The Official teachers Are Not Underpaid Thread

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by mandrin13, Jun 15, 2013.

I get that, I'm just saying I don't see why we're talking about teachers being overpaid when superintendents are potentially making four times as much. 

2. nigger I make $13,000 a year and I have a bachelor's degree. I'm fucking underpaid

3. Probably because you sound ignorant using words like "nigger"

4. #44 mandrin13, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013

Thanks for the link, good read, with good points, but that site really seems to focus on the "attack of teachers", so I have to question the article a bit.  I do think that often times the school board is not looking out for the teachers interests, which is a large part of our educational problem.  Sad to see 300,000 layoffs since 2008, when the population is constantly rising, clearly one of many problems with the system.  I appreciate you actually providing something to the thread.

Agreed, and as mentioned the classroom sizes are only getting larger, making it tougher for all teachers

5. From what I have discussed with some of my college professors is that it is not as much the hourly pay that they are getting as it is the hours spent working outside the job that they are not paid for. They are also complaining that their hours are cut so that they don't get full time work benefits (even my honors professors have this problem, and they are GREAT teachers). There are also the ones who don't get to work in the summer so they have 3 months without pay usually (there is an option to receive summer pay, but it is kinda unfair apparently).

I agree with this.  Having your results impact whether or not you get federal funding was obviously going to lead to problems.  Its no wonder we see a small population of teachers passing kids that probably shouldnt pass, just to keep their jobs.  Clearly the entire system needs to be reformed, as this hurts the children, and our future as a nation.

7. lol sorry but that's what you get with a bachelors In "political science" or "psychology"

Psychology's a bad example because that can be a very lucrative profession. You need the right personality for it though. 

But I get your point, you can't expect a good job with an English degree, unless you're actually gonna teach it, for which you'd need another degree. 

9. Psychology's a bad example because that can be a very lucrative profession. You need the right personality for it though.

But I get your point, you can't expect a good job with an English degree, unless you're actually gonna teach it, for which you'd need another degree.
    </blockquote>
    Psychology can be very lucrative......not for a BA though.

That's one of those careers that if you don't have a PhD then your opinion is worthless

10. I live in a pretty rich town and our public school teachers make anywhere from 60-100k. Some of them definitely do not deserve that much. If I have any problems with teachers its the unions.

Probably because I was on full scholarship (tuition+dorm) for six of my eight semesters of college. Take that nigger

12. #52 mandrin13, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013

That makes less sense than my theory.  Now please stop derailing the thread.  Thanks

13. This is true. My friend teaches 4th grade and most days he is grading papers or making lesson plans until 9 or 10 every single night. He has to be the school by 7:30 every morning. So sometimes this mother fucker works 15 hours a day and makes less than 30 grand a year. Underpaid? I would definitely say so. Especially considering it is one of the most important jobs in existence.

14. I live in a shitty town and the public school teachers make 25-30k. There are a quite a few crappy teachers, but there are a hefty amount that deserve a better salary. I feel bad for the ones that have 2 jobs...

15. #55 mandrin13, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
    We have already covered the my friend works harder than everybody else topic, and how some areas make much more, or less than another.  Can we move onto topics such as the no child left behind act, or ways that the system could be improved.  These are areas i am not as familiar with, so would love to hear some first hand opinions on this.  Thanks

16. My friend hates no child left behind. I will ask him tomorrow what the biggest downsides of the bill are.

17. Thanks, I appreciate it.  I am under the impression its terrible, but dont know enough about it to have a justified opinion. 

One of the big issues I've heard about with the No Child Left Behind act is that it's far too geared toward standardized testing. 

Here are a couple of interesting articles about the problem with it;
    http://progressive.org/mag/hobart0808.html
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/timothysiegel/2011/04/02/the-problem-with-no-child-left-behind/

19. Payment should be determined on there work. Teachers are how doctors, ,lawyers, and scientist are made. I also feel that if a teacher is not functioning at peak operation they should be eligible to be fired