The official UFC/MMA thread...

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by BMISS, Oct 15, 2008.

1. I have a video about Amy from college, but I don't think she'd appreciate me sharing it publicly.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I never understood what was so great about Glover. Not to take anything away from Gustaffson, who I do like, but I always felt the only reason Glover is ever talked about in the UFC, is because 205 is a very shallow division.

Looking forward to Gustaffson - Jones 2. Should answer a lot of questions created by their 1st fight.
    Good return fight for Jon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Glover was actually a bit of a badass before he faced Jon Jones. Jon jacked up his shoulder and his confidence. He got knocked out a few times after that and he hasn't been the same. He aged pretty quick. He was in his final good years when he finally made it to the UFC.

He had 8 wins in a row in his UFC debut, including knocking out Ryan Bader in the first round, and hadn't lost in 12 years when Jon beat him. I think one of his problems is not going to a real camp for a long time. It's too late for him now. He's too old. Used to train with Chuck.

His win list is pretty impressive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Funny funny lol Amy= amateur
    I have one though I lost to a rear naked...

• Like Like x 4
  5. If that is truly you, I salute you for going out there and doing it.

I've done fairly well in personal physical "disagreements" over the years, but I've never put it out on the line in an actual scheduled fight. Maybe something to consider for older age, but likely not.

I've always said, the fan who talks shit like it's easy to go in there and handle business during combat, is the fan who does not understand wtf combat is.
    Lots of respect for the men and women who do it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. #30746 Praetorian, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  7. Yes that me I lost... I was training for a long time and life happened then later in life I got in an argument with a guy that was fighting at the time and was "educating" him a little bit about some things (punching lighters out yadayada) he challenged to a spar which I did Held my own but gassed from a lengthy time of cigs

no cigs 20days later

and a fight later that year. Now my wife says no so with 3 kids a strong family and a-lot to do with things iv'e set up in life 40 acres tryna set up a farm yada yada. I am happy I was blessed with the opportunity to jump in that ring

• Like Like x 5
  8. Funny. I was listening to Rogan today and he was saying some very similar stuff about Glover. We never really saw the guy in his prime. His visa issues kept him out of the UFC for the best part of his career. Unlike many Brazilians he's a wrestler and a jiu jitsu black belt. With his boxing he's very well rounded.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #30749 VikingToker, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    I don't share his sentiment. I sense that Paulie, and others, a deep resentment to Connor that in turn flavors the sentiment against him to a rather spiteful degree. I get the same taste in my mouth that I get when I hear leftists talk about Trump. This spite removes credibility from his statement. Let's not forget that McGregor has completely clowned Paulie, and probably has a lot of leftover anger from all of that.

Without going through the argument again, I think you can say a lot about McGregor, but to call him a pussy is silly. He's got a lot of courage, just to do what he does, on such a stage.

Edit: Try to put aside your obvious and overwhelming distaste for the man. After getting completely humiliated by Nate Diaz - what did he do - he went right for the rematch - and what does that say about him?

10. #30750 Praetorian, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Ehh, you're right about Paulie not liking Conor. They've been going @ it over social media for over a year now.
    That has nothing to do with the sour taste many people have developed about McGregor on their own.

Conor has dug his own grave in terms of how he is perceived. Loudly and repeatedly, on camera.
    Having a distaste for him is not something fetched out of thin air and Paulie Malignaggi is not the only one spitting out the ugly flavor currently.

He's called him a pussy because of the mountain of super disrespectful shit talking that took place before this fight (and other fights) only to see Conor then "try to explain" to his opponent how "it's just business" while he's getting his ass kicked in righteous retribution during the fight.
    Real bitch move.

Not sure where/how you grew up, but where I come from, if you talk a lot of shit and then try to backpedal during the ass beating you had coming your way, it's a bitch move.
    Saying "it's only business" is nowhere a real way out. No other man would tell him "oh I get it, you're ok to keep insulting, since it's only business."

If Conor loses once or twice more, I predict he will plummet worse in fans' eyes than Rousey did.

• Like Like x 1
  11. This I absolutely agree with. They are handling their losses differently, though.

Did you see Conor's instagram post or w/e detailing the loss? Not entirely objective, but an approximation of his defeat, at least.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I question the ufc business decision to allow these circus acts to continue. It seems to me they are setting themselves up for a disaster by letting Conor put on such a show. When he loses again and is exposed as being one dimensional like Rhonda the void left when he exits the contender ranks or the ufc all together will be devastating imho. I think they would be smart to promote some other fighters who will probably be around in a year or two. Not that they can't promote and capitalize on Conor celebrity status, but to build a company around one fighter who honestly isn't that good is concerning. People are going to ask wtf is going on, especially during news conferences and the media tours when it's back to the respectful questions and answers more like boxing than the Conor antics that remind me of that fake wrestling crap I like to call men's soap opera. It's just a drama show to me, style over substance where the characters matter more than the matches.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. #30753 Praetorian, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    DC dominated Lewis, as was more or less expected.

As much as I like him, Weidman may no longer be cream of the crop @ 185. No shame losing to Jacare, but between the losses and the layoffs, Chris' chances to ever see that title again seem very small. .

[​IMG]

PS.

Israel Adesanya might be the hottest up-and-comer in the UFC.

14. #30754 Praetorian, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    I love Al Iaquinta.

Major props for doing as well as he did against Khabib.
    Nurmagomedov-McGregor commentary @ 7:00

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Askren is going to be interesting to watch.

His dominance to-date is undeniable, but his competition has not been anywhere near what the top of the UFC has to offer.

upload_2018-11-7_12-1-34.png

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'm officially on the Israel Adesanya hype train, and have been for a while now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next big thing @ 85 and eventually 205.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1