Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

The Perfect Cannabutter. Yes, perfect.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by HerbItUp, Oct 13, 2010.

1. So, I've made butter a decent bit of times on many different stoves in many different kitchens. Sometimes following hashmouf's guide, other times following the guide found in the cannabis cookbook. Sometimes the butter worked wonders, putting me and my fellow tokers on the moon, others times ...nothing. The reason I'm thinking, is lack of temperature consistency between cooktops. Having worked in a kitchen since I was 15, so 6 years now, I know how important (more so in baking than cooking) precise measurements and ingredients are to the quality of the finished product.
    Every website / set of directions says "low-medium", "let it simmer but not burn" etc etc now, I want a temperature, because low on your stove may not be the same as mine.
    I know that at 220 F, delta 9 thc loses its carboxyl and becomes "active". So, I have a candy thermometer to use while making the butter, and I'm wondering, should I keep my stove around this temp while cooking the butter? Or am I getting the science part completely wrong?
    Any advice is appreciated. I dont need help with recipe / cooking, just the proper temperature. DO NOT SAY "LOW" "MEDIUM" "SIMMER" or anything similar in your post, as they are NOT temperatures.
    Thanks for your time!

2. The THC will deplete the longer it is heated. Better to start off low - when you cook with it you'll be heating it over 220 degrees anyway, which is where your 'activation' will happen. :smoke:

3. i spent a good 100 bucks of dank weed.

finally grinded in my coffee grinder and everything.

ate the whole batch of butter and no high maybe a placebo i dunno.

i will never again make edibles with good weed.

i dont wanna go through the tremendous effort to worry or wonder what if.

when theres a sure wonder way that works via lungs.

vape that shizzz

k end rant . gl with ur baking

4. I totally agree with you on the fact that the temp, amount of time cooked, and method used, all greatly affect your cannabutters final outcome. I usually just simmer the butter mixed with a little water and some vegetable oil for a few hours.

Although this past time I made cookies I tried a double boil, which is when you have one pot full of water, and a smaller one inside the bigger one, floating ontop of the boiling water, this creates a temp range that is sure to not burn your butter, and I found it actually seemed stronger than usual, but I also included some hash and kief in my recipe :D only thing is you have to keep adding more water, as the water in the pot will evaporate...

5. there isn't alot of space to stick the candy thermometer into the pot when making Cannabutter, I've noticed.

I usually do 1 1/2 sticks of butter with 1/4 to 1/2 an oz of weed and the weed seems to be taking up alot of space resulting in some very thick butter...

i also stop straining it after my 1st attempt and just dump everything into my batter mix, I use a coffee grinder and before they go into the coffee grinder, i break them down with my regular grinder to collect some kief before hand.

6. If you didn't get high, then you did it wrong.

All you said you did was spend $100 and grinded it really fine. There is a bit more to the process. What did you actually do with the grinded weed.

But yea, your choice on never making edibles, but just cause you did something wrong one time, does not mean you should never get to experience the wonderful world of edible highs. Just learn from your mistakes. Don't punish yourself just cause you fucked up. Learn from your mistakes.

7. Yea im making some cannabutter today, If it turns out to be good then yay. If not then I will die because i'll be out of weed again.

8. The heat does two things: decarboxylation and increases solubility. But if you heat the THC too long or at to high a temperature, the THC starts to break down. You need to keep that in mind for making the butter and include what happens to the butter after it's extracted the goodness from the pot.
    Here's a chart on decarboxylation I found on this site (I don't remember who posted it otherwise I would give credit). A lower temperature takes longer but the timing doesn't have to be as precise. A decarb for 20 mins at 220F before the pot ever comes in contact with the butter.
    As for solubility, I don't have any hard temperatures. If you don't get it hot enough or the time it too short, you won't extract all the goodness. If you heat it too long or too hot, you you will get nasty tasting compounds you don't want. If you heat it even more, the THC becomes a vapor and escapes or it starts to degrade. I hope this helps.

Attached Files: