The Politics of Climate Change...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Texas.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. I want to know where the heck they're gonna find all the lithium for this stuff. Electric's have something like 2.5% of the market. That means lithium production need to be 40 times bigger.

• Like Like x 2
  3. A most excellent plan imo.

j

4. Tesla Model 3 becomes more popular as NYC yellow cab - Electrek

As we previously reported, Tesla’s vehicles are becoming particularly popular with taxis in Europe, including in markets like the Netherlands, where a fleet of over 100 Tesla vehicles has been operating as taxis out of the Amsterdam airport since back in 2014.

In North America, electric vehicles haven’t been as popular for use as taxis, but it is catching up.

Owner-drivers and fleet operators are starting to see how much more money they can make with the difference in cost of ownership after fuel and maintenance savings.

--

The change is irreversible. In about five years, you're not going to be able to find an new ICE car.

5. Five years?

Thats not very far away. Seems wishful.

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Many car makers are commiting to go fully electric by 2025-26. Maybe ten years, either way it's inevitable at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  7. U.S., China Agree To Cooperate On Climate Crisis With Urgency

The agreement was reached by U.S. special envoy for climate John Kerry and his Chinese counterpart Xie Zhenhua during two days of talks in Shanghai last week, according to a joint statement.

The two countries "are committed to cooperating with each other and with other countries to tackle the climate crisis, which must be addressed with the seriousness and urgency that it demands," the statement said.

8. Is this the same John Kerry and President Joe Biden that are high-fiving Japan to dump highly irradiated water from Fukushima over the next two years?

Unrelated but I don’t trust any of them.

Still - it would be nice to see China start making at least some kind of an effort. Theyre pretty horrible at anything Earth-friendly.

j

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Definitely not the same. I have no idea who those people are.

• Like Like x 1
  10. remember when gas station drive-off’s were a thing? now that EV’s are gaining more numbers i guess we’ll see more electricity theft :laughing:

i was just cruising through the parking lot and saw this haha. dude ran out of juice and just plugged into the first outlet available. “any port in a storm”

868F3F5B-A78C-4843-BEA2-C0F6DC05709D.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. I'd give odds he works there. Looks like two specialized outlets..

12. Yeah. It looks like he's stealing electricity from the owners.

13. Doesn't look like the area was designed to charge vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. like a 5 or 6 yo you can usually expect to hear the honest, candid truth. with Uncle Joe and his gaffes we can generally expect the same when he's speaking from his mind instead of from a teleprompter.

"This is what he said, according to a New York Times transcript of the president’s remarks: "The United States accounts, as all of you know, for less than 15 percent of carbon emissions. The rest of the world accounts for 85 percent. That’s why I kept my commitment to rejoin the Paris Accord, because if we do everything perfectly, it’s not going to matter." (their emphasis not mine)

Liz Peek: Joe Biden, after 100 days, finally talks truth -- cutting US carbon emissions won't matter

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. I want to know where all the energy is going to come from to operate this entire country once fossil fuels are put aside.

276 Million vehicles? 140 Million homes? 33 Million businesses. 215 thousand planes.

Electric planes?

Should be interesting.

j

• Like Like x 1
  16. Don't be fooled by fossil fuel prducers' claims.

According to https://phys.org/news/2011-10-vast-amounts-solar-energy-earth.html
    "A total of 173,000 terawatts (trillions of watts) of solar energy strikes the Earth continuously. That’s more than 10,000 times the world’s total energy use. And that energy is completely renewable"

Of course not all this energy is usable for at least two reasons.
    It is spread out over the whole earth, including oceans and deserts.
    Converting sunlight into stored, usable energy is inefficient, about 10% or so.

Not only do fossil fuels cause climate disruption, but protecting middle east oil supplies has caused wars and violence.

Converting from dirty fossil fuels to clean renewable energy will create millions of new jobs, and greatly increase the wealth of the world, as more and more people are able to accomplish things that only energy allows.

The oil companies don't like this, so they try to mislead by saying things like "job killing renewable energy."
    They're right about oil company jobs, but those lost jobs will be swamped by new renewable energy jobs.

This is a no-brainer.

• Funny Funny x 1

17. do you think the oil companies are sitting on alternative energy sources and holding out so they can continue to reap billions and trillions? with the collective brain power in the world is there any possibility that energy technology can be suppressed? at CERN the science people are splitting photons of different elements! if there were plausible energy alternatives to oil up to and including all of history and today the word would have gotten out.

my only real points are: today there is no reasonable alternative to oil, and smart people are really, really trying to find alternatives. the global petroleum need is not a big conspiracy of the oil companies, it's just reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. You figure jet airliners are going to run on batteries?

All homes will be heated with batteries?

Heavy equipment?

Certainly not in my lifetime.

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. When battery technology improves enough, as it certainly will, it will allow heating of homes and the flying of planes.
    Comparing today's batteries with the batteries of 20 years from now will be like comparing the telegraph with the internet.
    This could happen much faster.

Gasoline/jet fuel are energy storage systems that use chemical storage.

From The Back Page.
    "A lithium-ion battery pack has about 0.3 MJ/kg and about 0.4 MJ/liter (Chevy VOLT). Gasoline thus has about 100 times the energy density of a lithium-ion battery. This difference in energy density is partially mitigated by the very high efficiency of an electric motor in converting energy stored in the battery to making the car move: it is typically 60-80 percent efficient. The efficiency of an internal combustion engine in converting the energy stored in gasoline to making the car move is typically 15 percent (EPA 2012). With the ratio about 5, a battery with an energy storage density 1/5 of that of gasoline would have the same range as a gasoline-powered car. We are not even close to this at present."

So gasoline has about 100 times the storage capacity of lithium battery, but is only about 1/5 as efficient at converting to car energy.
    In other words, lithium batteries are about 1/20 as efficient at the combined tasks of storage and car propelling.

See Future batteries, coming soon: Charge in seconds, last months and power over the air.
    for some battery optimism.