The only way to check for dry soil - Will someone make this a sticky

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by backfromthedead, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Alot of noob growers who grow in soil over-water there plants

I decided to start this thread when I read someones advice on when to water your plants.

Never stick your finger in the soil this will mess up things:
    - You get dirty fingers
    - You pack down your soil
    - Its not accurate... at all

THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD DO IT:

- Lift up your pot of soil and plant
    - Do not water your plant until the soil is bone dry
    - The soil is dry if your plant, pot, and soil feel as light as a feather

Marijuana thrives in extremely dry climates like Afganistan, mexico, etc. this is where the worlds best pot comes from. Let your soil dry out completely before watering agian. And I'm I mean dry that soil out!

You will notice that the speed of growth almost triples if you don't water your plants for several days and then some. This is because your roots are finally getting the air they need

Remember: Lift up your plant you will develope a feel for it, and you will be accurately able to judge the water content of the soil. (If you have to have a pot of dry soil that is the same as the others that you never water: To help compare the weight)

It is extremely hard to fix an overwatered plant because they look like they don't have enough water, It is easy to fix a plant that needs water, just water it, it will recover in less than half an hour. But if you overwater it could take days to dry the soil and by that time your plant might be dead!!!

You will have much better results this way.

2. for sure thanks for that...
    im a noob grower and i wasnt sure when to water and how much and all that...i also never knew the reason for letting the soil dry up.
    thanks

3. thanks! great info

4. I'm glad everyone likes this thread but it seems to be at the bottom of the lists. Hopefully people will find it through the search engines, but we want them to join to be a part of the city... GC that is.

5. I personally don't like that method I have 5 gallon pots and its to much strain to pick them up. I use a moisture meter from walmart (yea I admit) people say they are not accurate yada yada yada. Stick it all the way down if its between 1-3 water and if its 4-10 don't, pretty simple and leaves the guess work out.

6. hehe yeah that is kind of a pain in the ass....

I just feed from the bottom and she takes what she wants.

I place a dish under my pots and fill the dish with water/nutes solution 15 minutes later i remove the dish.

Andrew

7. This actually improves growth rate?
    Hmmm, interesting.

I'm starting my first grow this year. Only a plant or two, outdoor.
    I'll definitively try this. It sounds worthwhile.

(STICKY!)

8. Now...I have read that you should add enough water to JUST have it start to come out. Is this true? Does it cause any harm to keep on wattering until a good amount of water comes out and then allow the plant to fully dry out again? I did this on my last watering and noticed a big growth spurt by the next morning. I don't think my soil was getting fully saturated at the time of watering thus causing me growth issues.

Great post. I agree with the sticky nomination!
    Thanks,

Bill

9. Stick it (in my mind) thx man ;D

10. I only give mine a quart every few days and they're in 3.5 gallon grow bags. It's true, let the soil get dry! I use my finger now. Used to use a meter. Either way, if you're going to stick something in the soil, do it at the outer edge and try to be gentle... like it's her first time every time... if ya know what I mean :devious:

11. I can agree with everything you said OP but I would like to add that you shouldn't fertilize or feed plants when the soil is bone dry as it may burn fresh root growth.
    I have a routine where soil that was fertilized last feeding, is allowed to dry out so that all nute solution in the soil is used. While plants that were watered with plain water the last time, are fed before the soil completely dries out.
    For example, if I water tonight, then I feed in 3 days, let dry out for about 4 days , then water again, exactly 7 days and easy to track of things. This, of course, may vary according to grow room climate.
    I have noticed growth spurts after drying out the soil though. My PK put on close to 1/2 size on her main colas after last watering with plain water in 2 days. Don't have before and after pics, so no proof but if anyone calls me out on that, I can have em ready in about a week.

12. Dude last night my blueberry looked fine, today after work it looked so droopy and dry, I mean drooooopy scary! I just watered her. I hope she stands back up. I'm trippin! I'm having to water like every 2 days. I know it's not over watering cause my 6 liter pots were light as hell. FFOF drains pretty well I guess. Ha. She is like 26 days veg and huge! Drinks way more then my LSD.

Pz

13. Dude these plants are amazing! She already perked back up in an hour and a half. Thanks for the great tips!

14. I usually water when they start to droop, which (with my dutch dope) happens when the soil is still a little moist, but with my black ice, I wait and do the heaviness test

15. not sure about more growth but i do find myself using this method above all else when it comes time to water

16. I have DP Blueberry in my garden right now and I can tell you that they do develop a very robust root ball. Just like you, my blueberry mother takes a gallon every 2 days, compared to my other mothers wo require less watering

17. There is no need to let your plants dry out completeley between waterings.

18. [quote name='"capitate"']There is no need to let your plants dry out completeley between waterings.[/quote]

Letting the soil completely dry makes the roots search for moisture and nutrients making them grow and your plant develop a better root structure.

19. :)Letting your roots get completely dry makes your plant wilt severely and stresses it. Growth slows. Actually letting the soil go truly bone dry all the way will kill your plant. Water when the soil is dry down to about an inch. The idea is to let the roots aerate some, not die of dessication. Marijuana likes water just fine, just let it dry out some between waterings.

20. [quote name='"capitate"']:)Letting your roots get completely dry makes your plant wilt severely and stresses it. Growth slows. Actually letting the soil go truly bone dry all the way will kill your plant. Water when the soil is dry down to about an inch. The idea is to let the roots aerate some, not die of dessication. Marijuana likes water just fine, just let it dry out some between waterings.[/quote]

Think about where they grow in the wild. Think about it for just a second.