The official UFC/MMA thread...

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by BMISS, Oct 15, 2008.

1. God, what a pathetic fight. I was initially rooting for Maia (mostly out of pure hatred for Woodley) but after watching this idiot dive for Woodley's legs for two rounds, I was just praying for Woodley to knock him the fuck out. What a moron. I'm just glad the Jones-Cormier fight went as well as I hoped.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. There is this notion BJJ players in MMA have, where they think it's 1993 still, and they are the only guy in the Octagon who knows what BJJ is. No way could the other guy possibly defend it!

Maia needed a bulldozer and 2 more guys just to GET Tyron to the ground. Then he needed 4 more guys to hold him down there for a snowball's chance in hell for a submission.

This seemed blatantly obvious to me for years before this fight ever took place.

[​IMG]

upload_2017-7-31_5-58-3.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Painful to hit the agree button here, I was all for Maia pulling some wizard shit that'd get Rogan going mad fanboi. I wanted nothing more than to sit here and masturbate in jujitsu sycophantism

We BJJ guys have had to eat our own assholes often over the course of the last few years

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. #30204 Praetorian, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    "I don't want to sit up here and make promises, and say that I'm going to be a saint. Because at the end of the day, I am a wild motherfucker"

I'm starting to heat up to the Jon Jones - Brock Lesnar idea. Mainly because I'd like to see Jon @ a solid 235-240.

If he can combine his skill set with a powerful lean heavyweight body then just wow.
    Brock would get dismantled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. I thought I posted this but Gadelha vs Andrade is official for Japan :)

Gadelha vs Andrade.PNG

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I'm Just wondering has anyone here been to a UFC event? I purchased tickets for UFC 215 and since UFC doesn't come to my area much I'm just woundering what to expect. I mean in terms of other fans behaviours as I've herd some get annoying and out of hand. As well as intervals between fights, is it the same as the televised intervals? Anything else you could include would gladly be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I've been to a few smaller events (not UFC), and it's basically like watching it at a bar, just with a lot more people and possibly a lot more alcohol, since monkeys tend to behave worse in larger crowds.

Generally, with the UFC, there is security and the majority of people are just there to have a good time. Stay away from the drunk roid freaks and you'll be fine.

• Like Like x 3
  8. I've been to 3 different UFC events, Sonnen vs Shogun, Mousasi vs Jacare and McGregor vs Siver. After going to each one I've really learned how to pick a good area to watch the fights(I even have posted pictures of the events I've went to in this thread) because like any sports event there can be assholes there. I'd be more worried about how many fighters/refs/UFC people you're going to get to run into because they are all over the place and IMO that is the best part of the experience.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. #30209 Lily Revy, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    I've been hearing rumors about Garbrandt fighting Dillashaw at UFC 216 & Robbie Lawler fighting Jorge Masvidal at UFC 217 for the interim belt because Woodley is going to be out for more than 6 mores due to a torn labrum :confused:

20525891_1919822008045044_432537851584466543_n.jpg

20479931_1919764551384123_4014917573372029271_n.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. I've been to:
    UFC 138- leben vs munoz
    UFC on Fuel 5 and 7- Miocic vs struve and Barao vs McDonald
    and fight night 30 (Machida vs Munoz) and 37 (Manuwa vs Gustavson)

Theres a few pricks, not too many. I often find theres a line of what the crowd will accept- like boo anyone not from here if theyre fighting people from here yes, someone near me shouted some racial slurs at a japanese fighter, made quite clear by those around him thats not acceptable.
    When Gunar Nelson made his ufc debut me and 3 of my mates ended up sat surrounded by about 40 guys from team mjolnir over from iceland, that was fun- and you definitely know theres going to be no trouble.

Gaps are as you see them on TV.
    Each time the broadcast changes channels is a point where that fight has to start other than that theres a bit of flexability in the timings from the one every half hour guideline- if theres quick finishes in prelims they'll tend to try and turn them around faster because a) bit makes a better atmosphere in the arena and that comes across on the broadcast b) after a few quick fights bunched together they'll then put a bit of a break, theres a pre recorded announcment of bruce buffer telling you to "do what you gotta do" and then everyones pissed, got a beer, stocked up and nachos and is back in their seats before the ppv starts and it looks like an empty arena because everyones in the bathroom line.

on a related note before the main card get back to your seat a bit early- theres a montage video they use to hype the crowd right before they go live (youve probably noticed a lot of ppv's that start with the piece to camera you can hear baba oriely by the who in the background, or if prelims run right to the end of the time slot its playing as they end the broadcast- thats the montage, they update it every now an again so i've probably not seen the current version, but the versions i've seen are some of the most hyping highlight compilations ever)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Most of the fighters I've met have been pretty cool. Was there anyone in particular that you really enjoyed meeting?

I wouldn't mind seeing Dillashaw getting that W Garbrandt was all over place on TUF acting like asshole and I think Masvidal vs Lawler could be a good 1 for UFC 217 I wonder if the talks of Holloway vs Edgar will end up happening for that event as well :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've met some cool people from the MMA world not just from going to UFC events but also Bellator, CES MMA and Lion Fight events. I got a chance to meet guys like Steven Siler, Nick Newell, Dan Miragliotta, Kenny Florian, Jon Anik, Joe Lauzon & a few others. They were all pretty nice guys real down to earth when I was talking to them

• Like Like x 2
  13. Well bad news for Alexa Grasso she officially made weight at 119 while her opponent Randa Markos weighed in at 116 for their fight tomorrow. Now that the women's flyweight division is here for the UFC maybe it's something Grasso can think about :confusedalt:

14. Any thoughts on this fight? :)

FB_IMG_1501889406565.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Very good fight between Rose and Joana.

If we use Karolina as a measuring stick, Joana should smoke Rose, but matchups make the fight. If I'm betting, I'm betting on Joana, but I really want Rose to hold that belt. She's one of my favorite fighters period.

In other news: Really ready to stop hearing the name Paulie Malignaggi. I can't wait to watch McGregor pull off the upset, but I couldn't care less about what Paulie did or said between now and then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. New york is getting fucking huge - bisping vs gsp and cody vs tj confirmed.
    Joanna vs rose rumoured for a third title fight.
    and theres some potentially good fights on the prelims- hopefully Ion Cutelaba looks as terrifying as he did in his last fight (I'm really hoping it was a case of a couple of rocky performances settling in to the ufc and now back to being as devastating as he was on the European circuit and not just a lucky one off - the 205 division could really use a 23 year old that can fuck people up with the first punch right now)

17. Keep the fights coming

FB_IMG_1502969755494.jpg
    FB_IMG_1502969895004.jpg
    FB_IMG_1502969840285.jpg
    FB_IMG_1502970165654.jpg
    FB_IMG_1502969758813.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Garbrandt - Dillashaw : Fireworks. As top notch a fight @ 135 as we've ever seen. May be the best one yet. Both of these guys are legitimately bad ass and in their prime. Look for a ton of speed and technique. No one will gas. No one will blink.

Ferguson - Lee : I'd say screw McGregor for creating all the title dramas @ 45 and 55, but his popularity and magnitude in the sport right now is tough to argue against. If he wants to fight that rich 12 year old Mayweather, I'm all for it and cheering for him. I do hope Tony wraps Kevin up and finally gets some 55 gold. He deserves it more.

Silva-Gastellum: In his prime, Anderson Silva would have beaten the Mexican food out of Gastellum's wobbly gut. Right now in 2017, unless he gets caught with something out of the blue freaky, Kelvin will destroy Anderson 9 out of 10 times.

GSP - Bisping: Michael Bisping is the king of milking a career in old age. All the top 5 at 185 would absolutely destroy him 9 out of 10 fights, everyone knows it, and he still gets the monster flash upset over Rockhold, then continues to fight old fighters while getting injured and even further prolonging his title "reign".
    If the GSP of old returns in full, he will destroy Michael. Considering how long Georges has been gone, that is a giant ??? at this point. I can see this fight going either way, but the next time Bisping fights someone from the 85 top 5, he's going to get dismantled.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Looks like Jorge Masvidal vs Stephen Thompson is going down at UFC 217 :)

Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 2
  20. I like Jorge very much and have thought he was underrated for years now, ever since he fought Gilbert Melendez in his prime when he was the Strikeforce champ back in 2011.

Having said that, if you can't take out Damian Maia on the feet, good luck taking out Wonderboy.

Jorge's best chance would be to make this dirty, get in real close, and keep it there. If he lets Wonderboy create a gap and get into a set-up and timed striking exchange, he's going to get decapitated.

upload_2017-8-18_13-3-47.gif

• Agree Agree x 1