The Politics of Climate Change...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 16, 2018.

1. I'm all for renewable energy and resources. I think we'll get there one day but the transition is gonna be a lot longer than people think. Practically speaking, how do you replace 97 million barrels of oil per DAY?

Cars are the easiest thing to transition since the world already has a delivery system to recharge them but we simply don't have alternatives for large scale transportation like flying and shipping. The transition will be many, many decades.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

2. skirmishes and wars will be fought over rare earth ore. governments will be toppled and news ones put in place. the "semiconductor wars" are soon to start.

• Like Like x 3
  3. According to the article above which was worth checking out, they’re beginning to make the batteries from different base materials.

I still don’t believe it’s going to be as quick as everyone is thinking that it will be. Not by a long shot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The future will lie with Hydrogen Fuel cells. I think the Automotive industry is planning for this right now. Even though manufacturers are switching to battery powered cars at the moment, it will be a more seemless transition when the hydrogen fuel cells replace batteries in electric cars.
    I believe there is currently only one production hydrogen fuel cell car for sale in Europe. I bet in 5 years they will make up the lions share of the market.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 3
  5. has anyone seen the California drought pictures :eek2:! 41 of 58 counties 37 million people. not saying its "climate change" produced but whatever is causing the drought those people - and our grocery shelves - are going to be in a world of hurt.

this is an example of dozens of resovoirs.

San Gabriel resovoir

5464.jpg

Lake Mendocino

4500.jpg

Lake Oriville

5472.jpg

Folsom Lake

4453.jpg

not looking good for cali - or the produce isle $$$kaching!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Excellent article on California droughts in history.

California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say

California drought: Past dry periods have lasted more than 200 years, scientists say – The Mercury News

• Like Like x 2

7. understood. like i said previously, not attributing CA's water woes with climate change, rather, suggesting fresh produce will be further impacted (availability and cost) and not solely as a result of run away "covid stimulus" inflation.

CA sucks man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bummer. All Michigan needs is a little warming...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lotta beautiful places there though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. #1131 Serapsis, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021

You don't replace oil, its in practically everything and used in manufacturing everything. - and we're well past "Peak Oil" . Maybe Hemp Oil would supplement. Peak oil - Wikipedia. You can make cars that don't burn fossil fuels, but their chassis, body, everything attached has petrol involved in production or an ingredient. And well... with the way they pump out new models every year by the thousands and even repairing vehicles... Yeesh, 7 gallons of oil in each standard tire.

Great Watch:

Full:

Screenshot_2021-06-03 hemp uses at DuckDuckGo.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. “Only a crisis - actual or perceived - produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes the politically inevitable.” ― Milton Friedman

12. yeah, I was only talking about it as a fuel source in my example. There's no way we can get rid of plastics. They use 8-10% of world wide oil. You'll never completely eliminate oil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Can the Bureau of Land Management or the National Forest System change the orbit of the moon?

:lmafoe:

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. And these clowns are voted public servants right?

Good lord!

j

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. I friggin’ love plastic lol

Can you imagine a world without plastic?

Its easy if you try.

No baggies? Milk jugs? Containers in general? Trash barrels?

so much.

j

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. As per the Wikipedia link you posted:

" It is often confused with oil depletion; however, whereas depletion refers to a period of falling reserves and supply, peak oil refers to the point of maximum production."

We will never see oil depletion in our lifetime. I live on an oil patch we are sitting on a minimum of 100 years worth of bitumen at current extraction levels and they can calculate that with a great amount of accuracy. 100 years is a long time, If we haven't killed ourselves by then we will have developed technologies that render fossil fuels obsolete. Pretty sure humanity or some artificial intelligence will have cracked the free energy code by then and figured out how synthesize plastic alternatives without the need for petroleum extraction. Currently they say we will hit peak oil or the rate of maximum production by 2030-2040 at which point it is assumed that through technological advancements we will begin to slow down our use. That's not to say we don't have to worry about global warming or acid acidification and all that, just that we'll never be living in a Mad Max type scenario where oil is a precious commodity.

Currently sitting at around 1.7 trillion barrels of proven reserves globally.
    Oil Reserves

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Isn’t that probable cause for a drug test?
    Cheers
    Os

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nah... No way someone who has schemed themselves so far up the chain in the dirty game of politics can be so stupid.

More like he's sticking two fingers up to the US Forest Service, BLM, the current populace, future generations, and even the entirety of climate change. He's made his and so fuck everyone else. Lets salt the earth even more in the name of not being inconvenienced. That's orders of magnitude worse than being a fucking idiot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Imagining a world without plastic is a key challenge of the youth and incoming generations, largely due to too many "friggin' loving plastic" and developing nations having no clue how to deal with it.

This sentiment of being beholden to plastic (and the status quo) offers fertile ground for the ushering in of authoritarian governments, as when we fail to meet all the proposed climate targets in the coming decades and shit starts to seriously hit the fan, drastic action will need to be taken as a means of survivability. Rather than taking action in a timely manner and reducing our consumption and excess standard of living, we've lagged due to complacency and greed, and thus, yes sir, no sir, can I have a penny more sir becomes the order of the day.

Pretty much everyone's complicit due to societal structure, no doubt, to greater and lesser degrees, but to continue to actively court such societal structure while being aware of the detriments can be construed as being a big factor as to why things are going to continue going down the shitter.

Go scoop some plastic outta the oceans, that'll last a day or two.