the past is malleable

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by iAM6, Jan 2, 2012.

1. or is the future foreseeable?

discuss

2. Our memory's are not definite or rather completely accurate because if we rely on our memory's then we rely on the things we have paid attention to in the past and we all know that we are all a little on the attention deficit side of things.

And about predicting the future, well I believe that it is not possible to predict because to predict something you have to be able to recognise the pattern that preceded the future event and that would be impossible as life is just too ... chaotic. There's too many variables and not even human behaviour can be predicted, not even by world class mentalist's - they just work on what they know and try to manipulate behaviour to make it seem like they had unknowable knowledge.

That may not be on tpic but it's just what I wanted to put on the table.

3. Prove that the concepts of the past and future exist, and if they do define them, and then we'll go from there.

4. :)

im having lower back problems id like to PM you if that's ok

5. Prove that the present exists and also yourself and then we can work on proving the existence of the past and future, some time in the future

6. now is the only thing that is happening....which is basically nothing

7. "I think, therefore I am"

I can only prove to myself that I exist; or at the very least I am under the illusion that that I exist. Regardless of whether it is an illusion or not, it is happening now. Assuming now exists, it would imply that there is an opposite reality of non-existence. If I am thinking or under the illusion of thinking, I cannot be in the state of non-existence. I can only exist in the now.

PM me!

8. [quote name='dariolovesdeb']"I think, therefore I am"

I can only prove to myself that I exist; or at the very least I am under the illusion that that I exist. Regardless of whether it is an illusion or not, it is happening now. Assuming now exists, it would imply that there is an opposite reality of non-existence. If I am thinking or under the illusion of thinking, I cannot be in the state of non-existence. I can only exist in the now.

So then this entire thread is pointless?

9. One thing you should know for certain, one of the fundamental laws of reality is, you exist. You always have, you always will, in one form or another. You cannot imagine non-existence. Non-existence is already full of all the things that do not exist, therefore if you can imagine it, it must already exist on some level.

You have no past - you merely create what you believe to be the memory of this idea in the present. The future can be whatever you imagine it to be, but to imagine something and hold onto it rigidly will always limit what that could actually be.

You see the physical mind is not designed to know what WILL happen, that is the mistake people make. Physical mind is designed to know what is HAPPENING. The higher mind deals with the bigger picture, and it takes its lead from what excites you, what inspires you. Whatever the physical mind can possibly imagine is only the beginning of what the higher mind can. That's why there's no need to worry about what will happen, and once you know that, you will allow the higher mind to bring you everything you could possibly want.