and to return this thread to it's intention, I'll leave this clip which sums up a lot of what America at it's contemporary zenith is to my outsider mind.

15. A neat article regarding the charging of electric vehicles. Today, the bulk of electric cars are obligated to find a charging station, whether it be at home or a remote charging station and physically plug a thick wire with receiver end into the vehicle.

Wireless charging is the way to go. Just like the newer iPhones can charge wirelessly, so should electric cars and fleets. They say the initial installation is cheaper and far more efficient than the now outdated cord/plug method,

It’s time to cut the cord on electric vehicles | Opinion

16. Timelapse of US drought from August 1999 to June 2021

• Like Like x 1

17. whether it's a "natural evolution" or man-made is irrelevant at this point. the drought is real and that should be concerning to everyone in the US as this ongoing situation will definitely impact america's food supply.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. That's not a fun temperature.

I spent around a month in 45 celsius temps in Varanasi, living in a monkey-riddled squat on the banks of Ganges. During the day, there was nothin' else for it other than to smoke chillums, lie naked on the bed and hope the breeze of the ventilator on the roof would give some sort of respite, all the while listening to the mantras being sung and smelling the body's burning from the pyres on the ghats. The heat of that time has always stuck with me.

We all better get used to it becoming the norm and start adapting as best we can, it's only going to ramp up from here...

• Like Like x 2