The Official Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by Braddd, Dec 16, 2011.

1. This is a thread to discuss wrestling. Not the WWE shit, the high school, college, and olympic wrestling. Singlet and headgear wrestling. :p

This thread is for anything and everything about wrestling (except hate). If you have questions about something, need tips on cutting weight or learning a move, or if you just want to post what school you wrestle/wrestled for. You can talk about how awesome your last win was, or how bullshit a ref was, anything man!

I have plenty wrestling experience, as well as lots of others on this site. PLEASE if you have ANY questions at all feel free to ask!

Please do NOT come to this thread with hate, such as "wrestling is gay, they wear tights" or that ignorance.

I currently wrestling for Lumberton High School, in North Carolina. I'm in the 113 weight class (even though I've been bumping up to 120 because our 120 can't make his damn weight :mad:)

2. I didn't start wrestling till I started doing mma. I can't say I am a fan of learning wrestling or practicing it but it sure does come in handy and in Mma u have to know it. When it comes to pure wrestling I am not that good but when it gets combined with striking then I become better because I have good timming and setups from striking and countering there strikes or kicks with a takedown.

3. It seems interesting to me, but I've never done it because all of the weight cutting bullshit.

4. I quit after 8th grade right before high school. I started wrestling when I was about six. I won NC state championship a few times in between there. I also broke my arm at regional one year. Last match I had, I tripped the guy and put him in a headlock, got the pin in 13 seconds.

I go to Pinecrest, and our wrestling team is pretty decent here.

I remember waking up at 5 am for a tournament hours away, and spending all day long inside a gym watching your team wrestle and then wrestling.

5. It's worth a try man, even if you don't want to cut weight. Just wrestle at whatever weight class you fit into. It's worth at least getting the experience, you only have 4 years of high school to do it.

6. Holy shit! I'm pretty straight friends with Zac Lupien, a senior there lol. If you ever see a kid named Alex Steinbacher, please pick on him and say "Lumberton pinned your ass last year in 22 seconds!" hahaha, good times. :hello:

7. Go Beavers!

8. You mean Pirates! :hello:

9. No I mean Oregon State Beavers!

Jim Zalesky is a beast coach, they will compete!

10. I just want someone to beast beside iwoa, iowa state, or penn state lol. Arizona State has potential.

11. I represented North Carolina in 05 at this tournament in Tennessee. There was only one state there, that had like over a 100 people cheering them. All you heard the entire tournament was I-O-WA. Shit was unreal.

12. Never have done pure wrestling but i started out doing no gi BJJ. I did that for a few years and now am starting to do GI bjj. Sucks that i have to start out as a white belt knowing ive done no gi for a few years now lol.

13. I wrestled all 4 years of highschool and was pretty good, almost wish I would have wrestled in college but then I'd be at a completely different university.

I help coach and wrestle with my old highschool team though, since my university is right down the street.

14. Just started wrestling and I was wondering if you guys had any tips to cut weight.

15. Man I wish there was an infrastructure for wrestling here in Britain like there is in the States. I've only learned some basics (locking up, simple takedowns) as part of my submission wrestling at my local MMA dojo/gym, but it's really infectious and an amazing work out.

16. Yeah man.
    If it's a night before a tournament, and you have like 4 pounds to cut then it's going to be critical.
    If it's a week before a tournament and you have a lot of weight to cut, don't sweat it.

Night before a tournament, don't eat don't drink. Use the bathroom often. Continuously move, keeping your sweat going. If you're running/working out, but you feel like shit with 3 hoodies on, take a layer off. It's better to work hard with less clothing than half ass it.

Time in advance, eat light, get your diet right, limit yourself to only about 3 bottles of water a day. I guarantee you you can lose at least 5 pounds in a week just by watching your water weight. In practice have compression shorts and a long sleeve top on everyday, work hard the whole practice, continuously moving, steady sweating. Do this everyday and you'll see you'll be fine.

I guarantee you this works, I've cut up to 5.5 lbs in an hour and a half, and I only weight 113 haha.

17. Strict dieting first of all, no soft drinks, no junk foods, no wasted calories. Even on the weekends stick to a diet, while you're wrestling eat healthy too. My diet was grilled chicken, spinach, and cinnamon on top, cereal for breakfast, protein bar for lunch.

Exercise on your days off, exercise after practice. I'd try to at least get in a light jog, strength workout on selected days, extra wrestling, something. Our strength program was decent, but I was used to a better one so I needed that extra workout, and I struggled with endurance most of my previous years so the extra jogging or wrestling allowed me to push harder than most of my opponents. The extra wrestling worked out well, my brother is a year younger but he's a beast, he's 16-0 right now actually, so I could wrestle with him, or a selection of coaches that wrestled, one wrestled in college, the other had followed our coach from his previous (much better) program and had just graduated.

If you have access to a sauna use one to cut the night before, if you run or cycle or jump it off you'll be much more tired the next day. The most important thing is to be ready to wrestle the next day, so wearing yourself out the night before isn't the best idea.

When wrestling bad kids get alot of takedowns, work your moves and push yourself. This will let you burn a ton of calories, build strength and technique, and help in a tie breaker for duels. Plus how often besides that can you standing granby, spladle, or hit many other fancy moves?

Don't dehydrate until the night right before. Laxatives help too if done 2 days before.

18. #18 angusbeef, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2012
    Just grab that little bean bag between your legs and gitter done! I don't see why people make such a big deal out of this it just takes a little self control around the holidays, you should be getting plenty of exercise on the team. You will want to eat alot of protein but are going to need some carbs to keep burning huge amounts of calories. I've had to drop upto 30 pounds, never less than 20 in about 4-6 weeks each season, amounts they wouldn't even allow ya in today's monitored sport.

Broccoli is great food that actually helps in stimulating weight loss. Eat it. It takes something like 7-8 calories out of 10 for your body to synthesize an break down a good lean protein so you'll never go wrong there.

I have lost approx one solid pound ++ per day on a couple different periods in my life outside of wrestling using these diets...and exercise...

Diet one
    A. Cereal for breakfast
    B. I Skip lunch...or hell, make a protein shake and work out on your lunch hour. Eat a tuna fish sandwich. Fruit? Power bar.. something.
    C. Tuna fish and rice for dinner. Picked that up from the marine corps... I like some heinz57 on top and stirred all together, yum yum. Acquired taste haha.

Diet two

A. Two fried eggs, you can choose to eat or leave the yokes..and one slice of whole wheat bread.
    B. Again skip lunch or eat protein shake.
    C. Something lean and high and protein for dinner. Chicken breast, a fish fillet, hell, even pork or beef steak. And a broccoli/whole wheat noodle mix... get just enough water to boil the noodles and let the broccoli sit on top and steam.

Diet three

A. Wouldn't recommend this at home, and unless ya had a farm hook up like us, its not very practical but was on a pure watermelon diet sophomore year which may have been the most effective for the purposes of wrestling.lol

If you are in a weight dropping situation and aren't shedding 2-3 pounds, much of it obviously just water weight, each practice..you aren't working hard enough.

19. I currently wrestle down in Florida and am 17-3 this year. The only that sucks about it is I can't smoke weed as much as I want.

20. cut 3 holes in a trash bag. Head, left arm, right arm. Put that on, and then a hoodie and sweat pants and go running.