The path to regs

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Backwoodsgreen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Who knows exactly what happens to a plant to make it produce that budget friendly lackluster regs? I was under the impression that a pollinated plant will pump out nothing but seeds whereas an untouched girl will pump out strictly buds... well where do those seedy regs fall into this spectrum? Thanks GC, wonderful community here!

2. reggie is caused by a number of factors. Quality-wise, you're looking at a low-budget grower who cuts corners, thus they charge less. Maybe that person grew a bunch of plants and never got rid of the males. Hermie plants are also a possibility (caused by a variety of factors, most likely light leaks during dark period). Plants will also tend to go hermaphrodite when in bad conditions, which makes sense if that person was low budget.

3. So your telling me that if there's no male influence at all(assuming you harvest properly) then you indefinatly get some good? So some bag seed from regs can grow up some nice smoke?

4. every seed has the ability to be dank, it's the grower that determines if it comes out as reggie. The only thing about bag seed is that you don't know if it's male or female, so you might spend all your hard earned time on a group of males. You can grow great bud with males present too. My first grow, I left 1 male and 1 female to get seeds for my next grow. Growing dank is a bit hard unless you have the proper equipment and it takes a lot of attention. My first grow, I ended up with about 2 oz of mids. My second grow, was 4 oz of dank because I got better lights.

5. So if lighting is sub par and there are no males present you can end up with some seedless regs?
    I'm geussing that the most important time for them to have quality light would be during flowering?

6. If there are no males present, the bud will grow sensimilla (meaning seedless). It will be more potent because it doesn't have to spend energy making seeds so it will divert that energy into THC production. By that point, it becomes either mids or dank. There is no best time for quality light, it has to be consistent throughout the entire grow. Pollenated females still produce buds, but the seeds are inside the buds. You can still smoke the buds and get high, but there will be lots of seeds inside, which is what you were originally posting about.

7. While the grower and the conditions can greatly affect the quality of the bud produced there are limits. Genetics play a large factor as well. You can take a seed from a bag of regs and give it the proper care and the best conditions possible and produce a bud that looks, tastes, smells better and is considerably stronger than the weed it came from but the genetic traits of the plant will determine what the maximum amount of THC/CBD the plants will produce. There's a reason people are willing to pay so much for seeds, which unless "feminized" are not pre determined to be male or female. There is no such thing as a male or female seed.

8. Way off topic here, but do you have any idea how they "femenise" the seeds? I'd imagine it's some comercial procedure that can't be done at home, but here's to hoping!

9. [quote name='"Backwoodsgreen"']Way off topic here, but do you have any idea how they "femenise" the seeds? I'd imagine it's some comercial procedure that can't be done at home, but here's to hoping![/quote]

There are several methods all can be done at home. Colloidal silver is one way. They spray a female bud as it begins to flower. This causes the plant to cease ethylene production which is required for female flowers and forces the female plant to grow pollen sacks. You can buy colloidal silver, or make it at home with about $10 in supplies plus some pure silver.

Rotelization, and hormone treatments are other ways.

10. I'm guessing they make it produce pollen sacks so it can pollinate itself but how does that make the seeds feminine?

11. [quote name='"overheatedmud"']

I'm guessing they make it produce pollen sacks so it can pollinate itself but how does that make the seeds feminine?[/quote]

Most often the pollen is collected to pollinate other females. It results in feminized seeds because even though the female is forced to grow male sacs the plant is still geneticly female. With the breeding taking place between two females there are no dominant male genes to pass on to seeds.

My understanding though, and some of the other guys may correct me, is that even a female plant carries some recessive male genetics. This can cause hermies or a very rare male seed. Good breeders should be able to stabilize a strain over a few generations to maintain desireable traits and limit phenotypes.

12. ^This.

^Not this. There's plenty of shitty genetics that can't grow into anything more than shitty plants.

Sorry, wrong. You don't know anything about a bagseed except 1) the bag it came from might be able to give you a general clue about the genetics, as in sativa or indica-dominant but not specific strain, and 2) the appearance of the seed can tell you if it is likely viable or not. You still don't know gender, strain, potency, or anything else about bagseed.

^Also not true. Pollinated plants yield less usable bud, and that potency can vary, but pollinated plants can be just as potent as unpollinated. In fact, you could make an argument that, gram for gram of smokable material, pollinated plants should be more potent, because the purpose of THC is to act as a sunscreen, in particular to protect the baby embryos (seeds) as they develop. So an unpollinated plant theoretically has less motivation to produce THC, not more.

Sinsemilla is preferred because you don't waste any volume of your bud on unsmokable seeds.

^Nope, gender is genetically pre-determined. There always is such a thing as a male or female seed. If not, the whole method of feminizing wouldn't work. You can't tell by looking at it, but each seed inside the DNA is already determined to be male or female.

13. Thanks for explaining that, that makes so much more sense now.