The Politics of Climate Change...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by svedka, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Hey @Cactus Ed, was it you who is the fisherman on the Oregon coast?

2. That was me ..

3. I'm too intelligent to believe in global warming. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Other countries are reporting problems with their fishing industry. I was wondering what things you've noticed. Is it getting more difficult to catch a reasonable amount? Have you had to go deeper and more north? When did you notice the trend starting?

5. It keeps snowing so how could global warming be a legitimate concern?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. The fact is, access to fossil fuels has been the key driver of global economic success since the industrial age began. Cheap, plentiful fossil fuels during the last 175 years led to the greatest economic surge in human history. Carbon-based fuels moved literally billions of people around the world out of lives of grinding poverty and hard physical labor and into unparalleled wealth and comfort.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Can easy catch 100 mackerel a day where I live and then some.

Certain fish like Cod have been decimated, but this is by french and Spanish trawlers, not environmental factors.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Just curious, do you understand why and how we have seasons? Trends are also something you need to understand in order to answer your own question.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Don't believe everything you hear..but here on the Oregon coast....

I have been catching crab,shrimp and tuna for 40 years and the last twenty years have been my best productive years.

Through regulations in the dragging or trawling industry over the last thirty years the crabbing has only trended up. Mostly from moving the draggers out of the crab grounds. We only harvest the larger male crabs and throw the females and shorts back into the ocean. Which has been nothing but good for the crabs and sustainability .

The Shrimp fishery off the Oregon coast is the cleanest shrimp fleet in the world after years of experimentation with fish excluders and gear design changes. We have had million plus pound seasons for years now where prior to the turn of the century it was uncommon.

The tuna is a different deal. They migrate across the oceans with unregulated foreign destruction and market problems the USA has no control over. I have made good money tuna fishing but not often. I only make maybe two two week trips and go back to shrimping. I tuna fished for one month this last summer and grossed 96k and then the market went to shit and the fish were small.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mackeral probably have a wider variance in temperature they like. Cod and others have moved north and their habitat is disrupted from increasingly worse storm frequency and intensity. There's a ton of data available.

Cod and haddock go north due to warming UK seas, as foreign fish arrive

Increase in storms could have 'catastrophic impact' on fishing industry

11. Hey Mick, At what age does that higher education really start kicking ass? You know...Like the moment you thought you got your moneys worth? Or are you still paying..

12. Time to privatize the ocean

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. #213 MrRaider, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Uh you think the ocean is warming or surface?

14. We are not even close to over population. This world could handle double.

15. Going a little off topic here, but I thought this was fascinating, and the fishing industry is big in my country, so people talk about it.

One of the things that's been up top on our problem list for a long time has been overfishing. Fishing technology and methods have advanced so much so quick that we're fishing far over capacities. My dad is a marine biologist, he worked for a while with fish-farm tech - I dunno about over there, but over here we raise fish like cattle

[​IMG]

Is this discussed in the American fishing industry? Are you guys overfishing? Is the global climate change making your habitat more productive for the local wildlife, given that you're harvesting so much more? Do you have gripes about international fishing? Do foreign fishing fleets come and 'steal your fish'?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maybe he doesn't know that there's winter and summer, or

Maybe he was making a joke

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Privatizing the ocean and farming fish and sea life is the answer and will lead to abundance of fish.

18. The thing we've seen in Norway is that the competition of privatized fishing gives it a short-sighted slant, which dries up the ocean's reserves of fish. Gotta leave some boar in the woods to breed for next season's hunt.

That's why we have these fish farms - far more cost-demanding, delivering far less fish, with the benefit of guaranteed delivery and not taxing the ocean's reserves.

Your counter would be that the market would out of necessity invent more efficient farming methods, if the wildlife fishing reservoir were more threatened?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bollocks, it's the deep sea trawlers wiping them out. Doggers bank has been decimated by European super trawlers. Thats a fact.