The past 2 days have been interesting regarding legalization...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Senior PoopiePants, Aug 9, 2013.

1. #1 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    Sanjay Gupta's article being plastered all over CNN and Yahoo!. Eric Holder talking about A CANNABIS REFORM in the next few years with the idea of the feds not going after the states themselves.
    I mean - it's everywhere on the news.

[​IMG]

Links, you want? Links you got!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health/gupta-changed-mind-marijuana/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tqg2y3yYR0

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2013/08/attorney-general-eric-holder-calls-major-sentencing-reform

[​IMG]

2. fuck yeah.

america will be reformed.

3. Dr. Gupta turned down Obama's offer to make him Surgeon General. This about-face endorsement is pretty hefty shot in the arm for medical marijuana, and probably recreational decriminalization as well.

4. wut? y would he do that? shit

5. Probably because he makes a lot more money as the chief medical correspondent on CNN.

6. #6 jay-bird, Aug 9, 2013
    What a fuckin little dick this guy is, then. This "Sanjay Gupta"

7. Can't really argue with that. Although he has changed his mind, this guys admitted that for years he has been against medical marijuana without having done any research himself. He just read the official government line and hasn't even thought to question it until recently. And now that he's changed his mind its supposed to be a big deal. Who does this "fucking little dick" think he is? 

8. its a step in the right direction, the more and more people become aware that its not bad, the better

9. I'm of the opinion that there's something missing from Gupta's story. This sudden about face didn't just come from nowhere. Ideas like his are usually borne out of necessity. Something has happened in his private life that has made him rethink his stance on medical marijuana. Someone close to him got sick or went to jail. Maybe we'll find out Sunday when his new documentary airs on CNN.

10. It isn't a "victory" for the people. The system knows the majority of people know weed is harmless and that it can be taxed, so it is becoming....."unpopular", to continue to suppress it. As a result, they are incrementally easing us into the legalization, however REGULATION process of marijuana. Large companies will still be taking control of the crop and producing it for large profits, as well as the industrial hemp crops that will be grown. This was an inevitable change, we must support DECRIMINALIZATION, not LEGALIZATION, and approach the claims of our representatives like Holder and Obama with GREAT caution, because to be honest, they just don't give a fuck about you or your right to get stoned, they wanna secure their financial overlords do not suffer as a result of this, while at the same time, pandering to popular opinion. 

11. #11 FALSE, Aug 9, 2013

I agree with this...

but why do you say decriminalization is better than legalization?  If it becomes totally legal it's going to be growing everywhere.  How would it be of any benefit to big corporate profits without some kind of Monsanto-esque juridical bribery and its somehow patented and monopolized...  I just don't see how decriminalization is much better than legalization.

12. You can always grow if you don't want to pay corporations to do it.  Legalization is still the best option.  Of course they'll regulate it, but it should be regulated.  Of course they'll tax it, and they should tax it.  Cannabis is no different than any other plant and should be treated as an intoxicant just as alcohol or tobacco.  And no, the big bad tobacco companies aren't adding in all kinds of radioactive shit to make nicotine more addictive that they'll also add to your weed.  That's a bunch of propaganda.  Basically, the only way I consider it a win is if I can legally grow cannabis and sell it for profit in my own backyard as a primary form of income, just like any other legal business.  As a stoner, not supporting legalization because of selfish greedy bastards who want to profit off of it is just as selfish of a move as you accuse the corporations of.

13. You know part of me doesn't want weed to be legalized until after 2016. It's going to be such hypocrisy when people start saying Obama helped legalize weed and end the war on drugs.

14. Because of the regulations that you are in favor of, you will likely never be able to grow and sell from your backyard. Almost every legalization will limit the number of sellers and growers, and you will need a special permit (which will cost a lot of money most likeky). This is contained in nearly all legalization bills that I've ever read so it's a safe bet that this will be the model in nearly all states.

15. #15 lightupbong, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013

Why do you think the should tax it? What possible reason could justify theft just because a person chooses to use a plant that has been on this planet since before recorded history? Can you explain why you endorse a gang of criminals coming to my door with guns and threatening to kill me if I don't open my wallet just because I smoke cannabis?

17. #17 FALSE, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
    Obviously anyone should be able to simply grow the plant for their own use.  Why is decriminalization better than legalization though in terms of that? It's going to be less of a hassle to grow and use if it is totally legalized rather than just lessening the the penalties for possession, which is all decriminalization really is.  If it was legal to the point where anyone who had the means could grow for their own use there would be no shortage... people could get stoned without having to deal...

Whats interesting is the very groups that are pro legal for medical reasons lobbied heavily against full legalization. Why?...dollars. 

19. Sanjay Gupta while a nice guy has ZERO input on any legislative anything. Hes a talking head on network that trails almost last usually. When you see the Feds address it then its real. They eventually will get off there lazy asses and do such since were in a legal quandary on it now. Do to the mish mash of laws and unwillingness of anyone to do anything they have set themselves up for a Supreme Court battle. All it takes is the person who decides to see it through its 5-10 course to get there. 

Internationally we are in a quandary as well. The US puts all sorts of attachments on its aid or getting such and such country a loan from the World Bank. Some of those strings involves Cannabis eradication programs. Countries do it because we give them money to do it and it gets them there billion dollar loan. Take India for instance. The mountain people have used Cannabis as currency for generations. Indian government is eradicating there crops because USA funds that program...its money and jobs and they do not care. Anyhow they had last year a meeting in South America to address this. We ask them to destroy crops that we legalized. 

If your wondering why Dr. Gupta withdrew his name from the list to be Surgeon General in the past for many years he has been very outspoken against government run healthcare. The Libs on Team BO did not want him ruining BO's master plan for us. Almost immediately after his name was thrown out if any of you read the news and recall Democrats who are pro universal Health Care started the attack. Thats the real reason. He was not bleeding heart enough. 

20. Because it is a commodity.  The same reason they tax other things you buy.  If you grow it yourself with your own labor for your own personal use, that is a different story.  If you choose to go to a cannabis store or whatnot and purchase the plant, then it should be taxed just like alcohol or tobacco.  Said tax money should be used for (not saying the govt. is smart enough to decide this themselves) drug education in general (prevent children from fucking with unmentionables and steer them towards cannabis if they're going to indulge in intoxicants), drug rehabilitation in general, and to fund the scientific study of the medicinal properties of cannabis.  Taxes aren't theft.  They're you and me paying our dues to the club so that we all live in a half-decent environment and not some 3rd-world shithole.