The Politics of Climate Change...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Also farmed fish sucks dick when it comes to omega oils.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. [​IMG]

every day of the week baby

lemon flavor makes it happen

3. So you think it has nothing to do with less to catch and deep sea trawlers combined. Interesting...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not much for fish farms on the west coast that I know of. I believe the Canadians do some fish farming in more of a protected inside passage areas. The weather is to brutal on the west coast of america for fish farming.imo

We do have salmon fish hatcheries up the rivers away from the Ocean though. I believe Europe has had developed fisheries for a very long time before regulations came into play and were suffering from over fishing, but here in america regulations at a federal level started in the 1980s . Fish quotas have been increasing for the trawlers because of the regulations and enough time has gone by for fish populations to come back.

I remember back in the 70s and part of the 80s I would have a Russian factory trawler on both sides of me while I was shrimping and other foreign ships fishing with in 12 miles of our shoreline. Then I believe Reagan did the 200 mile economic zone thingy that got rid of the foreigners.

In the summer months we share our ocean with the canadians for tuna season, and that would be the only foreign fishers that I know of at this time.

5. May be more than one take on it. Industrial fishing has done a lot with the natural state of the ocean in Europe, thats for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sticky, You do realize that NOAA got busted for lying about sea temps not long ago. The west coast head quarters for NOAA is not far from my boat and have become an embarrassment to many locals because of there willingness to be liars for political reasons. Very untrustworthy... I like honest people..So they are not helping matters. I want them to be honest....period!
    Former NOAA Scientist Confirms Colleagues Manipulated Climate Records

7. Except that the data manipulation didn't actually happen...

No Data Manipulation at NOAA - FactCheck.org

Nothing False About Temperature Data - FactCheck.org

FACT CHECK: Were Scientists Caught Tampering with Raw Data to Exaggerate Sea Level Rise?

NOAA Scientists Falsely Accused of Manipulating Climate Change Data

Fox News host: Climate scientists 'fabricated' temperature data

8. Very passive aggressive this dude.

9. Why do think my comment was passive aggressive? What's interesting is that this is your industry but, you're only looking at one part of the problem and believing that's all there is to it.

10. Sticky, I appreciate your concern but I read the first link you posted and had to stop because they are full of shit.imo
    I am very familiar with sea temps on boats and buoys. And they can be different if the boat is warm but not moving though the water it could rise and the buoys can be heated from sun light and they don't move while anchored.

When I go tuna fishing I use satellite sea temp charts they are the most accurate with my experience. NOAA uses them too for all there sea temp charts ..fuck..they probably own the satellite. I only use the boat sea temp for a comparison with the satellite info.

I will post a link..I would trust the satellite info before I start manipulating boat and buoy info. The people are unaware of the difference between boat and buoy comparisons and there was no mention in your fact checker about the satellite info. So that would make your link worthless in my opinion.
    https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/contour/washngtn.c.gif

Sea Surface Temperature (SST) Contour Charts - Office of Satellite and Product Operations

• Like Like x 2
  11. What are your qualifications on the issue, outside of Google? Not that I'm invalidating Google searches, not at all, just, curious as to your motivations, given that the two fishermen dispute it

12. What are anyone's qualifications on this forum? Are we only to provide input if we work in any specific industry that a topic is about? IMO, no. How could that ever be productive?

I absolutely respect others' working experience. In my industry, you can never "know" everything and there will always be someone who knows more. The information available and the progress of advances increase exponentially each day. To me, it would be very unwise to think you know everything you need to know about any topic of any importance. If you're not constantly educating yourself about new data available then how could you possibly stay informed about anything?

My motivation is to help people find the information that allows them to make more informed opinions and decisions based on actual evidence rather than politically motivated hearsay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The link to the supposed data manipulation by the NOAA links to a web page operated by Lamar Smith, retiring Republican congressman representing the 21st congressional district of Texas.

The Union of Concerned Scientists
    point out that he misunderstands science, possibly because he does not follow, respect, or understand the scientific method.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Follow the money.

• Like Like x 1
  15. If we just followed the truth we wouldn't need to look at the money.imo

16. That's cool. I understand and I'm sure you know your work/industry/area very well. I'm not disputing that. I just don't get why you wouldn't trust fact check websites when they all are finding the same result about NOAA. To me, that's counterintuitive but, to each their own.

17. Well all I can say is that people that work at NOAA let their feelings get in the way of the truth I guess. If they wanted the correct sea temps they know how to get them instead of a boat and buoy problem. All they got to do is click on their own web site and get an instant correct sea temp any where on the planet from their satellite they have in the sky.

And I have no faith in fact checkers. If the fact checker would have used the NOAA sea temp chart they would have been able to check the facts. imo