The plight of a lonely stoner

Discussion in 'General' started by HighCollin, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Well, I just want to talk about this really, and if anyone has some advice for me, that's a nice bonus.

I'm a student at a pretty tough engineering school, and I am also pretty bad at talking to people, and making friends. Due to my social ineptitude, and the fact that there are a relatively tiny amount of stoners at this school, I don't have any friends who smoke.

Smoking alone isn't too bad for a while, but I;m getting sick of it. I really wish I had some friends to get high with nearby. I can't make the journey to the school all my stoner friends are at every damn weekend, since I don't have a car.

Another problem is hookups. The only connect I have nearby is a friend of my brother's. He's a cool guy, I trust him, and he has some pretty good weed. This guy isn't really a dealer though, he just has good hookups and sells a little bit. So he's not too reliable. In fact, I haven't been able to get a hold of him in several weeks.

I ran out of weed 2 nights ago, and figured I could just go without till the weekend, when I will take the bus / light rail into town and get some. Well, last night I had trouble getting to sleep, largely due to the stress of everything I'm telling you about in this post. Usually I'll just smoke a bowl and be able to get to sleep just fine... Oh, I also have 3 exams this week, so being tired all week is not gonna help my scores on those.

Well, I guess that's all I got. Thanks for reading, I hope you're doing better than I am.

2. True, only thing I can say, from exp. is no matter how much pot you smoke, dont forget to worry about your student loans... at the end of the year they tell you you didn't have enough money and not to come back next year....

When I was in school, there were 2 people in all my classes that I blazed with regularly. But you are in the best place to meet people, School. then work. Just, if you want to get to know someone go talk to them, ask them if they wanna blaze a joint with you after you talked to them for a few... Thats all I do, usually works.

GL on those exams man. Maybe.. go for a run or something before bed fresh air helps everyone sleep. But the Freshest air:bongin:puts everyone to sleep. :D

3. It's nothing gettin out and meeting some cool people won't fix. My way into the stoner crowd out at school was through smoke circles. Eventually that shit just comes up. If it doesn't...play it cool, make a reference or a joke about bud and see how it goes over. If you don't smoke you can still go to the spots on campus where people hang and just try to meet people.

It can be a little frightening, but that first step is the hardest one. Going out on your lonesome to meet new people is exciting though! You never know who you may get to know or what you'll learn. Think positive, everything may not fall into place the first attempt. But it's seriously easier than I thought it was going to be and I deemed myself socially inept. :p

4. What school?

You just have to look around.

For instance, I don't usually outwardly say that I am toker. I let people ask me, or... for example, I have marijuana related articles strewn around my room, such as posters, a funny air freshener... my bong is sitting out, lol.

Just invite people to your room, perhaps? Then let them draw their own conclusions. Or you could just straight up whip out the bong while they're there, saying you're gonna smoke and then you offer them some, out of courtesy.

I dunno man, uni is a good place to meet people. Most people probably don't even know who you are, so you could easily make yourself out to act differently if you wanted. I don't really condone changing just to impress, but if you feel that your current way of behaviour isn't helping your social life, then give it a try. No one will know the difference.

Besides, at this point in many people's lives (moving out, transition from high school to post-secondary), they should really be over these stupid cliques and groups and the high levels of conformity. I know I am; I do what I want, and if people like me for it, then fucking swell! If not, too bad... for them, that is. Unless I am behaving offensively or rudely to someone, then they have no reason to judge me negatively, when they barely know me.

Chin up, fella. Just take a few of my suggestions. Oh, and also, try and meet people in your classes, and if your school has extracurricular groups or associations, I recommend joining one or two of those that interest you, as people who share your interests will obviously be a part of those groups.

Peace, OP! :smoke:

5. Thanks guys. It's just hard to really meet smokers here though. Most potheads don't get grades good enought to get in here, and then most potheads who could get in choose not to because it's hard, and not really a weed friendly school.

Ah well, I think I just need to blaze up and I'll be fine, sobriety is fucking with my head... :p

6. I'm not sure how it is in the states but when I went to Uni I made friends with people local
    to the city as well as people in Uni. Tbh I feel you, my course was nails. I was in a pure and applied chemistry master course but it was in a big Uni. I didn't really have many friends in my course but knew more outside it. Not a possiblity for you?

If you're in first year remember you've not been there long! Now is the best time, other people (and no doubt stoners too) will be feeling the same as you, so chill, all will be cool.