The official UFC/MMA thread...

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by BMISS, Oct 15, 2008.

1. He's a marketing genius in my opinion. He really knows how to sell a fight. And he's a great fighter too. His first fight against silva was great and his second fight, he would have won if he didn't get so cocky and try a spinning backfist

2. Just watching this Rodriguez fight on the Salt lake card, this Mo'fucka has some legs on him! A tap dancing career is always a back up...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeah, I dont think I want to see him get a step up in competition really- i think its great watching him doing this against non elite guys, as he climbs up the rankings he'll face the same questions as mcgregor ie will frankie and mendes put him on his back and negate his entire game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. True, he had some good scrambles to get up but his take downs weren't great. I'd imagine if he faced a decent wrestler or black belt in JJ it would of been a different story. Even a more talented striker to match his footwork would of had plenty chance for a KO he left himself open way to many times with his spinning attacks.
    Still looking forward to his next fight!

5. i think youd have to be a very good striker... Fili isnt a bad striker and he got highlight reeled by Yarir

6. Who else is hoping Nate wraps up the leprechaun again?

The less likely, but perhaps sweeter option would be if he slowly jabs him to death.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I really think Nate will get him again. He enters the octagon with the same mindset every fight kill or be killed. He took Connor's best shots last fight and regardless of what Connor says or who he has been training against I don't see Nate getting finished. Besides how much has McGregor really improved in 6 months and has he worked on his BJJ??? Diaz by Dec or Sub haven't decided yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Don't count out McGregor to soon, remember Bisping beat Rockhold... So anything is possible, it only takes one perfect punch.

9. This is true for every fight in MMA, so I agree that anything's possible. I still say Rockhold beats current Bisping 9 out of 10 fights.

• Like Like x 2
  10. But do you think Diaz beats McGregor 9 times out of 10? Both are decent boxers, McGregors karate is next level but Diaz has the black belt in JJ.

11. I think you might be forgetting Conor made a name for himself beating up people at least a weight class lower than him. I have respect for Conor taking this fight he just lost in that manner, that take balls, and Im not counting him out either. Fight game anything goes, but Diaz is better at everything, and I think you know that its true. Diaz has better conditioning, stand up, ground game. Maybe in the clutch Conor has an edge, I dont know.
    People were crying about Aldo holding up the 145 division, but Conor is doing the same thing.
    Do you think Conor can even make 145 at this point?
    And what about that new welterweight 'champ', first he ducked Lombard, now hes ducking Wonderboy? WTF Is that shit? Fight the number one contender, or Nick Diaz.
    I know Nick hasnt fought in a while, and has not won a fight even longer then that, but I dont care, Diaz fanboy for life.

12. Getting jabbed to death was what turned Conor into a panic wrestler in the first place. Will be really intriguing to watch how Conor handles going punch for punch with someone who many feel has way better stand up than Conor. Another edge Conor has over many but can never have over Nate is the mental aspect of it. He could barely come up with anything to say and Nate was never shook.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I love Nate and am rooting for him big time in this fight, but Nate in no way shape or form has better stand up than Conor. The only time Nate is better in stand up is when Conor gasses.

Again, I say this as a Nate fan and someone who hopes Conor loses.

14. I actually very much dislike Conor, but at this point in their careers, I say he beats Nate 7 out of 10 fights. While he talks a lot of shit, I actually do buy his talk about being gassed in the 1st fight. After all, he was soundly lighting Nate up before gassing.

Again, I say this as a Nate fan, I just can't deny the lit up face he had at the end of the 1st round. I really, really hope he beats Conor again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'm personally tired of the Nate Conor debate. They're in different weight classes. Nate will never fight 145. Personally I think Nate is just too tough for Conor to knock out. He regularly spars with big punchers and whatever knockout power you think Conor has he's a small guy and he would have to get really lucky to flatline Nate. Nate has too good of defense to get caught. He will eventually grind Conor down. Yes Conor did an amazing/lucky thing knocking out Jose with one punch but I think he might be one of the most overhyped dudes in history. How many actually great fighters has he faced? 3?

Normally when a dude wins the 145 belt he actually has to defend it. Is there any plan for him to actually defend his 145 belt because there are some 145 killers that could probably turn off his lights on the right night? It's the year of people losing the belt for sure. Is there going to be an actual successful title defense this year except for mighty mouse?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Remember that you said Conor has better stand up than Diaz. Fight is a little over a week away.
    So how do you envision the fight going down? Nate turns into the panic wrestler? Since he cant trade with Conor? What is your take on this?

• Like Like x 1
  17. No, I'm actually in full agreement. Regardless of the previous victory, I do actually think Nate turns into the panic wrestler. I dislike Conor, but his standup is legit. Considering how bloodied up Nate was at the end of the 1st round, I see Conor shutting his lights out in this one, IF properly prepared. TKO McGregor

Having said that.........this is MMA. This is the sport where a 76yr old Michael Bisping can beat Luke Rockhold in his prime. I dare not make any 100% predictions.

18. I think Conor is scared to face Jose again. He's 2 for 3 vs world class competition. He loses to Nate a second time. Then he loses to Jose the hype train is derailed. Look what Jose did to Frankie who everyone though just needed his chance. Jose is pissed, he's a tough fight, and Conor is his only lose in like 10+ years. Conor is in trouble for talking all that shit. He'll end up challenging some pikie for a caravan in North Ireland.

19. I dislike Conor and I think you're wrong on that. Conor dominates 145 by cutting MAJOR weight. He's not scared to face anyone at that weight not because he's talented, but bc he legitimately considers them smaller guys. This would also explain why he so easily and readily looked towards the 155 title. He and Kavanaugh always knew he is easily a 155 fighter.

20. He's not the only one cutting massive weight to make 145. Most of them do including Jose. We shall see.. =) Wait till that soccer leg kick comes out. He only flashed it a couple of times against Frankie because he didn't even need it. Conor isn't going to like his mobility getting taken away with a few swift kicks.