The organic progression commune

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by AKAoZ, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Oz looking great & love charlie carp. Great idea hey!

I really like that u've used epsom.

Thinking out loud: a sprinkle of wood ash from the fireplace should help balance out the acid u've put in (sulphate) and also give a gentle phosphorous push over the next couple weeks.

Just an idea, throwing it out there.

Hope you're well m8,

OD

2. [quote name='"ODgrower"']Oz looking great & love charlie carp. Great idea hey!

I really like that u've used epsom.

Thinking out loud: a sprinkle of wood ash from the fireplace should help balance out the acid u've put in (sulphate) and also give a gentle phosphorous push over the next couple weeks.

Just an idea, throwing it out there.

Hope you're well m8,

OD[/quote]

OD , kickin goals left right and centre here today man!

I really like that idea and first thing in the morning that's exactly what I'll do!
    Meant to rain here tomorrow for the first time in more than a month, so that can wash it in for me!

She's a plant for me to test stuff out on before the real season begins , so although I don't want to kill her obviously, I do want to try a few different approaches to lock in what I'll do when the real game begins!

One big note, I can smell her from here!! Smells like a candy shop full of ganja!!

Thanks man!!

Oz

3. #63 papawayne, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    Hey Oz,

You've probably already applied your wood ash, but I wanted to add a word of caution. Wood ash is very alkaline and very fast acting. A 'sprinkle' is indeed all you need.

One year, I sprinkled 2 Tbsp of wood ash (oak) onto 20 gal pots with established plants in them (already flowering), and over the next few days every fan leaf completely yellowed out. The ph had climbed high enough to lock out nitrogen, and the plants were cannibalizing themselves. Fortunately, wood ashes are also easily flushed from the soil, so a couple of heavy waterings straightened things out.

Good luck!

See ya...

4. [quote name='"papawayne"']Hey Oz,

You've probably already applied your wood ash, but I wanted to add a word of caution. Wood ash is very alkaline and very fast acting. A 'sprinkle' is indeed all you need.

One year sprinkled 2 Tbsp of wood ash (oak) onto 20 gal pots with established plants in them (already flowering), and over the next few days every fan leaf completely yellowed out. The ph had climbed high enough to lock out nitrogen, and the plants were cannibalizing themselves. Fortunately, wood ashes are also easily flushed from the soil, so a couple of heavy waterings straightened things out.

Good luck!

See ya...[/quote]

Cool thanks Papa!
    Haven't done it yet, still in bed here man!
    I won't do anything till I look into it a bit more, it might already be a lockout issue.

I mentioned somewhere that I buried some mulch with the last pot up so it might be that causing an issue breaking down.

Thanks again man!! You just mighta saved my ass there;)

Good morning!

5. #65 AKAoZ, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
    So I decided to just leave the girl alone for a while and see where we end up, put about 2" of castings on top and grass clippings for mulch (no fuel) to keep some moisture in.

The slower of the two seedlings has been sentenced to life as a soil tester, threw it in some soil I've had up the back for 4 months.

The other one is looking nice so there's hope for it yet, although I do like to experiment;)
    It's still a bit early for me to start proper right yet, I don't need a 5 month veg.

Anyway here's some pics

Attached Files:

6. Oz ur a legend. Thanks m8ey :D

Looking good man^.

2nd pic, mulch isn't touching the stem, is it?

(sorry another "had to ask" question) :eek:

:wave:

7. [quote name='"ODgrower"']Oz ur a legend. Thanks m8ey :D

Looking good man^.

2nd pic, mulch isn't touching the stem, is it?

(sorry another "had to ask" question) :eek:

:wave:[/quote]

Ha no way josé! keep askin man, I do some stupid shit sometimes!:D

Legends pushing it, I might need some grammar help down the track so we'll let it ride.

Oz

Edit : colour is better today too, worm poo and seaweed who'd a thunk it..

Attached Files:

8. Hey Oz,

The worm poo did the trick. See how much more defined the leaves are, and how they have a robust appearance? That's the worm poo. The seaweed (kelp) provides the minerals and secondary nutrients to support the growth process. Both are indispensable in an organic environment.

Looking good!

See ya...

9. [quote name='"papawayne"']Hey Oz,

The worm poo did the trick. See how much more defined the leaves are, and how they have a robust appearance? That's the worm poo. The seaweed (kelp) provides the minerals and secondary nutrients to support the growth process. Both are indispensable in an organic environment.

Looking good!

See ya...[/quote]

Hey papa,

Thanks man! Yeah those castings are magic! I'm constantly amazed!
    I can see now I'm going to be tinkering and changing things all this season but I'm loving it, it's so rewarding.
    Might head over and see what your up to.

Oz

10. Seedling update : firstly the healthy one, 12 days old pretty happy, should have good roots, its outside in the wind all day.

Next one same age as above but was much less healthy leaves were growing wrinkled so became a living ph tester, has grown but still prob shocked a bit.

And the random garden crasher that I thought was dead is making a comeback, good luck to it, no love from me, it's almost spring here so who knows.
    Threw a before pic in too, I didn't think it would come back from that kind of damage so young.

I notice pics don't always come out in order as I post them but pretty easy to see who's who.

Morning!

Oz

Attached Files:

11. sweet Oz :D :D :D

post #67^, is that morning sun? If so i think she's a morning person!!

her crown looks almost TOO vibrant, like she's straining with it!

Awesome :D :D

and go the trampled one!

Hope ur well dude,

OD

PS Happy to help Oz - i suck at 'style' and so don't touch it, but good at crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's.

Anytime m8, just let me know.

:wave:

12. [quote name='"ODgrower"']sweet Oz :D :D :D

post #67^, is that morning sun? If so i think she's a morning person!!

her crown looks almost TOO vibrant, like she's straining with it!

Awesome :D :D

and go the trampled one!

Hope ur well dude,

OD

PS Happy to help Oz - i suck at 'style' and so don't touch it, but good at crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's.

Anytime m8, just let me know.

:wave:[/quote]

G'day OD:D

She's an all day kinda girl! Straining to be a fat little bitch I hope! As long as I dont fuck anything up I think she'll be nice.
    TOO vibrant I'll be happy with, as long as she's not dead I'm happy!

I'd send you some of this weather if I could man, it's unreal! How's your sprouts handling it ??

Lost the last post so I'll see how this one goes.

Talk soon
    Oz

Few pics, potted up the other seedling today, different soil I watered the soil the other day with some life force instant humus 80% humic, from nutri tech papa if you read this. $10 for a kilo at my local organic food store so thought I'd see what it does for that price.
    And a few of the girl coz I'm snap happy.

Attached Files:

13. Hey Oz,

Back in post #17 you showed a compost tote you put together that had been sitting for a year. Is any of that compost in the soil of your flowering girl? I read your soil mix and didn't see it.

If not, just a suggestion: next watering, top dress with an inch or so of that compost and water it in good. That would make an excellent compliment to the worm poo/kelp you did last week.

Nutri-Tech... :D ...I spent an outrageous amount on shipping to get my Nutri-Tech order from Auz, and then switched to SIPPA and water only! Figures, eh? I loved what their products did for my girlz, but now I think of them as backup resources only - foliars for potassium, calcium, micro-nutrients, etc. - in case there's a problem.

Looks like your girl is fattening up nice! :hello:

See ya...

14. [quote name='"papawayne"']Hey Oz,

Back in post #17 you showed a compost tote you put together that had been sitting for a year. Is any of that compost in the soil of your flowering girl? I read your soil mix and didn't see it.

If not, just a suggestion: next watering, top dress with an inch or so of that compost and water it in good. That would make an excellent compliment to the worm poo/kelp you did last week.

Nutri-Tech... :D ...I spent an outrageous amount on shipping to get my Nutri-Tech order from Auz, and then switched to SIPPA and water only! Figures, eh? I loved what their products did for my girlz, but now I think of them as backup resources only - foliars for potassium, calcium, micro-nutrients, etc. - in case there's a problem.

Looks like your girl is fattening up nice! :hello:

See ya...[/quote]

G'day papa,

I'm still not too sure what I'd class that 'compost' as lol but yeah there is some in the flowering one, a bit different ratio each pot up,
    I wanted to see if it was useable and it seems to be alright so far, the drainage was a problem with the diff consistencies between pot ups and the last being the airiest, but the top dressing has sorted that, castings around the edge so as to let water a bit more time to soak into the middle.

I think the only mix I've really documented was for seedlings peat/castings/perlite/kelp?

The black tote cooking now contains a good amount of it too, I started with a solid plan but that's gone out the window.

I mixed the basics, about 50L (12 gal) just <2cu ft peat/ewc/tote compost to get the consistency I wanted then added to it:

2 cups kelp
    1 cups alfalfa
    1 cup dolomite
    1 cup granite dust
    1 cup blood and bone
    1-2 cups organic xtra
    1/2-1 cup powdered eggshells
    1/4 cup Epsom
    1/2 cup ground shell grit
    (I know I'm forgetting something here)
    Didnt find any neem so I'll spray em once at beginning of flower with neem oil.

I'll mix about another 15L perlite into it when it's done and maybe cut it more with some peat if it's too rich as is.

Still got some tote compost here too, the heavier stuff near the bottom so I'll top dress some of that in next water for sure.
    Thanks for the advice PW

Take it easy
    Oz

15. Hey Oz,

Your soil mix looks real good, but you're a bit light on the granite dust - 4-5 cups would be right for 12 gals. Check out the last few pages of jerry's thread for some good discussion on rock dusts.

Can you get your hands on garden gypsum? One cup of gypsum to go with your lime will keep the soil PH stable, add important elements like sulfur and calcium, and will help condition the soil against compaction.

Looks like a 'water only' soil mix to me. :D Good job!

See ya...

16. Awesome thanks Papa,
    yep I'll grab some gypsum tomorrow and I have been following the convo all over the place on the rock dust, felt bad originally derailing Boro's thread with the 'why so much rock dust' question but it's been informative lol .
    I can get some mixed hard rock crusher dust tomorrow so I'll get another 2 cups into it aswell.

Thanks man

Oz

17. :wave: Oz

:poke: :D

everything cool up there in paradise?

18. [quote name='"ODgrower"']:wave: Oz

:poke: :D

everything cool up there in paradise?[/quote]

Isn't it always;) yeah man sweet as up here, not much going on just enjoying the weather.
    Takin a few pics..

Any better down your way?

Attached Files:

19. Hey Oz,

Nice, healthy looking specimen. Way to go!

See ya...

20. wow cool pic oz^

and look at that sun beating down!

miserable down here, cats and dogs aint in it. Least the flying ice is over, but power has been down most of tonight

thanks for ur comment, now i'm picturing u swinging in a hammock, wiping ur brow with one hand, cold beer in the other :mad:

btw have been meaning to ask for a couple of pages: are the germans eating the crocodiles, or are the crocodiles eating the germans? :confused:

No wait, perhaps i'm best off not knowing.

Talk soon dude,

OD